Half Ambulance Door w/ Tailgate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought a 78 with half ambulance doors/tailgate and I love the setup. IMO, it's well done and seems/feels original except a little dented up. Through research, it doesnt seem like this mod was done to many fj40s. Please feel free to add any information about this setup.

I also wanted to see if I can find the previous owner that got this done. Hopefully he or she might still be around.

I bought this white 1978 fj40 from an older gentleman in CA Bay Area. He had it for almost 2 decades. He didn't mod it at all. He bought it with the current mods, drove it on the weekends, did the maintenance and repeat.

Last edited:
Its not stk. Ive seen pics of a few altered that way. Ill probably do the same in the future. A more common mod is to adapt a tailgate to later model 40s and then alter the top for a flip up door like the early model 40s. Can you take some pics with the upper doors open?
1607110254424_1607110252955_1607110249869_0_3767434510_324de6f7d7.jpg

When you take the top off a 40 with ambulance doors you usually need some sort of tailgate. They are many solutions offered, from bolt on sheetmetal or plate t/g, and stk or aftermarket t/gs to what you have. I drive my 40 top off and want a drop down tailgate, instead of a panel it has now. The bottom of my amby doors are rusted, so some day the will become 1/2 doors.

idk about desirable but if you search around it's been done. Maybe if you plan on taking the top off. Mine never does so don't really need it
Not stock as mentioned

It looks like someone did a good job on yours. Do they fit snug or rattle? How about some pics of the bottom inside edges?

Found this picture online. I've always liked this configuration and felt it would be a very useful way to access the rear. Might try this someday myself but am too chicken to chop up my decent and original ambulance doors at this time. :cheers:

fotor_1607116078666.jpg

Found this picture online. I've always liked this configuration and felt it would be a very useful way to access the rear. Might try this someday myself but am too chicken to chop up my decent and original ambulance doors at this time. :cheers:

View attachment 2515391

no need to.

tailgate.jpg

tailgate2.jpg

That is a project I have sitting in the basement right now. The doors have been cut.
what is the measurement to the bottom? I see yours have a lip to go over the tailgate.
My intention was the same. Run topless in summer with just a tailgate. I had the bolt on one for years with a soft top, but hard top on now and liked the idea of this set up.
looks like a good job.

I’ve enjoyed mine. The rubber seal on top of the tailgate keeps everything drum tight when closed. When I ordered the aftermarket seal that goes between the hard top and body, I had enough left over to fit over the tailgate too.

I bought a set of mustard amby doors that were completely rotted out at the bottom and went to work. My goal was to be able to switch between my soft top and hard top, while keeping the tailgate. I very much like a tailgate when camping.

I’m a purist, but I still dig it. Looks stock to the untrained eye when closed up.
399CAD9A-4567-4D20-92F1-D2264428D40E.png

7722BA18-E315-45DA-B216-533E5515E29D.png

I like the idea. It always bugged me about the ambulance door models, like there’s got to be a better solution than ‘you’re on your own’.

I’ve enjoyed mine. The rubber seal on top of the tailgate keeps everything drum tight when closed. When I ordered the aftermarket seal that goes between the hard top and body, I had enough left over to fit over the tailgate too.

I bought a set of mustard amby doors that were completely rotted out at the bottom and went to work. My goal was to be able to switch between my soft top and hard top, while keeping the tailgate. I very much like a tailgate when camping.

I’m a purist, but I still dig it. Looks stock to the untrained eye when closed up.
View attachment 2515560
View attachment 2515568

Do the Ambi doors have a lock contact with the tailgate? Does not look like it in the picture.

The single hinge looks flimsy. The original post has double hinges on both doors.

Is the single hinge even remotely solid when opening the doors? I would've loved that on my Cruiser years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom