HOW TO: FZJ80 Throttle Cable Replacement (1 Viewer)

Hey guys,
Thanks for the useful topic, But can anyone help me with the throttle cable adjustment in 3F carburetor engine? I have a loose cable also.

Trusty Rusty

SILVER Star
Man oh man. Everyone should start with a worn out throttle cable so that they can fully appreciate how smooth a new one is. Don't get me wrong, the 1FZ is still a dog, but it is night and day difference. It feels like I picked up 100hp. 🤣

Great write-up, thanks!

MrMikeyG

SILVER Star
I had no idea either since I had never driven another 80 series. My Brother-in-law drove it once though and said something about effort needed vs. throttle response. I now have a new one installed, and it's waaaaay better.

Trusty Rusty

SILVER Star
@LC4LIFE - you asked earlier about any sort of protection - stole @Kernal 's idea and wrapped just about the full length with 3/8" ID fuel line tubing.

The 5' roll covered the whole thing - I split it at all of the hold points. Looks factory and should offer some good longterm protection from the heat!

50EB7162-28F6-4BC0-8C4A-0BB746649652_1_105_c.jpeg
2747626E-0C8B-4BF0-856C-E3B1FE0802AA_1_105_c.jpeg

Doing this with the hand throttle cable attached made it a 5 banana job...

95% of my throttle hang problem is solved, however, it still over revs by about 500 rpms and still require tipping the throttle slightly, a huge improve over the 3k RPMs previously. I suspect the throttle linkage is sticky, can folks share your experience with cleaning the throttle linkage?

cvenom96

SILVER Star
I've tried using lithium grease spray in the ends and that's helped for a while.

I've tried using lithium grease spray in the ends and that's helped for a while.
Its smoother in lit grease from my prior bush fixes while on a trip! I think the throttle body/ linkage needs to be pulled off for a full clean but haven't seen anyone done it on mud yet.

May be a dumb question as the FJ80 has a different engine all together, but would this write up still apply for a 1991 LC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom