How much would you sell your truck for? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I get this question every so often.... and I always have to think really hard about it. And I can never come up with a number that sounds right, I always end up saying NFS.
If a person with a brief case full of $$, came up to you and asked how much to sell... how much would you sell it for? (Serious offer sell,, Including taxes you need to pay and fess or whatever else)

To make things a little more complicated, my 40s was my first vehicle. (Completely not drivable, but first none the less)

Here are some earlier year pics when I was in high school 03-04. Almost 20 years ago now...

20221209_113112.jpg

When it was nicer looking I’d get asked and I would say a huge number (at the time 20 years ago lol)

I told a guy 30k … he laughed and said it’s not worth it

I told him it’s worth it to me … I’m not selling it to make you happy :meh:

I’d sell it if it was worth it to me

After 30 years of driving it as my DD it’s not getting sold anytime soon

Just like people wouldn’t sell off their children … well … maybe one or two lol

after owning a few old 4x4s - mostly classic early broncos, i think people just want to know "what will you take for it?" - you get asked this all the time - i dont like to be rude but - last guy said yeah that would make a great hunting rig ..like he could get for $2000...
and then there are A LOT of people in the world who thrive on people asking if something is for sale so they can tell you NO. my dad a perfect example of both types..he is 78 and has accumulated all kinds of basically unfinshed basket case projects that he will NEVER get done and he gets decent offers and "naw i aint selling it"...all that crap is gonna be bulldozed in a big hole when he passes probably

I’ve been asked quite a few times. I’ve landed on something like “I think it’s probably worth more to me than what you’d be willing to pay” or “you wouldn’t believe how much I’ve put into it”. Seems to be a nice way to say “p*ss off” without offending the person asking.

Last edited:
I've got my first vehicle I ever bought. Had it nearly 30 years now. I could never sell it. I keep it running so my family can enjoy and have it continue to be a part of my story, even if it's not mint condition or super rare. Many times it's not even practical to own. But it puts a smile on my face like nothing else can. It's an old friend that reminds me of my past and doesn't judge. Can't put a price on that.

Interesting, I at times ponder selling my 67 FJ40 and then I look at what other vehicle I would replace it for - those are usually in the 40k range. So, that’s what’s I would take, but really don’t think I will sell. But north of 40 would get me considering 😀

The price was like 40K last year, now I think I'd be more inclined to say $50K.

Bottom line is they're going to have to want it more than I do, because it damn sure isn't worth $50K.

Of course it depends on the condition and how attached you are to it. I sold my 40 many years ago for $4K. No regrets at all. It was a POS.

We get the question all the time. Also, get the question, "What is she worth?" I usually give an honest answer of what I've been offered and what I believe the market value is. When I say $35K to $40K I usually get a positive comment. Then I say Ms. Scarlet is not for sale because I wouldn't want to go through the brain damage of replacing her. I know every little rust spot, every little leak, and how she like to me treated. Lastly, the wife would divorce me for selling her 65th birthday present.

A guy bought some parts from me a couple weeks ago and said he’d give me $8k for mine….

Everything is for sale to me. But as said above, it’s going to cost you way more than it’s worth to get my FJ40 or my Chevelle, because the only way it’s sold is if I get enough to buy another, do everything I want and still come out with enough cash to have a roll party.

You get the best reactions on that question with :
" Im sorry I really can't sell it, it was a gift"

Bought my 1970 FJ40 in 73.
At the time I was not particular what kind of four-by I got, I just wanted one.
I had no credit so was turned down by every dealer in town.
Then one day I saw the 40 in a used car lot and stopped in.
It is an involved story so I'll just say the salesman cosigned for me.
In the following years I had a couple other 4X4's but the Cruiser just had a certain charm.
My wife and I have literally been to all four corners of the U.S. in it.
We have four wheeled and camped with it many places.
We have slept in it, made love in it, froze in it, braved the desert heat in it and even laid it on it's side one trip.
We practically raised our son in it.
He 50 years old now and says his most vivid memory was sitting in the back seat and many time thinking we was going to go off the edge of the world because the only thing he could see was blue sky as we came up over a steep incline.
Had guys ask how much and even it I said $10,000 they would back peddle.
My usual price is $25K when asked but don't know what I would do it someone called me on it.
How do you put a price on part of your life?
It is not a shiny specimen like some of the rigs I see here but it is solid.
Pretty much been a garage queen for several years now and I have thought about selling it but thanks to my wife haven't and I know I would regret it if I did.
Just too many memories to let go of.

We should just start playing stupid and/or lying just to measure reactions...

-"Nah, I paid almost $500 for this old j**p"

-"I can't sell it, it's an illegal import"

-"My wife would be mad at me, she gave birth in it."

-"I can't sell it, it was a gift to me from my uncle, the Sultan of Brunei when I graduated high school"

-"Sorry, I've hauled so many bodies into the woods with it, I just couldn't part with it."

-"I've got big plans. I'm starting the conversion to electric motors next month"

-Funny you should ask, I was actually thinking about selling it. What do you think it's worth?"

-"I've been thinking about getting out of the game. I've brought thousands of underage girls and tons of fentanyl across the border with this thing." (This needs a loving look and slap and on a body panel)

-"I just got this thing last week, you're the second person to ask."

-"This was my son's. He recently died in a freak donkey accident. That boy sure loved ass."

We should just start playing stupid and/or lying just to measure reactions...

-"Nah, I paid almost $500 for this old j**p"
Lol...mine was $500.00

-"This was my son's. He recently died in a freak donkey accident. That boy sure loved ass."
HIJACK - ^^ Brother, that made me bust out laughing, out loud! GOOD ONE! ^^

Back to the regular topic, carry on.....

Yep, I get that question from time to time.....I just reply, "Sell what?" or "I've never thought about it, but thanks."

If it a legitimate conversation on value I will quote a legitimate number. If it's a question of how much I'll take for it, that number usually gets tripled or more. It's a NFS answer. I figure if they're stupid enuff to pay it, I can replace it with another one in better condition and then still have cash left over to piss off the purist while I'm ripping out the driveline, and adapting something more to my liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom