HELP!! I can't get my crankshaft pulley nut off! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm pulling the motor to change all the seals and gaskets. I need to get the C/S pulley nut off.

I have a 46mm socket, and I've hammered on it with an impact gun. No luck.

I put a breaker bar on it and bumped the starter. It doesn't look like it's budged even a little.

Im new to the 2F motor, but I've never had this much trouble getting one of these off...so I'm inclined to believe I'm doing something wrong, and don't want to break anything. I already have enough to work on with this 40.

Any pro tips or hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

How big is your impact gun?

It's not very big, but it works for most things. When it didn't work, I figured the starter/breaker bar would.

This is probably the first time this nut has come off since it was installed at the factory in '78, so I figured it would be difficult...just not this difficult.

No. And it's still connected to the transmission.

I've always had better luck on other motors pulling the C/S pulley first, rather than trying to bind the flywheel and remove it on an engine stand.

Silly question, but have you bent back the tabs on the retaining washer? Even if you didn't, I don't see how the starter frame rail breaker bar wouldn't still break it free.

No such thing as a silly question...especially since I didn't realize there was a retaining washer. Where is it located?

20170727_135436.jpg

Here's what I had to do...mind you I did it this way since the head was off with a few piston removed. Long story....

Anyway, I wrapped a ratchet strap around the pulley several times, then around driver frame, then around passenger frame, and then hooked up the business end to a 18" breaker bar. I locked down a pair of vise grips at the end to keep it from sliding off. Start ratcheting slowly. I had a really good bend going before it finally broke free, but once it did, it spun off by hand.

You don't seem to have the lock washer, which could be contributing to your problems if it's rusted together. I also forgot to mention that I bathed it in PB Blaster every night for about a week.

No such thing as a silly question...especially since I didn't realize there was a retaining washer. Where is it located?

View attachment 1505191

I don't see it there. I know what @John Smith is talking about. It has little "winged tabs" that are bent up along the hexed sides of the nut. It resides between the nut and the pulley

I'll give all this a shot and see where it gets me!

I appreciate the help so far.

Got it! The heat did the trick!

Now, when I wind up putting all this back together, something tells me I won't find one of those washers to replace the one that's missing.

Is Locktite a preferred alternate method?

I really appreciate all the help and quick responses. Thanks, everyone.

It took a 3/4" impact to get mine off

I used my Milwaukee 1/2, 18v impact. With an a 1/2 to 3/4 adaptor to fit the 3/4 46mm socket.

I've been really impressed with that brand of power tool, and buy them whenever I can afford it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom