Heater install help... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All:
Greetings from Idaho! I am in the process of installing a heater in my FJ40 and sure could use some help.
Are there any videos out there on installing inside the engine compartment? I know I am missing some components but not sure which ones and where they go.

Thanks in advance. Craig

'78, 2F ... it's never had a heater as the PO installed an after market AC that I just removed.
20200926_140855.jpg
20200926_140855.jpg
20200926_140935.jpg

20200926_140813.jpg

The blower on my 78:

IMG_0624.JPG

Before you connect that heater control valve, close it and pour water from the top to make sure it doesn't leak, if it does you'll have hot antifreeze flowing through the heater year round.:mad:

Okay... I see that but now I am about 8 inches away from being able to connect to one of the two plugs in the photo.

Also the fan pull must connect under the dash but I don't see any 4 plug jacks under it.

20200926_195056 (1).jpg

20200926_195405 (1).jpg

Got a pic of the entire blower, including the wire harness?

Behind the black drain tube at the bottom of the blower is the harness with the plug for the harness attached to the blower:

ZackBlowerHarness.JPG

Good morning. I have two plugs just below where the blower will mount but neither of them look like they will work.
The photo is of all three, the one on the right is the blower plug and the other two are located below the blower.
20200927_100313.jpg

Look at post #5 above. What colors are the wires coming off the top of your blower? I've included a 78 electrical schematic.

Attachments

• 78 schematic.pdf
    298.6 KB · Views: 89
Good morning. I have a match in wire color with one of the two jackets that matches the blower wires.
I guess all I need to do is build a jumper since they are the same plug type.

Can you send me a few photos of what the coolant hose layout looks like? All I have is the heater valve and the two hoses from the heater core through the firewall.

This is a pic I found on here and saved.

ScreenHunter_01%20Mar.%2004%2009.50.gif

long ago pics when I was having an oil leak at the oil cooler on my '77. It does show some of the cooling hose routing though--may be helpful--
Image 1451 is of the "burp" valve(very helpful when refilling the coolant system to get all the air out).

heater rail installed.jpg

IMG_1451.JPG

Here's a pic of my 77:

Control valve3.JPG

The OEM control valve doesn't seal anymore, so I added an aftermarket valve to shut off the heater in the summer.

It appears you have the metal pipes that run from the firewall to the heater core?

Assume you have a "T" on them to plump the rear heater also? If you do not have a rear heater, make sure they are plugged or looped, or something... (I ran hose straight from one to the other, probably decreased the flow to my heater, and using the same size hose as everything else on the system felt like it was too large, but just tightened the clamp to make up for that...).

The hose pointed up connects to the valve that should be mounted an inch or two above it. The other end of the valve connects to the fitting on the back of the cylinder head.

A hose from the other metal pipe connects to a "T" fitting on a pipe in the lower radiator hose (part #1657761040, if you need it). New, there is a metal pipe running most of the length of the engine, mounted on the bolts holding the push rod cover. If your running any large cap HEI distributor, this pipe will be in it's way. I just replaced mine with hose, haven't had it running like this yet though, expect many other people have found other work arounds for the distributor clearance or just not wanting to spend money for that stock pipe.

Inside the firewall, I'm pretty sure those pipes only fit one way. But other than just fitting based on shape and length, I can't imagine why it matters which side the water goes in and comes out of the heater core.

Typically water connections flows down. So the upper heater core connection would be the inlet.

Typically water connections flows down. So the upper heater core connection would be the inlet.
In the above diagram the lower port of the heater core connects to the heater control valve and then the cylinder head.
This is the case for every other heater hose diagram I have seen as well.

Because of the length and shape of those pipes, there's pretty much only one way each one would fit for me.

I didn't pay much attention to which was connected to the top or the bottom. But made sure that each connected to the heater and made it through the grommet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom