Help w/ tire choice, please! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I put 275/65's on. I like the skinnier tire look.

My advice is to do what you want to do. However plan for the future. If big tires & lift kit are in your future you may as well hold off on buying tires and get what you want. Unless of course the future is 60,000 miles away. :)

Edit: Bah, mis-typed my tire size...

Last edited:
We inherited those as 285s when we purchased the '97. Nice road manners, quiet.
It just appears there isn't a lot of sidewall flex when aired down to 20 psi for dirt road driving.

Then air down to 15 psi. I do so with my 285 Geo At's and it made a big difference to me.

Go with 285's. I too was skeptical, but I get so many panties thrown at me now:grinpimp:

You might also want to look into the Toyo OC AT 2, rugged tire but smooth ride, and it is available in the 285 75 16 size you were considering.

We inherited those as 285s when we purchased the '97. Nice road manners, quiet.
It just appears there isn't a lot of sidewall flex when aired down to 20 psi for dirt road driving.

Thanks to the stiff sidewall these tires have nice road manors and off-road protection or durability. Just air down more to the foot print and sidewall flex you are looking for.

...Misspelled via IH8MUD app

I read somewhere on this thread to stay away from e rated tires.. I've run nothing but e rated for over 20 years.. Why? Gear, gear and more camping gear, heavy bumpers, winch etc etc.. I sold the 315s and now have the 285/75s mounted on stock rims beneath the OME heavy suspension.. My 450 is very pleased with this set up.. Believe me, you start loading up your cruzer and you'll regret the d rated..

...via IH8MUD app

Thanks guys. I will probably go with E-rated 285's... might do the Bridgestone Revo 2's, as I had these before on a 4Runner and loved them.

Can anyone comment on how the 285's affect your gas mileage, acceleration, braking etc? Is it a noticeable decrease in performance?

I appreciate all the comments!

Thanks guys. I will probably go with E-rated 285's... might do the Bridgestone Revo 2's, as I had these before on a 4Runner and loved them.

Can anyone comment on how the 285's affect your gas mileage, acceleration, braking etc? Is it a noticeable decrease in performance?

I appreciate all the comments!

Unless you are really loaded all the time I would not go with E rated tires.
Gas mileage was not affected, still sucks
Acceleration was not affected, still slow
Braking was not affected, still dodgy
Performance? My truck is still pulling the same g's on the slolam course:steer:

I run the Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 and love them for all around driving. I live in the Northeast and they kicked butt in the snow this winter as well as the mud and sand this past fall while hunting. Like everyone says, go with a 285. Good luck.

Unless you are really loaded all the time I would not go with E rated tires.
Gas mileage was not affected, still sucks
Acceleration was not affected, still slow
Braking was not affected, still dodgy
Performance? My truck is still pulling the same g's on the slolam course:steer:
I'm really curios about this.. Why not run Es. These rigs weigh 6,000 lbs +/- , and I've run nothing but Es for over 25 years on 3 different vehicles F150, TJ Rubicon, LX 450, with great success, meaning at least 50k miles each time, @ 34 to 36 lbs.. The thing I like most is they wear like iron and the sidewalls don't roll out while cornering.. On the trail I run between 15 and 20 lbs... Just curious , what experience brings you to your negative opinion of Es?

...via IH8MUD app

. . . I vote for Yokohama geolander ats. They are light, good tread, good grip, super quiet, and wear very well . . .

the LX came with them - I do not like them - sidewalls flex very little and they do not clean out well when wet - they do not do well with heavy rains, either, aquaplane easily

and, my next tires will be 315, in a more aggressive tread

the LX came with them - I do not like them - sidewalls flex very little and they do not clean out well when wet - they do not do well with heavy rains, either, aquaplane easily

and, my next tires will be 315, in a more aggressive tread

Interesting I usually regard less sidewall flex as positive, that indicates a strong and tough sidewall that has great road manors. That strong sidewall also means you can safely airs down to lower psi than weaker sidewalls.

I personally only drove though mud a few times and there wasn't any issues with them cleaning out but again limited experience. I really didn't find the need for anymore aggressive tread unless I do a lot of real mudding......which I would rather pass because I like my quiet ride and too lazy to power wash everything every time, it is a huge PIA even with my own power washer.

right now im running 285 75 16 tread wright guarddogs very happy with my tires. you don't need 315s till you find the limit of the 33s again very happy with the treadwrights

you don't need 315s till you find the limit of the 33s

Well it depends because I don't want to find the limit at the most inconvenient time dictated by Murphy's law. I rather error on the safer side especially I don't drive it everyday.

Plus the parking stones screams 315s! LOL

Go with 285's. I too was skeptical, but I get so many panties thrown at me now:grinpimp:

with the new black wheels you just installed, you better expect an onslaught! :rolleyes:

Interesting I usually regard less sidewall flex as positive, that indicates a strong and tough sidewall that has great road manors. That strong sidewall also means you can safely airs down to lower psi than weaker sidewall.

The purpose of airing down is to increase your footprint. A stiffer tire requires a lower pressure but it's not necessarily a good thing. Softer tires have more give which helps them grab rocks, the added flexibility also helps resist punctures.

The purpose of airing down is to increase your footprint. A stiffer tire requires a lower pressure but it's not necessarily a good thing. Softer tires have more give which helps them grab rocks, the added flexibility also helps resist punctures.
A thin, soft sidewall is NOT good in rocks. I'll take a rigid sidewall that had to be aired down a bit more than a soft/thin sidewall every time.

A thin, soft sidewall is NOT good in rocks. I'll take a rigid sidewall that had to be aired down a bit more than a soft/thin sidewall every time.

A thin sidewall is not a good thing, but a soft one can be. I run Nittos, which are about the same as your Toyos. The sidewalls have enough flexibility that they stretch and resist punctures from sharp rocks.

The other school of thought says that a thick, stiff tire can take more damage before losing air.

In 9 years of wheeling, I've cut two sidewalls, both were on tires w/ >50k miles. In both cases, the cuts were small enough to be plugged and used as a spare. In that time I've seen plenty thick, stiff tires get slashed open beyond repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom