Heater install help... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Guys: Thanks for the photos. Does one of the hoses from the heater core after attaching to the heater valve go up and over the rear of the engine to the plug with the blue tape (1st photo)? As for the other hose from the heater core does it tie into this hose with the blue tape (2nd photo) on the front of the engine?
20200930_181238.jpg
20200930_181303.jpg

Can you put a couple photos showing what those two connections look like? I hope I can go to my local auto parts store and get what I need to have a functioning heater. Thanks.

Can you put a couple photos showing what those two connections look like? I hope I can go to my local auto parts store and get what I need to have a functioning heater. Thanks.
If you want the images right now you can go to the Spector Off Road website: SOR.com.
They have an extensive online catalog with line drawings of every part and location.
For the cylinder head connection an elbow with the right size threads and hose barb is used.

Toyota part #1657761040, available brand new from the dealer and probably several vendors on mud.

It's a 3-4 inch long pipe in the middle of the lower radiator hose, between the water pump and the radiator, with a connector for 5/8 heater hose off the side.

The 1974 original equipment looks like this:
IMG_20200825_184801.jpg

New ones look a little less like something pieced together from Home Depot's plumbing fixtures...

And on the head, I've read that it's 1/2 inch BSPT hole. And I bought a plug that size for something else (thermostat housing) that looked like it was same size.
But have also been told that's wrong... So don't invest too much in what I'm passing along...
OEM on that looks a lot more like something out Home Depot, with two 90 degree turns on the fitting, ending with a hose fitting pointed straight up about 3 inches away from that hole in the head you have the blue tape over.

Upper block connection off a 75 2f.
T off lower radiator hose.
Pipe along engine block.
This is one Im working on now so some stuff like heater valve and Dizzy vent still not hooked up or installed.

20201001_093525.jpg

20201001_093453.jpg

20201001_093458.jpg

@cws57

Picture of the heater return line connection "tee" located in the lower radiator hose that feeds the water pump:
(Note: the "Tee" is rotated 180 degrees to expose the part number. the small nipple would point upwards when installedP
1601561051281.png

Pipe Radiator No.1 - Toyota (16577-61040) about $52 list at your Toyota dealer. The threads are 1/2 BSPT (British Standard Pipe Tapered). Hoses likely available at dealer or aftermarket.

1601561371217.png

Joint Water Hose Th - Toyota (87251-30200) about $16 list at your local dealer.

Note: older heater supply arrangements had fittings on the top of the head which directed the coolant to a manually operated valve. Later arrangements placed a valve with a control cable right on top of the elbow protruding through the firewall.

1601561914548.png

Valve Assembly Water - Toyota (87240-60010) about $122 list at your local dealer.

Good morning. Perfect, just what I was looking for. I have spent the 1st part of week flushing the radiator and block. Didn't want to refill with antifreeze until I had the heater connected into the cooling system.

Thanks again.

Dumb question - is the Fan Pull knob what is used to turn the blower motor on? (found my answer on MUD - yes)
Then the Warm Pull opens the valve to run hot water into the heater box? (yes)
And the Fresh Pull brings opens the flap to allow fresh air from the vent into the cab from where the blower motor is located. (yes)

Last edited:
Guys:
Finally doing the install and have a couple questions.
It looks like the hose to the pump needs to be cut back a couple of inches for proper fitting of the "tee". Is that correct?
Also you don't have to snug down the water joint all the way down. Correct?

Thanks...

Guys:
Finally doing the install and have a couple questions.
It looks like the hose to the pump needs to be cut back a couple of inches for proper fitting of the "tee". Is that correct?
Also you don't have to snug down the water joint all the way down. Correct?

Thanks...
I bought new hoses as a kit from SOR, bottom hose came as 2 pieces, I did not trim either, pushed them on really far. (different sources may have different size hoses.)

Not sure what your refering to as the water joint?

Guys:
Good evening. Finally have my heater installed, filled with coolant and no leaks.
One remaining problem with the heater blower. The electrical plug on the blower wouldn't reach the plug in the engine compartment so I had to build a jumper.
The blower works on both speeds with the engine off but when I turn on the engine I lose power to the blower.

Any ideas??
Thanks in advance, Craig

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom