New 100 Series heat not working. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Most times cabin heat blowing cool or just warm. Is due to low coolant level. Obstruction is less common.

OEM hose is best. Most times, I only replace the first 90 degree hose from engine DS to plastic Tee. Very import, to not, put side pressure on pipe coming up from engine (rear water bypass) this hose attached to. Doing so can result in a leak were pipe pressed into rear water bypass. I do not replaced any of the other,of the 6 hose, unless damaged or swollen. If replacing any others. Be warned, the pipes at fire wall (heater core pipes), are very thin walled aluminum. As such crush very easily.

I always place OEM clamps, back in there impression in the rubber hose, is same orientation. With the new hose I place clamp, in any orientation but same distance from end of hose all are.

Here the first 90 degree hose. I replace it, because plastic breaking off in it. Tends to fall into engine side, where I can not blow out.

Hoses, Water bypass to heater tees (3).JPG

Dawn dish soap and water, is recommended o-ring and hose install lube.
Hoses, Water bypass to heater tees (1).JPG

I avoid tap water, it will damage the coolant system. I use as Toyota recommends, distilled water as a flush medium with or without chemical flush or to mix with Toyota LL (red) 50/50 1998-03. I use compressed air ~15PSI, to back flushing. Flushing into a catch can, for inspection. If I find, my pictures of this type blowing out, I'll post them up. Meantime here's a video, in this thread below, where I use pump to back flush heater cores.

Most times cabin heat blowing cool or just warm. Is due to low coolant level. Obstruction is less common.
Top coolant and bleed off air from system:

Note, of must haves:
  • Good thermostat (OEM) properly installed jiggle valve at top, which functions as air bleeder.
  • A good radiator cap (OEM).
  • No obstruction in reservoir hose or its cap.
  • Reservoir hose must drop straight (must not be curled) to bottom of reservoir. End of hose, must be submerged in coolant during cool down and normal operation. Or it will suck air into coolant system.
While engine cold, fill radiator and reservoir (full mark) with coolant. Tip: With radiator cap on temporally, squeezing upper radiator hose help push coolant into air pockets. You can do this again later, after replacing rad cap during warm up.

Once system topped with coolant, while cap off. Run engine to warm up and add more coolant mixture to radiator as you see it draw down. As soon as you see coolant move/flowing, as seen while looking through top of radiator. Fill to neck and replace radiator cap. You cannot remove cap again, or hot coolant will blow out open radiator.

Run engine (short drive if you like) until at normal operating temperature. Bring RPM up to at least 3K for a few minutes. Shut down engine and park until full cool down. About 8 hours. Air, travel to high point. So, park level or even better, with front end higher than rear of vehicle. That way air pocket is at top of radiator (high point)

After complete cool down, before OAT (outside air temp) raises. Remove radiator cap and fill radiator to top and add to reservoir full line if needed.

Continue doing this each morning, until one day after no more coolant can be added to radiator.

Note coolant is very susceptible to heat expansion. As such the reservoir (expansion tank) level changes with temperature. But the radiator should also be full to the very top. Never open the radiator cap when engine hot, as coolant blows out explosively as it’s under pressure do to heat expansion of coolant. Even removing cap, in the morning after OAT begins to climb, if topped, will come out the cap area. Never remove the cap while doing this topping procedure, until full cool down and ready to top. Doing so, system will lose its vacuum created by contraction/cooling coolant.

Tip: old piece of carpet makes a nice surface to lie on.

Tip: After 8 hours or more of engine cool down. In winter level in reservoir will drop on very cool mornings. I like bring up to low line (cold line) when very cooled. In summer raise above low line, this is ok, just level it. I mark position with tape and note ambient temperatures, then keep eye on throughout the year for loss. Any loos should be investigated as to why. Remove radiator cap once and a while after cool down to check as well, it should always be full when you look in

Last edited:
Your heater core is most likely clogged. I just purchased a 2000 LX 470 less than a month ago and had the exact same issue. I flushed my heater core twice and that did the job. I'm almost positive that's what your problem is, seems very common based on my research here.
This.
Process is a bit labor intensive as you need to repeat it until the water draining is clear.
Here are some photos when I did mine:

Remove the glove box door, use a funnel and hose to redirect water flow (best to use hot water to easily loosen up compounded dirt and deposits:
IMG_2543.jpeg

I also used an all purpose cleaner and spray bottle to help wash down the dirt.

I also used a toothbrush to clean the fins of those stubborn dirt sticking, with an aerospace level type of extension- a skewer.

Before / During / After:
01168CFF-4A0D-4022-AC1A-1D7620BBCF18.jpeg

Collected dirt and water clarity indicator to let me know if I need to keep on going.
8489FA68-DDC2-4400-BBD9-85A852CBC5D6.jpeg

As you can see I also extended the drain plug using a hose (I think this is 3/8 ID hose - not sure) so the dripping liquid doesn’t hit the frame and build corrosion in that area)

IMG_0635.jpeg

Well. What does this mean? Orange sediment like film inside the heater core and probably my whole cooling system. There was a lot of sediment and murky water that came out when I flushed the heater core.
Haven't tested if it fixed the heat yet though since I dropped a spring clamp in the cavity between the firewall and the engine and can’t pick one up until tomorrow. It literally disappeared somewhere in the engine bay near the firewall. I’m hoping it won’t find its way into a pulley or something and damage anything.
Also replacing the metal heater t’s with oem t’s while i’m in here

Mine had a lot of calciumcarbonate buildup blowing just warm air. For a week, I flushed the heater core with 9% vinegar (most grocery stores sells it). I kept the heater core to soak in vinegar for a day or two, then flush in both ways. Heat has significantly improved. Not sure VA water is as heavy as west TX water.

View attachment 3552994

Well. What does this mean? Orange sediment like film inside the heater core and probably my whole cooling system. There was a lot of sediment and murky water that came out when I flushed the heater core.
Haven't tested if it fixed the heat yet though since I dropped a spring clamp in the cavity between the firewall and the engine and can’t pick one up until tomorrow. It literally disappeared somewhere in the engine bay near the firewall. I’m hoping it won’t find its way into a pulley or something and damage anything.
Also replacing the metal heater t’s with oem t’s while i’m in here
were you able to get this squared away?

were you able to get this squared away?
Still need to do a full coolant flush. After the heater core flush though I did get some heat function back. Not even close to OEM functioning heat but I can at least feel the heat now. Became less of a problem now that the weather is warming up

If this were my vehicle that I hoped to keep for some time, then I would do multiple drain/fill cycles until what's coming out is clean. Drain from the radiator and the block (easy with the right size tubing). Fill with distilled water in the beginning, and then switch to coolant when what's coming out looks clear. You might also want to use a coolant flush product at the beginning; although I have no personal experience with these, I have heard that they can help remove contaminants from coolant passages.

When you've drained everything and it's time for the final fill, I would change as many hoses as I could, and use OEM hoses/clamps. The one in the pic of the rusty heater core intake/outlet looks crushed from the use of a worm-gear clamp, and swollen as well. FWIW, these pics look like the "after" photos from a Reasons Not To Use Tap Water In Cooling Systems white paper.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom