Brake booster conversion for 1966 fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There is an adapter that bolts to your 3 bolt firewall, extends to clear rib & has 4 bolt flange for the dual circuit MC.
Cruiser Outfitters ( Cruiser Teq )

There is an adapter that bolts to your 3 bolt firewall, extends to clear rib & has 4 bolt flange for the dual circuit MC.
Cruiser Outfitters ( Cruiser Teq )
I can’t find that… is there any chance you can send the link?

Beware that if you push out the booster too far from the firewall (using spacers/adapters), you may have the end of the brake MC hitting your carburetor.

To avoid this on my '65 FJ45, I used a master cylinder from an '88 4Runner, bolted directly to the firewall of the FJ45. I had a disk axle on the front, and this non-boosted setup stopped the truck very effectively. So, there are ways to set up non-boosted brakes that are safe and effective. There are various Mud threads on this.

Beware that if you push out the booster too far from the firewall (using spacers/adapters), you may have the end of the brake MC hitting your carburetor.

To avoid this on my '65 FJ45, I used a master cylinder from an '88 4Runner, bolted directly to the firewall of the FJ45. I had a disk axle on the front, and this non-boosted setup stopped the truck very effectively. So, there are ways to set up non-boosted brakes that are safe and effective. There are various Mud threads on this.
This is encouraging. I have disks all around with a geo metro brake booster (proportioning valve in-line with the rear). I have a '67 so have the firewall rib issue.

I thought a booster was required for disk brakes?

IMG_4269.JPG
IMG_4270.JPG

I have 4 wheel disks and just run the FJ80 master with no booster. With 40 inch tires

Be aware that you can't run just any old MC with unboosted brakes. I studied the bore size of the MC versus the wheel cylinders and read a bunch of Mud threads (and got lucky).

What you are seeking is reasonable pedal effort and reasonable pedal travel. If you get the sizes wrong, you will get one or the other, but not both. I could lock up the 33x 9.5s with this setup and had good F/R balance. I had stock '77 FJ40 axles (front disk/rear drum).

Frankly, it looked a lot cleaner not having the booster and spacer under the hood.

I sell firewall adapters too. And have been selling them longer than any other Landcruiser vendor.

www.marksoffroad.net

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom