Hardtop-to-Tub weatherstrip... how do I install? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
instagram.com
Hi, I recently bought the 2-piece hardtop to tub gasket kit from CityRacer LLC. I'm sure if you've tried to install one of these, you'll realize how difficult it is. Can somebody give me any useful information?

My main issue is that the top keeps tearing the outer piece off of the rib of the tub. Every time we set the top down, it pinches the weatherstrip and pulls it out of place, leaving the weatherstrip hanging outside the tub rather than in between the tub and the top. This only occurs around the rear corners, not along the sides of the tub. I can't find a way around this.

My other struggle is lining up the inside piece with the holes in the tub for the hardtop. I can set it there, but as I drop the top onto the tub, they will become misaligned and my bolts won't be able to find their holes.

I tried emailing City Racer with my issues, because this is really darn hard to install, and it's not just cause I'm an idiot. But they said "go ask on ih8mud!", so here I am.

If anyone has any idea how to do this, I'd gladly accept advice. I don't want to glue this crap onto my tub, and city racer warned not to, but I don't see another option. This is hard. :bang:

Thanks

I am still building so can't vouch to this solution, but as I have the same weather strip I will cross this bridge eventually I'll offer a suggestion.

My other struggle is lining up the inside piece with the holes in the tub for the hardtop. I can set it there, but as I drop the top onto the tub, they will become misaligned and my bolts won't be able to find their holes.

Put a stud - like a hub stud (I think they're M6 but am not at home atm to check), or just slice the top off a handful of bolts - in the tub to keep the weatherstrip in place, and also help align the top/sides. then you can just take the studs out and replace with the appropriate bolts.

Just a thought. HTH, Trav.-

Hi, I recently bought the 2-piece hardtop to tub gasket kit from CityRacer LLC. I'm sure if you've tried to install one of these, you'll realize how difficult it is. Can somebody give me any useful information?

My main issue is that the top keeps tearing the outer piece off of the rib of the tub. Every time we set the top down, it pinches the weatherstrip and pulls it out of place, leaving the weatherstrip hanging outside the tub rather than in between the tub and the top. This only occurs around the rear corners, not along the sides of the tub. I can't find a way around this.

I tried emailing City Racer with my issues, because this is really darn hard to install, and it's not just cause I'm an idiot. But they said "go ask on ih8mud!", so here I am.

If anyone has any idea how to do this, I'd gladly accept advice. I don't want to glue this crap onto my tub, and city racer warned not to, but I don't see another option. This is hard. :bang:

Thanks

I had a similar issue, and the packing/gasket would grab the upper sides and pull/pinch. This would expose the bottom edge of the rubber in the rear corners. Last time I installed my sides & top, I tried baby powder on these gaskets. To my surprise, the upper sides slid right down without pulling or pinching the rubber.
IMG_3716.jpg

You can see the powder on the rear wheel.

get some rubber safe lube and lube up the gasket so it slides on the top better.

I use baby powder to "lube" mine when I install. Doesn't harm anything, doesn't attract dust and dirt. It also helps to install with a hoist system, so that you can lower the hard top fractions of an inch at a time once it makes contact with the weatherstripping, and you can pull out on the rear corners to help the top slide over the weatherstrip instead of pushing it out/off.

Edited: @GA Architect beat me to it.

Just found this thread. I installed my hard top last night with new hardtop to tub weatherstripping and upper side panel packing and I am trying to verify I did it correctly.

The picture below is of the excess that I trimmed off the drivers side, holding it at the cut I made. I placed the rib on the tub into the slot in the weatherstrip that I have my thumb in. Is this correct? This looked right from the pics on the City Racer website and I didn't see how the rib could go in the other slot in the weatherstrip. Everything feels snug and we had no problems getting the top on and packing lined up. The top seems to sit slightly higher now, but that may be because my PO didn't have the weatherstip and packing in when I bought the truck.

MRreFC5.jpg

when I installed mine I layed out the gasket, then started to install the panel guide bar. as I did this I put the back down first to grip the back corner so it didn't squeeze out. then before I brought it down I checked the inner and set it down. its easier with 2..

The picture below is of the excess that I trimmed off the drivers side, holding it at the cut I made. I placed the rib on the tub into the slot in the weatherstrip that I have my thumb in. Is this correct?

Yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom