How do you really remove Asian hubs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have to remove a damaged Asain hub from my rig but am having a hell of a time getting it off:bang:. I am ready to break out the BFH. Anyone have any tricks to remove these suckers? Thanks

Have you popped out the cone washers?

A swift tap with a brass hammer works well.

If the cone washers are stuck you can use a brass drift. Put it on the end of the studs and give it a good smack. Make sure to have the nuts on the other ones so you dont lose any. If it is just stuck on the hub you may need to pound a screwdriver between the two. Hopefully the snap ring is not whats jammed, if so you will need to pound it off. Hope this helps.

Ben

The PO crashed and bitched up the bumper,fender and dented the housing of the hub preventing it to turn on or off. I smacked the hell out of the studs with a brass punch trying to loosen the cone washers but i'm still stuck. Heat maybe? Thanks

Howdy! First remove the face plate with the 5 or 6 bolts. I think they are 10mm. Pull out the guts with that. Then, there is either a bolt and washer on the end of the splins shaft, or a C clip to remove. Last, as others have mentioned, is the nuts, locks, and cone washers. Soak the cones with penetrating oil, whatever, and try tapping on them with a brass drift. You can also tap on the body with either brass or rubber hammer to help. If that doesn't work, then tap a lttle harder. So what's damaged?? John

The PO crashed and bitched up the bumper,fender and dented the housing of the hub preventing it to turn on or off. I smacked the hell out of the studs with a brass punch trying to loosen the cone washers but i'm still stuck. Heat maybe? Thanks
Howdy! The cone washers have a split in them. Try to catch that edge with the punch and knock them sideways. John

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

If the cone washers have been on there for awhile, they can be stubborn to break loose. Gotta be patient. I use a brass drift on the end of the stud, just keep striking it with a hammer. Might take 40 or more hits before the cone pops loose. Heat and penetrating oil help. Patience and good aim with the hammer are key.

If the cone washers have been on there for awhile, they can be stubborn to break loose. Gotta be patient. I use a brass drift on the end of the stud, just keep striking it with a hammer. Might take 40 or more hits before the cone pops loose. Heat and penetrating oil help. Patience and good aim with the hammer are key.

I went through this about a year ago, patience is the key. I kept tapping the cone washers with a dead blow hammer alternating with a drift plus a lot of WD-40, it finally worked.

I use a small screwdriver as a wedge and just tap lightly into the cone washer split from the side horizontally. This helps it "loosen" its death grip.
You don't want to shove it in too far, just enough to see the washer move a bit.
Then it is easier to remove. Use Never Seize in small amounts when re-assembling. Makes removal easier next time.

like they said bout they cones.

and after it comes apart a couple of times they pop right out after 1 to 2 good hits.

The key is soaking the cones with PB Blaster - Kroil, a couple of times a day, and using a little heat and spray 'em down again - waiting - and then whack with a brass drift on the end of the stud. Use a 3lb hammer when whacking. Mine were rusted $hit and they still came off fairly easy with the right prep.

S.

At least i'm not alone having a hard time removing these suckers. Thanks everyone. Joe.

32940.gif

This is how I get them, tap right next to the cone washer with the punch end, it will usually vibrate them loose. Of course try the brass punch first.

I use the screwdriver as mentioned above and if that doesn't work, I hit the side of the housing, not the stud. the problem with the hub studs is that if you start hitting them with the punch, they bend...or maybe I was wailing on them too hard.

bk

I use the screwdriver as mentioned above and if that doesn't work, I hit the side of the housing, not the stud. the problem with the hub studs is that if you start hitting them with the punch, they bend...or maybe I was wailing on them too hard.

bk

Use a BRASS punch (sears)

or a BRASS hammer (harbor freight)

bk

That is messed up when you bend a stud, or, smack the threads and render it useless.
Screw driver is my preferred method with the least worst outcome :)
All it takes is a little movement from the cone washer to release the deathgrip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom