How much should I pay? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I’m completely new to Land Cruisers and have put a deposit down on a short wheel base 1992 Landcruiser Prado LX70. She’s gorgeous but needs a new exhaust, and a good bit of TLC in the inside. It’s up for €6,400 and wondering if that’s too much to pay for one? I’m told the price will go up and either way I will get my money back but Ive no idea if it’s a bargain or if I’m paying too much. I’ll have to oil up or change callipers and possibly get a new battery for it. There’s abit of rust but not severe, head light needs changing and the two seats have been taken out of the back. I think she’s pretty unique and a good project but I’m being told left right and centre to settle with a safe car

IMG_4482.png

Hello,

The truck looks good but more pictures are necessary.

Check the frame, underside and drive train for rust. The picture shows what appear to be rust speckles below the grill. Make sure it is superficial.

Check for rust bubbling in the windscreen base and the door sills.

Remember: do not spend money you cannot afford to lose.

If there is no rust, the price looks good enough.

Juan

Be prepared to do plenty of maintenance yourself. The LJ7x Prados are a great vehicle but do require a dedicated owner. Rust and the engine are the two weak links in the platform, both can be fixed but could easily exceed the value of the vehicle if you have to pay someone else to do the work.

Thanks very much guys! The only bit of rust is the exhaust which will definitly need to be replaced..all other rust is superficial. I am hoping to keep it and do it up myself. Are parts difficult to come by for this particular model? Also are there any specific issues this model would have?

If you can get it.... history of work and maintenance can be a great help with a decision like this. Though I am a little concerned that the previous owner would keep any records if they are not even able to replace a headlight.

What engine does it have? 2LT, 2LT-E, or 1KZ? Mileage?

There are a couple of PRADO gurus on the forum that have a fount of knowledge that would be able to help. If you like wrenching, and like to learn, and the PRADO in question had at least the regular maintenance done, then that price is very reasonable, and this forum would be your new home.

All the best with your decision! :cheers:

The Jeep is a 2.4L and has 204,000km on it. I do have another car which I can use while doing up this one but I was hoping to have the Prado as my full time vehicle at some point. I know Toyotas are very reliable but am I being naive thinking that this Jeep could be my day to day car? Is the resale value on these jeeps going up or again am I seeing it all through rose tinted glasses because it’s a Toyota and I’ve put too much faith in them? :/

Also the guy has all of the parts but he hasn’t the time to do anything as he is too busy with his son who is unwell.

There is no reason that it couldn't end up as your daily driver, but I would highly recommend keeping a backup car for when something goes wrong. Parts availability is actually quite good for these, but be prepared to wait several days or more for parts to arrive.

The biggest concern with the engine is if the cylinder head has been replaced with a newer version. The originals had a poorly designed coolant passage and would crack and leak coolant into the cylinders and combustion gasses into the cooling system, causing overheating and pitting of the cylinders. If the vehicle is completely stock plan to upgrade the cooling system with a better radiator fan, high flow thermostat, and high viscosity fan clutch fluid. Other modifications to consider would be a pyrometer, intercooler, and adjusting the boost or even upgrading the turbo.

Given your location I would assume that it won't be seeing a lot of high speed travel or big hills? LJ Prados that come to the US often have problems because our use case (80mph interstate speed limits in a lot of places) are not within the original design parameters or use case for the vehicle. They are much happier at lower speeds like 90-110km/h.

Have a read through this thread for more info: Ideas for improving the 2LTE - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ideas-for-improving-the-2lte.680759/

The Jeep is a 2.4L and has 204,000km on it. I do have another car which I can use while doing up this one but I was hoping to have the Prado as my full time vehicle at some point. I know Toyotas are very reliable but am I being naive thinking that this Jeep could be my day to day car? Is the resale value on these jeeps going up or again am I seeing it all through rose tinted glasses because it’s a Toyota and I’ve put too much faith in them? :/

Hello,

Mileage is rather low.

Check the engine type. It can be either a 2L-T or a 2L-TE.

The 2L-T engine is reliable as it is. On the other hand, the 2L-TE has cooling issues, namely a head that is prone to cracking.

If you have a 2L-TE engine, there are some threads on how to make it reliable that you should check. @GTSSportCoupe has done some excellent work in this subject.

Yes, your truck can be a daily driver, provided you keep it in good shape.

Regarding resale value, Land Cruisers hold their value, but opinions vary. Sometimes you end up pouring a lot of money in to make it the way you want it, and the money you get after you sell it is less than your expenditure. Sometimes you break even. Sometimes you do make a profit. And sometimes, the time and effort spent weighs in and prevents you from selling, regardless of the price.

As mentioned above, it is better to think of it as a project car that can be a daily driver.

Parts are available. They can be pricey, though. There are several part suppliers and you may have to wait for their delivery. Make sure you get all the parts you can from the chap you mention.

Last but not least, try not to refer to it as a Jeep. It is a Land Cruiser.

Juan

Last edited:
Also the guy has all of the parts but he hasn’t the time to do anything as he is too busy with his son who is unwell.
Let him tell what parts. Might give an idea what needs to be done.

As Onur said: Be prepared for a project; mentally and financially.
If a y possible: Have a not involved, thus non-biased person with automotive knowledge check the car.
Check for rust as mentioned: Window frame, door sills, gutters, rockers, wheel wells, frame (also on top), any mounting points for suspension, axle linkage,. floor panels, foot wells (under carpet!). A magnet helps on places often affected by bondo, e.g. wheel arches. Be suspicious on any are that has fresh paint or underbody sealant on it. Check the hardlines for brakes and fuel for corrosion, as well as the fittings.
Engine compression test would be good, testrun is a must. Listen for weird sounds (windows down), check for smooth shifting, straight run and good steering.
Also test the 4x4 / locking hubs. Slowly drive sharp turns in 4x4 with steering full to one side: Any knocking noise in the front? That would indicate weak CV joints.
Check for oil and other fluid leaks after the testdrive. If any possible: Get it on a hoist and check play of wheels and steering gear and prop-shafts.
Check coolant and oil. No mix, coolant clear, no bubbles in coolant, no milky cappuccino oil, no oil leaks, no coolant leaks.
A 4x4 is bought from under it. So: Bring a torch and goggles and crawl under it.
needs a new exhaust, and a good bit of TLC in the inside.
Be aware that trim parts are the most difficult to get for old vehicles. They are discontinued first and break first.

Usual stuff like brakes, wheel bearings, knuckle assembly, stearing linkage, belts, hoses, soft lines in brake- & fuellines, even suspension and exhaust can all be replaced fairly easy (if you can wrench yourself), thats just time and $$ (and fun). (Be prepared to do it sooner or later)
Engine, injection pump, alternator, servopump, gearbox, tranny, diffs and body: That's what matters.
It's an adventure, but also great fun.
Good Luck Ralf

Hi All,

I have bought the Landcruiser and it’s being delivered tonight! Thanks very much for you help, I will take on everything that has been said. I’ll be on this quite abit I reckon for the next 2 years I’ll say and looking forward to it ☺️ fingers crossed this was a good buy, either way life is a learning curve I guess 🥹

Congratulations. Welcome to the family.
Sometimes you just have to jump. I did the same on some aspects of my Cruiser and didn't regret it.
Just make sure you get fun out of it. Do not only focus on its improvement needs, but get it roadworthy & registered and just drive it!
We need 📸 pics, please.
Good Luck Ralf

Hi All,

I have bought the Landcruiser and it’s being delivered tonight! Thanks very much for you help, I will take on everything that has been said. I’ll be on this quite abit I reckon for the next 2 years I’ll say and looking forward to it ☺️ fingers crossed this was a good buy, either way life is a learning curve I guess 🥹
Wow, congratulations! They are a fun vehicle for the right owner, and now you will be able to find out if that is you.

First and foremost forum lesson: you will get quicker and more help from folks here if you never, NEVER, EVER call your Land Cruiser a "JEEP"

That one was for free, lol.

Congratulations again, and welcome to the club! :cheers:

Hahaha thanks very much for giving me that life saving tip @Rigster ! I love a wee risky jump @Felde so it’s nice to be in a group that are likeminded!

@Triona Congratulations! Likely your version of the Prado has a mechanical injection version engine called the 2LT-II. It has no EGR emissions equipment. The mechanical injection and lack of emissions makes it much more reliable and easier to work on. The more problematic engine everyone refers to is the 2LTE. If you post a picture of the engine I could confirm which you have.

I have the 2LTE in an LJ78, but made a bunch of upgrades/repairs to increase reliability. It's been my daily driver for 12 years now with no problems that ever left me stranded. Although the oldest vehicle I've owned, it has been the most reliable and I would not hesitate to drive it long distances to remote places at any time.

@Triona Congratulations! Likely your version of the Prado has a mechanical injection version engine called the 2LT-II. It has no EGR emissions equipment. The mechanical injection and lack of emissions makes it much more reliable and easier to work on. The more problematic engine everyone refers to is the 2LTE. If you post a picture of the engine I could confirm which you have.

I have the 2LTE in an LJ78, but made a bunch of upgrades/repairs to increase reliability. It's been my daily driver for 12 years now with no problems that ever left me stranded. Although the oldest vehicle I've owned, it has been the most reliable and I would not hesitate to drive it long distances to remote places at any time.
Ok great, once I get the landcruiser I’ll take more photos ☺️ she’s a turbo engine but hopefully she is the one without the faults 🤞

Wait you bought this without knowing the above pictures/condition before purchase??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom