HELP W/ HEADLIGHT REPLACEMENT CHOICES, PLEASE! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mrq

Threads
Hi, everyone!

My headlamps are both cracked on my 1994 FZJ80.

I want to replace them with new ones... But there's very few used options available. And the ones that are for sale aren't that nice and are VERY pricey...

Has anyone used these Depo Euro Glass headlamps that are for sale on Ebay?

If so, could you post a picture of your rig here so I can see how they look?

I normally hate aftermarket lighting options... But these seem to look pretty close to stock.

(See attached photos for reference to which headlamps I'm talking about...)

ANY HELP/ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

Thanks, all!

Screen Shot 2023-10-18 at 12.41.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-10-18 at 12.42.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-10-18 at 12.42.19 PM.png

That's about it if you're looking for more of an OEM look. I went with the 'bug eye' headlights because I wanted to have projectors with proper cutoffs so I don't blind oncoming traffic and get a good beam pattern.

This is what I went with. I originally wanted to do HID and might still, but I'm trying LED for now.
adsffasdf.jpg

Chrome verison:
asdffb fg.jpg

I was more concerned with getting projectors and getting the best results at night instead of looks. But the ones you're showing above should still be an upgrade. You can get them a little cheaper from here as well.

That's about it for headlight options other than finding some used ones. Unless you want to spend over $1k on headlights lol. I'd rather spend it on other things myself.

Hi, everyone!

My headlamps are both cracked on my 1994 FZJ80.

I want to replace them with new ones... But there's very few used options available. And the ones that are for sale aren't that nice and are VERY pricey...

Has anyone used these Depo Euro Glass headlamps that are for sale on Ebay?

If so, could you post a picture of your rig here so I can see how they look?

I normally hate aftermarket lighting options... But these seem to look pretty close to stock.

(See attached photos for reference to which headlamps I'm talking about...)

ANY HELP/ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

Thanks, all!

View attachment 3459388
View attachment 3459389

View attachment 3459390
Many owners are/have run the Depo’s myself included. The H1 bulb used in the bright position is great although the brights on a stock 96 I picked recently are at least as bright. The dim position on the Depo’s use and H4 which is a 2 element bulb which will do dim and bright but as mine were wired I could only power the dim element. Maybe mine came with poor quality bulbs but after about a year maybe 18 months the dims got dimmer and dimmer, but higher quality bulbs can be had.

Yes, the Depo’s are an upgrade while not departing too far from a stock look. There are better headlights to be had but for much more money and will not look even close to stock.

Last edited:
One with old and one with new. If I could have found new lights from toyota you'd bet your bottom I would have went OEM but mine had pretty badly broken and cracked mounts.

20211002_183234.jpg

My, what polite responses. There’s so much information about this on MUD, it’s like asking a question about tire sizes and choices. The OEM lights were very good in the 1990’s and they suck now in the 2020’s. Anyone who doesn’t believe that isn’t old enough and/or hasn’t had significant enough deterioration of their eyesight/night vision 😂

The options are endless. All about where one is on the spectrum of philosophy, practicality, visual acuity and economics. Good luck!!

Love my Depo's. Projectors made them better. When my stock mounting broke, I didn't want to replace them with unit's that had plastic len's. If I was going to do it over, I would still choose the Depo's.

Has anyone bought a set of the standard (OEM look) Depo headlamp assemblies off Ebay from a store in Lithuania or Estonia?? I've seen them for sale on Ebay but wasn't sure of the quality or if they were for LHD vehicles?

That's about it if you're looking for more of an OEM look. I went with the 'bug eye' headlights because I wanted to have projectors with proper cutoffs so I don't blind oncoming traffic and get a good beam pattern.

This is what I went with. I originally wanted to do HID and might still, but I'm trying LED for now.
View attachment 3459572

Chrome verison:
View attachment 3459575

I was more concerned with getting projectors and getting the best results at night instead of looks. But the ones you're showing above should still be an upgrade. You can get them a little cheaper from here as well.

That's about it for headlight options other than finding some used ones. Unless you want to spend over $1k on headlights lol. I'd rather spend it on other things myself.
Hi, I am looking at the all black verision of these on Ebay. Are they plastic or glass lenses?

Depo are the only aftermarket option with glass lenses.

Cars245 is the cheapest source. They ship from Latvia. $130.82 plus shipping for the pair. I ordered a set of Depo taillights from them on 10/9 and as of today (10/22) they've left the Los Angeles distribution center.

If you want the best lighting possible, modify the Depo housings to fit Morimoto projectors. Plenty of threads about it here.

Anyone install a set of the Depo's listed above?
Quality, glass lens, ??

Incidentally, Depo also makes what are more or less reproductions of the factory housings:

They still use H4/H1 bulbs and are ECE compliant.
Been wondering if these are glass, seen them online.

Personally prefer OEM and will roll mine till they die.

Incidentally, Depo also makes what are more or less reproductions of the factory housings:

They still use H4/H1 bulbs and are ECE compliant.
hmm, i wonder if these have a better cut-off or pattern than the US housings with 9005/9006 bulbs

i changed to euro pattern headlights in my '88 BMW M3 with H1 bulbs and the beam pattern improved dramatically with a nice sharp cutoff. mine are Hella but Depo makes them as well, with good reviews.

my stockers have seemingly inoperable adjusters (and hazed over adjuster windows), but i'm happy with the stock housings and 9011 bulbs. would just lime to be able to fine tune the aim.

hmm, i wonder if these have a better cut-off or pattern than the US housings with 9005/9006 bulbs

i changed to euro pattern headlights in my '88 BMW M3 with H1 bulbs and the beam pattern improved dramatically with a nice sharp cutoff. mine are Hella but Depo makes them as well, with good reviews.

my stockers have seemingly inoperable adjusters (and hazed over adjuster windows), but i'm happy with the stock housings and 9011 bulbs. would just lime to be able to fine tune the aim.
Can confirm the 'stock' DEPO's are good replicas, way better output than 4x6 quads. I can test some original 30yo housings against the new DEPO's tonight and get some photos.

I have the depos you originally posted. Bought them off the same eBay page and all. They are GLASS. I truly am a big fan of them. Throw out a lot more light.

When I put them on, I also installed some LED bulbs off Amazon in them, and let me tell you they are BRIGHT. As far as the corner lights, I tried both clear and the yellow corner lights and at least on my truck I preferred the look with the originals.

Wish I did a comparison, pretty sure the low beams are brighter than the high beams on my originals. And since the adjuster screws actually work, I don’t get flashed as often.

68783804372__42E78CDB-4C31-4BFC-BB95-84EA885951F4.jpeg

Clear Corners
IMG_7228.jpeg

Orginal Corners
IMG_7226.jpeg

All together
IMG_7227.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom