How much would you sell your truck for? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A childhood friend, who I'm current friends with on FB, restored and owns my dad's Austin Healey. I don't think he'll ever sell it, but he has promised me 1st dibs.

It was originally BRG with painted spoke wheels. Not sure why he would change the color.

View attachment 3204736
Beautiful car! Good that you are childhood friends with the current owner and have 1st dibs. I’ve been a Healey fan since I was a kid after seeing the BRG 3000 in the Tears for Fears video. I‘m the current caretaker of my Dad’s TR3A (poor man’s Healey) which we drive regularly. Hard to beat the fun factor of that car! Here’s a pic of his old Vette that I’m wanting to reacquire.

D5C3B9DA-9B4B-41BE-9289-67CE1DC1F4F3.jpeg

This is now my standard answer. Some of the people who ask such question think this is a toy they can just pick up with their spare coins. If you tell them 30 grand you’d come off as rude.
So it is with the nouveau riche in every generation. You've just got a crapload of that to deal with in your 'hood. I'm up to my eyeballs in it too, being Glendale adjacent, with that whole AMG crowd. :rolleyes:

I bought mine in 1976, it was only 3 years old. Over the years I've had several people approach me and ask if it was for sale. I've never put a for sale sign on it but they would still stop and ask. I'd talk with them for as long as they had time for. In the end it would always end with "It's not for sale." They seemed to understand.

I recently went to pick mine up from the mechanic, and he handed me a business card of a guy who said he'd pay me $1,500 over my asking price if I ever want to sell it. Gotta respect the approach!

I recently went to pick mine up from the mechanic, and he handed me a business card of a guy who said he'd pay me $1,500 over my asking price if I ever want to sell it. Gotta respect the approach!

That's not an offer. Let see what happens when you pick a number he doesn't like.

I wouldn’t have the nerve to call his bluff but I’d sure make certain it was the “happy”number if I did.

mine is probably worth like 20k once it’s running (supposedly it is only one part away from starting up according to the expert mechanic I’m working with), but I’d ask for at least 50k. It was my first car, it participated in a Guinness world record, and it’s fantastic to drive and work on. 50k would be able to get me any generation of cruiser I want and then some cash to spare

if i had to think about it i guess 38 would get my attention enough.... to tell you no

I'll take his card. 😆

I bought mine in '91 and I can no longer build another like it. If I was going to sell it, I'd need to get enough money to have another one built to my very high standards.

What do you recon it would cost to have a 40 built from the ground up with a galvanized & powder coated frame, rebuilt FF front & rear axles, rebuilt transmission & T-case, low mileage TPI engine, rust free tub & body, Metal-Tech cage, Scout II power steering, restored hardtop with vent windows, pre-75 hatch, TJ rear bench, restored Fj40 seats, rebuilt 8274 winch, 4-wheel disc brakes, two new fuel tanks, 33 inch tires (or 16" equivalent), and a well good paint job.

Doing most of the work myself, it would likely cost $30-50k+ to rebuild it. Since I'm no longer 18 and can't build it again, I'd have to have one built to my specs. I'd estimate it would likely cost north of $80 k. Add in sentimental value, and I'd want at least $100k USD to make it worth my while probably even $150k.

Who am I kidding... It's not for sale for any price. After 30 years, it's brought me to hell and back several times and I'm not interested in starting over. I'd much rather drop 10 or 20 k into it and have a mint 40 built by my own hands and my own specifications. While I'm at it, I'll stretch my 40 into a 43 and have my ultimate 43.

I don't have any real attachment to my Landcruiser.
What I do have is far more money and time plugged into it than it is worth. 😆
It has been a fun project, and continues to be one. I'm still a long ways from not having a list of larger projects to accomplish.
There will always be little things. Everything is in a state of degradation.

I do enjoy driving it though, and I do enjoy the attention it receives. They are unique vehicles. A different driving experience than anything else I've owned.
You claim no attachment to your 40-- yet you claim your attachment to it in your final sentences--please admit it--you are smitten, and you will never let this thing go without serious wishful thinking--just enjoy it while you can--won't be long before there is no "gas"

$30K

You claim no attachment to your 40-- yet you claim your attachment to it in your final sentences--please admit it--you are smitten, and you will never let this thing go without serious wishful thinking--just enjoy it while you can--won't be long before there is no "gas"

When I can no longer get gas, I’ll be forced to convert it to electric… unless I convert it to propane, waste vegetable oil, or to burn kitchen scraps.

Meh, I don't have any real attachment to my specific cruiser.

Electric vehicles have a long ways to go before they're even prevalent, much less the majority of vehicles on the road. The tech is no where near useful yet. It's not likely to get useful in the <20 years I've got left.

I bought mine in '91 and I can no longer build another like it. If I was going to sell it, I'd need to get enough money to have another one built to my very high standards.

What do you recon it would cost to have a 40 built from the ground up with a galvanized & powder coated frame, rebuilt FF front & rear axles, rebuilt transmission & T-case, low mileage TPI engine, rust free tub & body, Metal-Tech cage, Scout II power steering, restored hardtop with vent windows, pre-75 hatch, TJ rear bench, restored Fj40 seats, rebuilt 8274 winch, 4-wheel disc brakes, two new fuel tanks, 33 inch tires (or 16" equivalent), and a well good paint job.

Doing most of the work myself, it would likely cost $30-50k+ to rebuild it. Since I'm no longer 18 and can't build it again, I'd have to have one built to my specs. I'd estimate it would likely cost north of $80 k. Add in sentimental value, and I'd want at least $100k USD to make it worth my while probably even $150k.

Who am I kidding... It's not for sale for any price. After 30 years, it's brought me to hell and back several times and I'm not interested in starting over. I'd much rather drop 10 or 20 k into it and have a mint 40 built by my own hands and my own specifications. While I'm at it, I'll stretch my 40 into a 43 and have my ultimate 43.
To pay a reputable shop you can trust to do everything you listed, with today's inflated rates, I think it would cost north of $100k USD. Not including the truck to start with. I'm seeing door handles listed for more than the cost of my first project car.

To pay a reputable shop you can trust to do everything you listed, with today's inflated rates, I think it would cost north of $100k USD. Not including the truck to start with. I'm seeing door handles listed for more than the cost of my first project car.

I bought my first set of Fj40 headrests for $10 USD from a wrecker… years later listed them on eBay for $2 and they sold for $185 USD. At the time I thought it was insane. Now when someone says they have a set for $350 buyers are asking if they can get two sets.

I was initially going to throw out North of $100k but thought that number was too high and lowered it to $80k. I agree though. After literally putting hundreds of hours of work into it there’s no way I could ever replace it.

And I think I missed mentioning the engine driven onboard air with the 4 gallon tank(s) I also have squeezed underneath… and rear airbags to compensate for variable load… with a dedicated regulator which allows me to adjust the rear ride height.

I’m definitely using that one next time lol. “I smuggled it on a banana boat from Central America”. Goal achieved when the guy tells his friends the crazy guy he met at the gas station
You don't understand your potential buyer. Like, we'll get kinda nervous if the neighbors see us get two death certificates for one person, but, that is only because my grandparents were smart enough to get two birth certificates as a present for when their children grow up. Purchasing a pile of rust, can't be that hard.

Seeing the prices now I got a killer deal on mine. Couldn't replace it for close to what I paid.

As much as I like it anything is for sale for the right price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom