Help w/ tire choice, please! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am trying to decide between 265/75's and 285/75's on stock wheels.

Not going to be rock crawling, it'll be an expedition/camping/hunting truck. Truck has brand new factory LC springs, brand new Bilstein's, no running boards and no factory US tow hitch. Spare tire lift done at factory US spare location.

The 80 is listed on various sites as having around 10 inches of ground clearance with factory 275/70's. That's a lot. So I was considering staying with a similar size and running a nice AT or MT in 265/75.

But I see a lot of guys running 285/75's. Do you see a noticeable change in acceleration, braking, etc with the 285's? Wondering if they are worth it for the extra clearance, or if the already-thirsty tractor-engine'd 80 would be better off with a factory tire size.

Appreciate any thoughts, thanks!

Considering the price difference, I think it's worthwhile to go with the 285's. I didn't see a noticeable change in acceleration, etc. Just stay away from E rated tires unless you're carrying a lot of weight around. Those seem to have led to an unnecessarily rough ride for me.

Good luck

I wouldn't worry too much about increasing the vehicles thirst, your driving habits will have a far greater impact than a small boost in tire size. My current MPG is showing on the UltraGuage as 14.54 (mix of city & highway driving) with a stock LX450 riding on 285/75 Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO 2.

I've had both and there isn't a noticeable difference in acceleration.

Thanks guys. 265/75/16 is an extremely common tire size, and I have used them on three trucks now - I have not ran a 285/75 before, so learning about those. I will look at tire weights to try to choose a lighter tire. I love those Bridgestone Revo 2's, so I may get a set of them.

IMHO 285/265 are probably both about the same availability at local tire shops etc. When would one need to go buy extra spare tires while on a normal camping or hunting trip? I think equipped with the typical full size spare you'd be equipped for 99% of hunting/ camping/ expedition trips. Maybe get a plug kit or some patches and tools to break the bead/ compressor etc. if you're really worried about multiple tire repairs.

Having said that, 285's fit great even on my rig with beat-ass stock springs. They can't be much heavier than 265s, as long as you avoid E-rated tires, and they cushion the rims better when aired down to trail pressure. As mentioned earlier, they're only a couple bucks more per tire too.

Spring for the 285's and don't look back.

bigger is better :hillbilly:

How do the 33's affect gas mileage, performance, etc? Noticeable difference?

285s! and then you can wish for 315s!

How do the 33's affect gas mileage, performance, etc? Noticeable difference?

With a bigger tire, the engine will work harder to get moving but less to keep moving. It's pretty much a push.

I have a 92 w 3fe and use mine for the same purpose you do.

I run 285 Revo 2's and theyre great. Had 265's before and the size difference is noticeable while theres hardly any difference in fuel consumption or acceleration.

You'll regret 265's

Save yourself some money and just go with 37"+ tires the first time like I did. You'll regret getting anything less.

Save yourself some money and just go with 37"+ tires the first time like I did. You'll regret getting anything less.

+ 1. Anyone with an 80 who says "Nah, I don't want 37s" is an alien imposter :)

General Grabber Red Letters from Discount Tire.

But then again I might be a bit biased, especially about the co... :)

285's

285s! and then you can wish for 315s!

315!

Because size matters and who couldn't use another couple of inches? All kiddings aside 285 is a mighty fine size, I vote for Yokohama geolander ats. They are light, good tread, good grip, super quiet, and wear very well.

Although 315 aired down is pretty ridiculous off road. If you do much loose stuff like sand and loose gravel then might want to consider light 315s. But you will need lift, bearing preload, steering damper..........but nothing you wouldn't or shouldn't do anyways.

Either way it is a slippery slope, just look at my build thread, same path as you but a bit further down the road. :)
...Misspelled via IH8MUD app

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom