1995 KZJ78W Land Cruiser Prado (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Everyone,

Picked up this cruiser last week in Okinawa, I'll be here for another 2 and a half years so may as well ride in style. She's got north of 300k on her but runs like a top. Fresh paint and a new set of 31"s and M/T rims to top it off. Not gonna build it too much until I get back to the states. I've had Toyota's before in the states, but this one is my new pride and joy. Any feedback or ideas are welcome. If you're in Oki too lets get together sometime!

To do in Japan-
-Apple Carplay touchscreen head unit
-Eng-Tek diesel tuner - Does anyone know what the LED's mean? Left-most one just blinks green.
-3-way front speakers 4"
-Driver underseat sub
-Black steering wheel
-EGR delete kit [Vanlife] w/ pyrometer + clean intake manifold.
-Butterfly delete? Does anyone notice anything? I'm not sure if these have a dumb or smart EGR system.
-High flow thermostat + drill 3 small holes on outer edge.
-3" downpipe + exhaust, hard to find an exhaust shop to do this here.
-Boost gauge
-Vintage KC lights w/ Toyota covers
-Factory Brushguard - Does anyone have one for sale here?
-Figure out lighting for the dash - Dash lights work perfect, some of the switch lights are just burnt out I presume.

To do in US-
-120 series 1KZ-TE head
-Larger turbo
-35"s, regear?
-Rear e-locker
-Front axle refresh
-Tow hitch

Some pictures for your enjoyment!
IMG_9573.jpeg

IMG_0782.jpeg

Nice and shiny! Looks good, and I like your list of technical plans. Would love more info on the Eng-Tek tuner; sounds very cool and would probably work for 2LTE as well.

I'm curious about your goal to replace the cylinder head to a 120 series 1KZTE one. Is that one improved somehow over the early ones?

Nice and shiny! Looks good, and I like your list of technical plans. Would love more info on the Eng-Tek tuner; sounds very cool and would probably work for 2LTE as well.

I'm curious about your goal to replace the cylinder head to a 120 series 1KZTE one. Is that one improved somehow over the early ones?
Bought it off Facebook here and spliced it into 3 wires that go into the ECU. I can tell it has a little more pickup, and if I switch the dial to one of the power modes it significantly picks up and decides to dump a gallon of diesel right out the exhaust. will be great for towing when I'm back in the states.

As for the head question the later series heads are the same other than the valve length and some light casting changes. 103.5mm to 104.4mm valve length, I'm not sure what's completely different with the casting but it is said to be less prone to cracking due to that way its poured. Will update in a few years lol.

It's not cool to post pictures of someone else's rig and claim it as your own. Ha ha. Just kidding but seriously though I have one that's a carbon copy on the outside at least. Did you also buy yours from Dream Run? I just picked mine up from getting a bunch of work done at Outcast Garage in Ishikawa off of 255. I got Dobinson's 2.5" lift kit and steering damper, 10 blade fan upgrade, 76 degree thermostat, Front end rebuild, manual hub conversion, brake rotors surfaced with new pads, and timing belt with new water pump. Future plans include a new center console that Outcast is working on as well as eventually a new AMC head and gauges. Might eventually do a new bumper with a swing out tire carrier so I can run with a full size spare.
IMG_7993.jpeg

It's not cool to post pictures of someone else's rig and claim it as your own. Ha ha. Just kidding but seriously though I have one that's a carbon copy on the outside at least. Did you also buy yours from Dream Run? I just picked mine up from getting a bunch of work done at Outcast Garage in Ishikawa off of 255. I got Dobinson's 2.5" lift kit and steering damper, 10 blade fan upgrade, 76 degree thermostat, Front end rebuild, manual hub conversion, brake rotors surfaced with new pads, and timing belt with new water pump. Future plans include a new center console that Outcast is working on as well as eventually a new AMC head and gauges. Might eventually do a new bumper with a swing out tire carrier so I can run with a full size spare. View attachment 3443896
I know Kadena when I see it! And yes Dream Run was my go to as well! I feel like I stole mine since the frame was brand new! Do you have any idea what the color code is? How do you like the lift kit and what size are those tires! Looks beautiful! I think a gentleman by the name of Will Meredith can get you alot of parts like the center console and a bunch of other things from New Zealand if you need em'. I might go with stock height for now as I need to pass JCI in another 2 years. After that I'll be throwing a couple grand into it before I leave. Would you recommend Outcast? Sorry for all the questions lol!

I know Kadena when I see it! And yes Dream Run was my go to as well! I feel like I stole mine since the frame was brand new! Do you have any idea what the color code is? How do you like the lift kit and what size are those tires! Looks beautiful! I think a gentleman by the name of Will Meredith can get you alot of parts like the center console and a bunch of other things from New Zealand if you need em'. I might go with stock height for now as I need to pass JCI in another 2 years. After that I'll be throwing a couple grand into it before I leave. Would you recommend Outcast? Sorry for all the questions lol!
Here's more recent pic with the Yokohama ATs I have on it now. I like them much better than the Kenda MTs that were on it. They are 285/70/16s I think. The guys at dream run called the color Mustard. I think the guy at Outcast Garage knows what code it is. He told me but I forgot to write it down. So far I like my experience with Outcast. It's owned by an American so no language barriers are a plus and as far as I know he's the only shop on island that specializes in Land Cruisers and if there's anything he can't do he knows who to go to.
IMG_9102.jpeg

you guys have some great looking LC’s i was looking at them on the dreamrun lot as well, they seem to get a lot of LCs from auction as of late.
outcast is NOT the LC guys on island, they are far from t, Craigs just owns a LC and uses you guys to experiment and test what he read online.

there are 2 actual LC shops in Okinawa, one is in Chiba a outside kadena and the other is in Ginowan, unfortunately they don’t have the best English but both have been working on LC’s for over 3 decades and they are we we locals use for our LC issues.

not sure if you guys will ever take the twins out on the trails but If you do, we will se you out there and always willing to pull you out…lol

you guys have some great looking LC’s i was looking at them on the dreamrun lot as well, they seem to get a lot of LCs from auction as of late.
outcast is NOT the LC guys on island, they are far from t, Craigs just owns a LC and uses you guys to experiment and test what he read online.

there are 2 actual LC shops in Okinawa, one is in Chiba a outside kadena and the other is in Ginowan, unfortunately they don’t have the best English but both have been working on LC’s for over 3 decades and they are we we locals use for our LC issues.

not sure if you guys will ever take the twins out on the trails but If you do, we will se you out there and always willing to pull you out…lol
I've heard the same thing, need my spill valve replaced and I don't have the weird tool it requires. Will definitely be taking her out on some trails, haven't seen too many group opportunities other than the jimny guys, might take 5 of em to pull me out :rofl:. If you have the names of those places off the top of your head would you mind dropping them for future reference? And let's see yours!

IMG_0944.jpg

Hello Everyone,

Picked up this cruiser last week in Okinawa, I'll be here for another 2 and a half years so may as well ride in style. She's got north of 300k on her but runs like a top. Fresh paint and a new set of 31"s and M/T rims to top it off. Not gonna build it too much until I get back to the states. I've had Toyota's before in the states, but this one is my new pride and joy. Any feedback or ideas are welcome. If you're in Oki too lets get together sometime!

To do in Japan-
-Apple Carplay touchscreen head unit
-Eng-Tek diesel tuner - Does anyone know what the LED's mean? Left-most one just blinks green.
-3-way front speakers 4"
-Driver underseat sub
-Black steering wheel
-EGR delete kit [Vanlife] w/ pyrometer + clean intake manifold.
-Butterfly delete? Does anyone notice anything? I'm not sure if these have a dumb or smart EGR system.
-High flow thermostat + drill 3 small holes on outer edge.
-3" downpipe + exhaust, hard to find an exhaust shop to do this here.
-Boost gauge
-Vintage KC lights w/ Toyota covers
-Factory Brushguard - Does anyone have one for sale here?
-Figure out lighting for the dash - Dash lights work perfect, some of the switch lights are just burnt out I presume.

To do in US-
-120 series 1KZ-TE head
-Larger turbo
-35"s, regear?
-Rear e-locker
-Front axle refresh
-Tow hitch

Some pictures for your enjoyment!
View attachment 3436219
View attachment 3436221
Sweet ride! Here in Yokota with a 95 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom