Builds Here we go (FJ-40 getting a 3B/Turbo/H55f)... (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had one of those current sensors on my replacement 2H as it came from a 1986 HJ60. I removed it and put a plug in the manifold as I also don't use Superglow.

2H's commonly suffer also from cracked oil cooler jackets and finding replacement jackets is getting harder. It's probably worth your while, if I might make a suggestion, to get a hold of a spare while you can locate one.

Thanks Henry, glad to know I'm not the only one ditching the superglow.

Wayne, you mean you know where there's a new oil cooler housing, or a new superglow intake plug?

But enough chit-chat. Time for pictures.

Got the engine cleaned up. Then I pulled all the freeze plugs and did what I could to clean out the cooling passages. All of the "rust" you see is what came out. That metal was CLEAN before I started that.
paint 1.jpg
paint 2.jpg

In the end though, I think I got all the rusty sludge out, and there was definitely some pitting on the back of some of the old plugs. Pretty glad we decided to pull them right now.

Once that was done, I got to clean the block again.
paint 3.jpg

I can't rave enough about the geared rotating engine stand. SO much easier to clean the engine up--especially making sure that all the gunk drains out after I've put cleaner inside those passages again.
paint 1.jpg
paint 2.jpg
paint 3.jpg

I got the engine clean enough that it was flash rusting when I ran back to the house for some supplies. Obviously that won't do, so....
paint 4.jpg

Then once it had dried in the sun for a while...
paint 5.jpg
paint 6.jpg

Yeah, that's sexy.
That said, I'm having a problem matching some of the freeze plugs. I measured a 55mm one, two 50mm, some 27mm plugs, and some 25mm plugs. I couldn't find 55mm or 27mm plugs at all, and the 50mm and 25mm plugs are REALLY close, but just a touch too small. Are these actually SAE plugs instead?

I'll be at American Toyota tomorrow, so does anyone have the part numbers for the freeze plugs? You can see the ones I don't have--because all of the ones I do have are installed and looking good in the pictures above.

Last question: block heater in the last hole, or second to last hole? They are both easy to do right now, so I'm just debating which one is better. I'm guessing right behind the starter is better, because it'll overall put some heat into the starter itself, but just checking for other peoples' opinions.

Thanks!

Dan
paint 4.jpg
paint 5.jpg
paint 6.jpg

for some reason i thought that was a 6 banger, my bad. too many threads open at the same time.

i have access to a couple real clean used ones for the 3B. shoot me an email and i will point you in the right direction here. wayne@crushersrule.com

Not a whole lot to report here....

Wayne, I'll be sending you an email about that oil cooler cover. More cleaning shows this...
engine 2.jpg

Block heater is in the hole behind the starter, and you can see a powdercoated part or two attached to the engine.
engine 1.jpg

Good news though, the oil pump is still nice and tight! After seeing the sludge, I really wasn't sure what to expect from the oil pump, so it's good to see that it's in great shape.
engine 3.jpg
engine 1.jpg
engine 2.jpg
engine 3.jpg

A bunch of parts are going to town to get cleaned. Since I'll be waiting on an oil cooler cover, we'd just as soon send these out to get seriously cleaned. It would take Dad or I about a week to get this stuff clean enough for our tastes.
cleaning.jpg

But pulling the T-case brings up a question.

In the 5th gear section it looks like there is one tooth missing. Is this normal? I don't see evidence of it having broken, but it's clearly missing.
question 1.jpg

Also, the bearing back there has some rust on it. Obviously something was sitting for a while to do that. I'll replace that bearing either way, but if this one is rusty, should we assume the others are too? We weren't going to touch the transmission, as it looks to have been recently worked on by someone who took the care to repaint it, but the rust on the bearing has me a little worried that the input bearing might also have some rust/pitting and a consequent short life.
question 2.jpg

That's it for now. I started another thread (Frankenturbo) about the turbo, but that's small potatoes for now, really.

Dan
cleaning.jpg
question 1.jpg
question 2.jpg

no tooth missing
good time to heat and bend that shifting fork for full engagement, this helps prevent the notorious 5th gear pop-out later in life.

looking good.

no tooth missing
good time to heat and bend that shifting fork for full engagement, this helps prevent the notorious 5th gear pop-out later in life.

looking good.

Good to know. It looked like it was supposed to be that way, but I figured I'd better ask anyhow....

You've got a PM Wayne.

Central Motive Power (the local Denso diesel shop, and the Garrett shop) called this morning and said the injectors weren't holding pressure, and had a bad spray pattern. So those are getting rebuilt now (that's not a surprise--I was surprised they even called to tell me--I dropped them off and told them to rebuild them no matter how they looked).

Dan

You are doing an amazing job so far. Can't wait to see this one finished and you start working on the 45.:clap::clap::clap:

Thanks!

I can't wait to see me start working on my mythical 45 either. ;) It's mythical in that I keep acquiring things for it, and I go sit in it and make diesel noises (I did yesterday), but keep coming up with other stuff to do instead....

That said, it's coming soon, as in--within the year. :clap:

Dan

Just talked to Dad on the phone. He's off to town to drop off the bits for cleaning, pick up the rebuilt starter/alternator, the new lines for the turbo, and....

The now blasted frame.

Chances are, he'll have that frame painted in a couple days, and might even get the axles back under it before I get back to work on the truck.

EDIT--Mom just sent me some pictures...
image-1.jpg

image.jpg

Dan
image.jpg
image-1.jpg

Last edited:
More photos from Dad...
IMG_1600.jpg

IMG_1596.jpg

Bam! The frame is in POR15. That's all the frame is getting. We've used plain POR15 on some other frames, and we're pretty happy with it as a final finish.

No pictures of the rest, but we've got a lot of really clean parts back, machined flywheel, and the elusive 21mm expansion plugs are in. Also, the injectors have been rebuilt, and the diesel shop got the turbo ready to reinstall (basically by dealing with a couple broken exhaust studs and stuff).

Looks like I've got a source (or two, or three) for a new oil cooler cover, so that's a great thing.

I won't get back to the shop until Tuesday morning, and only for a couple days, but I'm sure hoping to get the engine mostly back together, mated to the transmission, and into the rolling chassis. Then we'll be ready when the tub comes back from paint....

Dan
IMG_1596.jpg
IMG_1600.jpg

Very nicely ..

Indeed. I'm going to bed now, but I'll post pics in the morning.

But here's a tease...
tease.jpg

See if you can guess what's coming..... I'll give you a hint: it's dead sexy, in a manly sort of way.

Dan
tease.jpg

this kind of ubber sexy?:lol:

(it was posted as a joke, if out of place i will remove the posting)
165025_114903161913476_100001813788736_99003_6192763_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom