Help with pricing my 40 please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To get an idea of value/ asking price, watch the Mecum and the Barret-Jackson auctions. Quite honestly, I haven seen FJ40 getting as much lately at those auctions as they did 5-6 years ago. I was told it’s due to all the ones coming into the US recently from Central and South America.

Nice truck, it has all the right stuff.

BTW, what size are those BFG/MT?

I'm guessing you're thinking mid-20K range.

I was talking about APeterson’s truck. The BAT 40 looks like they are trying to go for the icon look.

Actually you said "an ls conversion softtop with nothing special just did 66k on BAT." I was just making a joke because it had those super spendy mirrors on it which are kinda special. Sorry sometimes things sound funnier in my head than in the thread.

So to bring post back on topic. 15-20k seems too low for what you have. And you'll regret it.

Actually you said "an ls conversion softtop with nothing special just did 66k on BAT." I was just making a joke because it had those super spendy mirrors on it which are kinda special. Sorry sometimes things sound funnier in my head than in the thread.

So to bring post back on topic. 15-20k seems too low for what you have. And you'll regret it.

I must have had a couple of beers when I wrote that. edited to avoid any confusion. I like Apetersons rig better than the BAT truck.

I am a purist but that rig appears to be very well built. Keep it.

Go with forward facing rear seats! "Litle passengers" made a great option but they went outta business. Im in the same process of figuring out rear seats for my girls (5) (2) so there seats fit nicely forward facing.

I'd think in a healthy market you're in the mid-$30's. Covid19 is going to help buyers right now though. If you NEED the coin, try an auction site, if you don't NEED the liquid cash, I'd hold onto it till this thing blows over. If nothing else and the bottom falls out, it is a solid "hard good" that has good worth to it.

If you NEED that cash for your family/house/etc, then I would sell it.

If you don't ABSOLUTELY need that cash, I would keep it. You will regret it. You may buy a different one, or build it different on and like it better, but you will probably always regret it. I know I have regretted 1 40 I sold, and the other one not so much.

As for the 40, I put a forward facing Jeep seat in the back and seatbelts so I could take the kids. I traded the 40 for an 80 once we had our 3rd kid, as 3 was just too much for a 40.

Last year I posted a similar thread about my selling our FJ40 and got a lot of replies most suggesting to keep the vehicle. Afterwards I told my wife my thoughts and she pretty much said I was out of my mind considering selling it. We still have it. Ed

Last year I posted a similar thread about my selling our FJ40 and got a lot of replies most suggesting to keep the vehicle. Afterwards I told my wife my thoughts and she pretty much said I was out of my mind considering selling it. We still have it. Ed

Honestly my wife said the same thing... which blows my mind :)

Personal examples:
1. I sold my stock Red 76 - my boys said "dad, why did you sell it" - couldn't get it to pass emissions here in CA without $$$
My wife 2 years later - "you should buy another 40" -
2. So then I bought my Green 75 - 350 SBC - sold that to start a small business - my boys say "dad you should have kept it" wife says - "I forgot how cool it was to drive and it gets so much attention"

Then last July, we were driving home from a camping trip in the Zion Narrows and a 40 passed us going North on the 15 - wife says - "why don't you get another 40?"

3. New search begins and last November, I bought my Olive stock 78 (passed emissions twice before purchase) -
my boys say - "dad you should have kept the green one, this is ugly"

I've figured out a few things here, A: my wife is super awesome, B: Once you own a 40, it becomes part of your DNA, and you'll always look for one C: I can't leave my 40 to my boys or it will be painted something "cool"

@apeterson - you have a NICE 40, it looks very well done - that's tough to come by or replace

30K is nothing nowadays...Like everyone said including I will say keep it. I today still regret selling some past 40s.....and that's why I still have one today. There is something about a 40 in your garage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom