Builds Helga: 1966 FJ40 FST (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gas pedal linkage
Past due updates from before the big Roundup trip:

Decided I should try to take some of the slop out of my gas pedal. Pulled the pedal rod because it seemed to be where a lot of slop was coming from. Sure enough, it was really worn where it was pivoting on the bracket. Didn’t get any pictures but all I did was weld a few little tacks in the worn spot and ground them back down to flush. After that I threw some paint on it and called it good.

IMG_5195.jpeg
IMG_5196.jpeg

Spare tire carrier
Next, I addressed the lack of clearance caused by the new 33s on the spare tire carrier. I decided I didn’t want to spend too much time/effort/money on the problem so I fab’d (badly) up a bracket that shifted the mount part up on the rest of the tire carrier assembly. Made it to reuse all of the existing holes just shifted up one row, if that makes sense. Works like a charm. I think it’s plenty strong for anything I’ll be doing and now I can access the latch with ease
IMG_5257.jpeg
IMG_5258.jpeg
IMG_5260.jpeg
IMG_5259.jpeg

Knuckle refresh
Third, I finally got around to going through and greasing the driver’s side knuckle. I’m so glad I did before roundup because it turns out I was rolling around this whole time completely unaware that the thrust washer for the wheel bearings was missing on that side! I’m not sure, but I think this is one PO **** up that could’ve gotten me hurt or killed had things gone pear-shaped. Thanks asshat.

As soon as I noticed the missing piece I flipped on the bat signal and the MUD/LC magic started doing its thing and everyone was digging through their stash to find an early axle thrust washer. Before I knew it @aljollano came through with the goods and the day was saved! Roundup was still on!

IMG_5269.jpeg

On a lighter note, I coaxed my son away from a screen long enough to help me with the disassembly. That was about the extent of his attention span for such things. Nevertheless, I enjoyed what little time he spent with me doing what I enjoy doing. I will make sure to keep that going when I can.

IMG_5261.jpeg

Third, I finally got around to going through and greasing the driver’s side knuckle. I’m so glad I did before roundup because it turns out I was rolling around this whole time completely unaware that the thrust washer for the wheel bearings was missing on that side! I’m not sure, but I think this is one PO **** up that could’ve gotten me hurt or killed had things gone pear-shaped. Thanks asshat.

As soon as I noticed the missing piece I flipped on the bat signal and the MUD/LC magic started doing its thing and everyone was digging through their stash to find an early axle thrust washer. Before I knew it @aljollano came through with the goods and the day was saved! Roundup was still on!

View attachment 3317388

On a lighter note, I coaxed my son away from a screen long enough to help me with the disassembly. That was about the extent of his attention span for such things. Nevertheless, I enjoyed what little time he spent with me doing what I enjoy doing. I will make sure to keep that going when I can.

View attachment 3317394
Just plowed through your thread. Inspiring.
Great meeting you at round up and let me know about that roll bar if it happens. I have his number and can message him directly if needed.

Ian

Just plowed through your thread. Inspiring.
Great meeting you at round up and let me know about that roll bar if it happens. I have his number and can message him directly if needed.

Ian
Thanks Ian! Great to meet you as well. Thanks for the kind words. It’s certainly been an adventure. I’ll let you know on the roll bar. Waiting to hear back.

Last couple of updates completed before the big trip to Roundup in March include finishing the window felts for the doors and adjusting the valves just to be sure none were out of spec. I won’t go into the valve adjustment due to the subject being covered extensively elsewhere.

I did opt to adjust them with the engine running just to teach myself how. It was a fairly easy process once you get going and get a flow. Obligatory video of it running afterward:

Last thing I checked off the list was the window felts. Not much to these really other than the nasty old material disintegrating. Just disassemble the window frame from the rest of the door, dig out the old, crappy felts with a suitable implement and install the new ones patiently. I didn’t add any adhesive due to the felts fitting snuggly and not moving easily. Obligatory picture of work in progress:
IMG_5274.jpeg

Are you running stock springs with your 40? I have the same tires i think (33x9.50 kenda) and I really want to put a smaller suspension on it. I think Mine has a 4 inch and I want to go to like a 2 inch dobinsons. Love your 40 btw!

Last edited:
Are you running stock springs with your 40? I have the same tires i think (33x9.50 kenda) and I really want to put a smaller suspension on it. I think Mine has a 40 inch and I want to go to like a 2 inch dobinsons. Love your 40 btw!
Yep, stock suspension. I’ve been considering a small shackle lift though. The rear tires are very close to the body in the front. I’m fairly certain they contact on compression when off road.

Not much to report. It’s been too hot and I’ve been too busy to get anything done on the 40. My little Tacoma has eaten up any “free time” I have to spare.

I did start to clean up the garage a little this past weekend though and decided to check out what was inside my order from Remflex. Good thing I did too. I discovered they had sent me the intake/exhaust manifold gasket but not the heat riser gaskets. Crap! I was worried it had been too long since I ordered it. But, a quick call to the helpful folks at Remflex got me all squared away and I’ve got those gaskets on the way. Maybe I’ll eventually use them…
IMG_0018.jpeg
IMG_0019.jpeg

Took a pretty good break from this project over the summer. Between the extra hot days and the added exhaustion/time from my crazy long commute for work I didn’t feel much like doing anything. That being said, I still found some moments to poke around. Apologies for not keeping this updated. 2023 was a crazy year for us.

Here are some updates in somewhat chronological order:

Scored a sweet little 8274 from my buddy @patride71 after Roundup last year. It might need some rebuilding and definitely a cable but I’ve got it together and on the truck. On that note I also scored a super clean man-a-fre (style?) winch bumper along with a factory roll bar from a fella in Prosper, TX. Thanks to Mr. @RevISK for selflessly snagging those items for me in true cruiserhead fashion.

IMG_5324.jpeg

IMG_0054.jpeg

IMG_5494.jpeg
IMG_5642.jpeg

Last edited:
T-case seal
I’ve also been attempting to tackle the persistent t-case seal leak that wasn’t fixed with a new seal in the output housing.

Second attempt was the speedi-sleeve fix. Of course I had to try it despite being told I should just splurge on the double seal housing from @orangefj45. (I’m stubborn and cheap. Two qualities not conducive to reviving a Land Cruiser). It was a pain in the ass but interesting and kind of fun to do.
IMG_0345.jpeg
IMG_0346.jpeg
IMG_0347.jpeg

Last edited:
Took a pretty good break from this project over the summer. Between the extra hot days and the added exhaustion/time from my crazy long commute for work I didn’t feel much like doing anything. That being said, I still found some moments to poke around. Apologies for not keeping this updated. 2023 was a crazy year for us.

Here are some updates in somewhat chronological order:

Scored a sweet little 8274 from my buddy @patride71 after Roundup last year. It might need some rebuilding and definitely a cable but I’ve got it together and on the truck. On that note I also scored a super clean man-a-fre (style?) winch bumper along with a factory roll bar from a fella in Prosper, TX. Thanks to Mr. @RevISK for selflessly snagging those items for me in true cruiserhead fashion.

View attachment 3529721

View attachment 3529724

View attachment 3529761View attachment 3529760
Was wondering when those parts were going on.
Looking great! Happy to help.

Ian

Was wondering when those parts were going on.
Looking great! Happy to help.

Ian
Thanks again Ian! Technically they went on a while ago. I’ve just been neglecting my obligation to post progress.

Also just remembered I should give a little detail on how I attached the roll bar. Kind of proud of my approach on that challenge but wouldn’t mind feedback. Need to take pictures and whatnot though. To be continued…

After my failed second attempt of sealing up the t-case with the speedi-sleeve I bit the bullet and hit up Georg @ Cruiser Brothers/Valley Hybrids for one of their new, fangled dual seal housings. I have to say I love the inventiveness of this thing. Such a neat idea for a solution to this problem. Please disregard the crustiness. I know it’s bad. Although, if you’ve made it this far you know the whole thing is crusty everywhere.

IMG_0389.jpeg
IMG_0391.jpeg

While I was at it I decided to try to increase my odds of success. I smeared some JB Weld in the groove and in the gouges I made screwing with that speedi-sleeve. Didn’t take a picture, but I did sand it back down to smooth after it cured. We’ll see if I actually helped or if I shot myself in the foot. Worst case scenario, I need to find a new brake drum. Stay tuned for the outcome of that little adventure.
IMG_0388.jpeg

Parking brake 3.0
Final chapter of the t-case rear output leak saga, hopefully…

Got a new set of parking brake shoes form Kurt @cruiseroutfit like I should’ve done at the beginning with the dual seal housing. Obviously the old set was trashed with years of gear oil soaking them. As @wngrog has pointed out in his builds, one needs to thin out the attachment points on the new shoes as they are a bit thicker than the original ones. I ground all four connection points and a little bit of the profile where the lever arm connects just to make sure the attachment pin didn’t contact during operation. I’m not sure that it would but it seems like it might. The stock shoes also have thinner profile in that section.

IMG_0480.jpeg

A quick coat of leftover high heat radiator paint on the ground side just for giggles and s***s and they were ready to install.
IMG_0481.jpeg

Attached the hardware and installed. I tried installing it backwards at first and had to reference the picture I took back when I did this the first time.

IMG_0482.jpeg
IMG_0483.jpeg

Done! Hopefully the third time is in fact the charm. It all went back together well enough. If I cared enough I would’ve thinned the material on the shoes where the springs attach. Hopefully I don’t regret the decision not to do that.

IMG_0484.jpeg

Just need to fine tune the adjustment on the cam adjuster and I should have a nice, completely functional parking brake (as functional as it ever was anyway).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom