Heat not working in 100 series land cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone, just got back from a 3000 mile road trip up and down the whole east coast. About halfway through up in new england I noticed my heat was blowing luke warm/room temp air and wont get hotter then that. The weird thing was for the first time ever I had heard a very audible gurgling noise from behind the dashboard, no leaks anywhere and everything else seems to be functioning perfectly. Does anyone have any tips on this? I'm lost when it comes to heat/ac work. Thanks! (for reference its a 2002 with 235k miles)

Did you check engine temp? It may be as simple as changing out the thermostat.
Hopefully not an issue with the heater core.

Did you check engine temp? It may be as simple as changing out the thermostat.
Hopefully not an issue with the heater core.
Engine temp seems fine always hangs out around middle of gauge, nothing unusual there. I had timing belt, thermostat, water pump all replaced around a year ago but this heat issue just started. thanks for the comment, might be worth investigating anyways.

Check your coolant level and make sure you don't have any leaks.

Check your coolant level and make sure you don't have any leaks.
Coolant level seems to be at the top, is it possible there could be air in the heating core?

Did you flush the system like mentioned back in the spring?

Did you flush the system like mentioned back in the spring?
Yeah, seemed to work and the heat had returned a little bit but now its way worse then before. When i flushed it no gunk or anything came out. Difference is this time its making noises that ive never heard before lol

Coolant level seems to be at the top, is it possible there could be air in the heating core?
Radiator is at the top, or the overflow bottle? If the radiator cap is bad (or there was too much air in the system) the bottle can show normal, but the radiator is quite low.

Radiator is at the top, or the overflow bottle? If the radiator cap is bad (or there was too much air in the system) the bottle can show normal, but the radiator is quite low.
Radiator at the top, nothing in overflow bottle when cold. When warm, maybe 3 or 4 inches in fluid in the overflow bottle.

Get your truck hot, turn on the heat full blast, and feel both hoses going into the firewall. They should both be pretty hot. Use an IR thermometer if you have one. If one is a lot cooler than the other, your heater core is blocked. You could try backflushing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom