Cruiser in crawl mode please help (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When you get the smoke tester, I suggest introduce smoke into the intake by going through the large intake tube. The kit should come with a large disc thing that will allow you to perform the test in this manner. Let the smoke find its way through the TB (leave the throttle plate open somehow), and eventually through all the vac ports. Hopefully, you'll find some leaks!!!
@alia176 through the intake after the air filter and before the manifold …? I haven’t done it yet but was also reading about and saw an easy entry off the brake booster … thoughts on that or yes they sent me a large cone looking thing that should plug a spot around the intake.

It is definitely backfiring.

When we're plugs and wires done last?

Did you check for broken wires on the harness?

My money is on a bad ground somewhere though.
Plugs, wires, dist cover and rotor were done last spring … so should be good and new, all denso oem stuff too.

I bruised my ribs as much as I could stand inspecting that wiring harness….no broken, melted, or cracked wires.

Bad ground huh…know where the main culprits might be ?

@alia176 through the intake after the air filter and before the manifold …? I haven’t done it yet but was also reading about and saw an easy entry off the brake booster … thoughts on that or yes they sent me a large cone looking thing that should plug a spot around the intake.

Yup, that cone is what I shoved into the intake tube, after disconnecting it from the air canister housing. Brake booster hose works too. You have to prevent the smoke to not go through the TB then out of the filter housing! If the throttle plate is closed, that'll hold back most of the smoke coming from the brake booster hose.

Last edited:
Pretty sure 47k is workable. The previous owner of mine obviously didn't know what the 'k' was for: he had one that was 47 ohms and said it didn't work right. I think I used 56k. The computer is looking for a value in a range, so it's not TOO critical. The range is in the FSM somewhere... troubleshooting maybe.
Resistance Rating: 4.7k ohm
EGR asstembly removed
1707056100280.png

Resistor added
1707056132118.png

Resistance Rating: 4.7k ohm
EGR asstembly removed
View attachment 3550077

Resistor added
View attachment 3550078
Maybe that's it. I remember there was a sweet spot... The later model computer checks for resistance a couple of times and is looking for a value under a certain spec at one point and over a certain spec at another point. The earlier models are less picky.

Good news/bad news update.

Got the smoke tester working, put the cone in the intake tube in front of the throttle and opened that throttle up and let it smoke away on the high setting....but found no real leaks (a little excess out of the EGR valve), but again nothing major anyway.

So checked a few things off so far with that test. On to fuel next week, and ill put the new filter and pump i got on. If nothing out of that, ill starting hitting all the ground connections ( i got a few of the easy ones today, but nothing resolved so far).

Thanks for the help all, Ill get there, but appreciate the help and guidance !

Final update, problem solved! :)

Who had fuel pump on their bingo card?
That’s what it was, I finally got those back seats out, under the carpet and pulled the whole pump mechanism. I replaced the sock filter, and little rubber piece it sits in, the pump obviously new oem, and lastly the little rubber tube and two clips from the pump to fuel line.

Didn’t update last weekend but got a new filter on then too, took some Chinese crap off, that was a full day job tho haha. Also, got to some easy vacuum hoses and swapped to some nice new ones. Of course that filter wasn’t the issue but I might cut it open tomorrow in the name of Land Cruiser science and see.

All in all, new EGR valve and check valve, new fuel filter, some new vac hoses, and new fuel pump and its pieces. Also wrapped up the main harness by the EGR pipe with cool tape stuff, and gonna wrap the pipe next with that exhaust wrap stuff. Glad I did it all, good experience and new parts that’ll go long with the truck.

Thanks all for the help, support, and ideas on this whirlwind. Happy to be back for sure !

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom