H55 transfer case question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

^^^
Toyota quality, bright, excellent price. Several threads on this upgrade.

^^^
Toyota quality, bright, excellent price. Several threads on this upgrade.
looks like regular OEM headlight assembly....no? Also, ya know if the wiring harness comes with the hedlights? also, guess it comes with 1 light so need to order 2 eh? jus realized that lol

looks like regular OEM headlight assembly....no? Also, ya know if the wiring harness comes with the hedlights? also, guess it comes with 1 light so need to order 2 eh? jus realized that lol

No, it's an upgraded harness made to handle modern H4 bulbs. If you just stick H4 housings/Bulbs in your old wiring, you can melt the connectors. Also, new harness wire gets full 'oomph' (technical term) to the bulbs. I run it with some high watt bulbs (yes, I'm that a-hole that blinds ya!) Kit is complete.

It comes with standard H4 bulbs, but you can replace with LED if you like. @ToyotaMatt sells a complete setup.

Price on that harness is very reasonable, too, for a Toyota factory part. It's a great upgrade, but I've read LEDs don't generate enough heat to melt snow/ice on headlamps. I dunno about that, the only snow I'm familiar with gets sold to actors and CEOs.

No, it's an upgraded harness made to handle modern H4 bulbs. If you just stick H4 housings/Bulbs in your old wiring, you can melt the connectors. Also, new harness wire gets full 'oomph' (technical term) to the bulbs. I run it with some high watt bulbs (yes, I'm that a-hole that blinds ya!) Kit is complete.

It comes with standard H4 bulbs, but you can replace with LED if you like. @ToyotaMatt sells a complete setup.

Price on that harness is very reasonable, too, for a Toyota factory part. It's a great upgrade, but I've read LEDs don't generate enough heat to melt snow/ice on headlamps. I dunno about that, the only snow I'm familiar with gets sold to actors and CEOs.
thanks!!! and to be clear all i need is 1 or 2 of these OEM # 81110-60P70 ??

thanks!!! and to be clear all i need is 1 or 2 of these OEM # 81110-60P70 ??

One. It's a complete setup consisting of harness, w/ two 7" round Housings and H4 Bulbs. I think this is one of the best values I've ever seen from Toyota, even aside from the obvious Toyota Quality. Kudos to the person who first enlightened us (Onur? and no pun intended) about this product.

1614632826827.png

One. It's a complete setup consisting of harness, w/ two 7" round Housings and H4 Bulbs. I think this is one of the best values I've ever seen from Toyota, even aside from the obvious Toyota Quality. Kudos to the person who first enlightened us (Onur? and no pun intended) about this product.

View attachment 2600400
Does Toyota make this for the 62 also or just a 60

I only know of the one with round lamps.

It's relatively easy to replace a few parts of the front clip to get an FJ60 "round eyes" front end. I ran that for a few years on my donor '89 FJ62 that had some front end damage before starting my '86 FJ60 build.

After some digging...found the headlight assembly for $54 shipped!!

20210302_164133.jpg

That's what I meant, if I didn't state it clearly: For stop 'n go environments, the H42 is 'better' only in less shifting and easier starts. For all other conditions, the H55 is better. That's only my opinion though from driving both 4 and 5 spd FJ60 in the same location over the last 15ish years.

Years ago, when I first installed the H55, I did have this exact same conversation with Marv Spector and his solution was to just start off the line in 2nd gear, with the 5 spds. 🤷‍♂️ AI do that sometime, too.

On the Freeways and open road, there's no comparison, that 5th gear is your friend.

That's what I meant, if I didn't state it clearly: For stop 'n go environments, the H42 is 'better' only in less shifting and easier starts. For all other conditions, the H55 is better. That's only my opinion though from driving both 4 and 5 spd FJ60 in the same location over the last 15ish years.

Years ago, when I first installed the H55, I did have this exact same conversation with Marv Spector and his solution was to just start off the line in 2nd gear, with the 5 spds. 🤷‍♂️ AI do that sometime, too.

On the Freeways and open road, there's no comparison, that 5th gear is your friend.

:grinpimp:
In what ways have you noticed freeway performance improvement with 5speed vs 4speed?

In what ways have you noticed freeway performance improvement with 5speed vs 4speed?

I think that’s somewhat self explanatory.

You can comfortably drive slightly higher speeds and still run the engine at lower RPMs. So you’ll get slightly better fuel economy and reduced engine wear.
And it’s nice to be able to drive the same speed as others on the highway without over-reving your engine.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers

Does Toyota make this for the 62 also or just a 60
I'm not sure about US lights, but for Japan/Euro lamps, Toyota sell (or did in 2022) the H1 type lamps (high beam only). I don't have the part number to hand right now. You can buy Koito (OEM) H4 lamps (dipped and high) from Japan, if you have someone there who can send them to you. Try Dave Steadman perhaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom