New 100 series owner! Rear heat question (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all! Long time lurker and hopefully a future fj40 or fj55 owner. In the meantime, I picked up this beauty a few weeks ago. 2000 with 240k miles. No rust. Lived here in Boise since 2003. Took it to the local shop to get everything baselined and am getting an Ironman foam cell pro 2” lift installed in a few weeks since the current suspension is a bit tired. Already out on new tires as well. Can’t wait to take many adventures with my kids in the new rig we named Phil.

My question relates to the rear heat. I’ve read through all the threads I can find and endlessly google searched and can’t find the answer. I know the ceiling vents blow cold air and the floor vents in the center console blow hot air. If I turn up the rear heat to High and ensure it is coming out the floor vents, I don’t feel any air coming out at all. It doesn’t look like there is a specific fuse for the rear heat but there is a relay. I know the relays are a PITA to get to but is that my next step to try snd make it work? I don’t hear the blower motor under the drivers seat spool up when the rear heat is on and would like to get some heat going for the kids if possible this winter.

IMG_6379.jpeg

I just tested my rear heater and when I press the 'rear heater' switch, it takes the fan about 4 seconds to reach full operating speed (and I can hear the blower motor). I put my hands under both seats and along the middle, and hot air came out. As you said, nothing comes out of the roofline vents. I found that my miserable Weathertech floor mats blocked a lot of the heat in the middle. You really need to get the car warm, start the rear heater, and then open the rear door and feel around for heat.

Obviously, if the rear blower motor never turns on, you won't get any real heat out of the system.

I just tested my rear heater and when I press the 'rear heater' switch, it takes the fan about 4 seconds to reach full operating speed (and I can hear the blower motor). I put my hands under both seats and along the middle, and hot air came out. As you said, nothing comes out of the roofline vents. I found that my miserable Weathertech floor mats blocked a lot of the heat in the middle. You really need to get the car warm, start the rear heater, and then open the rear door and feel around for heat.

Obviously, if the rear blower motor never turns on, you won't get any real heat out of the system.
I’ll give it a try again tomorrow. We had been driving for about 20 mins so assumed it would have been noticeable by then. I also tried turning it on by the “Rear” button on the front dash and just by using the control panel above the 2nd/3rd row.

Just to make sure you’ve got the operation down - the rear switch in the center panel is the master switch for the rear - it must be on. Then the overhead panel needs to be adjusted properly to get what you want. I usually have it set to the low 70s and Auto, but for testing you probably want it on full hot and high fan.

There is a 20 amp fuse on the drivers footwell fuse block for the rear heater. There is also a cut out in the carpet for fan circulation. You can raise the seat up to get a visual for fan operation and a quick check of the fuse.

There is a 20 amp fuse on the drivers footwell fuse block for the rear heater. There is also a cut out in the carpet for fan circulation. You can raise the seat up to get a visual for fan operation and a quick check of the fuse.
Do you know what fuse # it is? I was looking at this fuse diagram and only see a relay for the rear heater, I don’t see a fuse related to it:

Ah thanks! I saw Air Conditioner and glossed over the RR HTR! Will try it shortly
Just checked the fuse and it’s in great shape. Replaced it anyways. Still not working. I turned it on high and felt the fan housing under the drivers seat and I don’t feel any vibration or air moving so it doesn’t look like the blower is spinning. I guess trying the relay would be next unless anyone has any other thoughts. Has anyone replaced the actual blower under the drivers seat before?

It’s pretty easy to unbolt the seat. Then you can check that the wire harness is connected and getting power.

Just checked the fuse and it’s in great shape. Replaced it anyways. Still not working. I turned it on high and felt the fan housing under the drivers seat and I don’t feel any vibration or air moving so it doesn’t look like the blower is spinning. I guess trying the relay would be next unless anyone has any other thoughts. Has anyone replaced the actual blower under the drivers seat before?
Try manually triggering the relay. May have a seized blower fan as well. Seats unbolt and tilt back easily though the access to the heater assembly is very limited unless the carpet is lifted up out of the way. Have to remove the door sill and access from the side.

Thanks for the tips! I’ll work on getting the seat unbolted and see if power is getting there. How would I manually trigger the relay to test it?

first check the fan and see whether it spins freely by hand. Then using a volt meter check whether the wire connector receives power when switched on. Unless you know electrical diagrams, I would not try to jump the realy. Generally toyota relays last a life time. The only relay I had to replace in my Toy collection is the starter relay in the 4R (also my fault, I tried to clean the contact points)

Thanks for the tips! I’ll work on getting the seat unbolted and see if power is getting there. How would I manually trigger the relay to test it?
Just a heads up if you remove the seats, one bolt on each seat, somehow had messed up threads in the bolt hole. It came out no problem, but wouldn't thread back it. I had to get a thread tap but it was easy enough to clean up the threads. Not saying it will happen to you, just a heads up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom