Builds Helga: 1966 FJ40 FST (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On an unrelated note I’m still having issues with the FiTech surge tank. I decided to drive the 40 down the road a bit after I finished the heater and it stranded me in a parking lot (thankfully).

For some reason the electric fuel pump stops pumping/runs out of fuel when it’s hot and I’ve taken it up to 40 or 50 mph although not always. It’ll stay in that state for at least a half hour or so. I haven’t opened up the surge tank while it’s hot yet to verify it has fuel but I have verified the factory filter has fuel and the mechanical pump is pumping.

Thanks Nick!

Did quite a bit of work to swap the fuel delivery to an external in-line fuel pump. It’s just zip tied up for now until I can make a more permanent mounting setup. Works great so far, but boy is it loud! Sounds like a drone hovering right next to you.

D2C6E589-DC60-45BD-A1E2-27B322EB3612.png

I was able to knock a little more out this past weekend. My main goal currently is to have this thing ready and reliable for Lonestar Land Cruiser Roundup in mid-March. Unfortunately, I keep having fueling issues.

Fortunately, I think I have a path forward to fix them. It turns out that there is quite a bit more crap in my gas tank than I previously thought. I spent quite a bit of time Monday seeing if I could fix it myself at home but it seems it’s above my pay grade. Open to any solutions others might have though.

BA0445EE-3FAC-4C66-B984-F17ACF0E8963.jpeg

Other that I decided to spend most of my cruiser time Sunday on installing the new-to-me doors (thanks @hyhpe) and old bestop soft top and attacking spring bushings. So far I’ve only been able to knock out half of the bushings. I dread having to do them as they are such a bear to tackle by yourself with crappy tools/equipment. Any advice on attacking that job is much appreciated.

4D1F1AD2-0071-4FC6-A524-E7B989180C1C.jpeg
061F8BB6-D8E2-47E2-ACED-75E98EDB8993.jpeg
F3DE1A7F-6ADA-4966-ACDE-0A76B30FE369.jpeg
FC36E923-CE0E-47DA-A7F1-7F05D92EB922.jpeg

I was able to knock a little more out this past weekend. My main goal currently is to have this thing ready and reliable for Lonestar Land Cruiser Roundup in mid-March. Unfortunately, I keep having fueling issues.

Fortunately, I think I have a path forward to fix them. It turns out that there is quite a bit more crap in my gas tank than I previously thought. I spent quite a bit of time Monday seeing if I could fix it myself at home but it seems it’s above my pay grade. Open to any solutions others might have though.

View attachment 3223034

Other that I decided to spend most of my cruiser time Sunday on installing the new-to-me doors (thanks @hyhpe) and old bestop soft top and attacking spring bushings. So far I’ve only been able to knock out half of the bushings. I dread having to do them as they are such a bear to tackle by yourself with crappy tools/equipment. Any advice on attacking that job is much appreciated.

View attachment 3223071View attachment 3223072View attachment 3223073View attachment 3223074
Should be able to find a local radiator shop that can boil that tank out for you and clean it up.

Should be able to find a local radiator shop that can boil that tank out for you and clean it up.
I was pursuing that as recently as today until they quoted me $300+…

@KennyBob yeah I used the whole kit, no problems so far. I also did the cleaning process John @pardion described prior to the POR kit. My tank is the original 63 tank.

Thanks for all of the responses y’all! I’ll try the vinegar first and proceed from there if that doesn’t cut it.

Anyone have some tips for not getting your ass kicked replacing the spring bushings? Is it just a matter of dropping an axle and doing all of them at once?

I burned mine out. But the tub was off it.

Sorry, I should’ve specified getting the springs unbolted and then back into place after the bushings are swapped. Every one of them so far has been a giant pain in the ass to wrangle.

Sorry, I should’ve specified getting the springs unbolted and then back into place after the bushings are swapped. Every one of them so far has been a giant pain in the ass to wrangle.
One wheel at a time. Big jack stand under the frame just ahead of the pin side, small one under the axle to support, undo the ubolts and work outside the vehicle to get bushes out and in. Start at the pin end when reassembling, then the shackle and lastly the unols. Using jacks and straps to get everything in under tension will likely get you or the vehicle hurt and is just a plain dumb way of doing it advocated by people who do not know what they are doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom