H55 transfer case question (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@WSOPgold2012

You will need to tap and plug the bolt hole in the middle of the t'case plate. Other than that, and the little plastic oiler cup you will need to add, it's bolt up.

Tap 7/16 Drill x thread size 1/4-18 NPT plug.

View attachment 2598279
Is that what @orangefj45 meant by "5th gear oiler" ??

Screenshot_20210227-191820.png

i was under the impression my late '87 60 dsnt need the oiler cup...no?

I've read where some have forgotten it or didn't have it available and ran without, but if Toyota bothered to spec it, I think their engineers might know better... I mean, it's like 5 bux 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️

I've read where some have forgotten it or didn't have it available and ran without, but if Toyota bothered to spec it, I think their engineers might know better... I mean, it's like 5 bux 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️
lolol...i think you miss read my question as defiant...was simply a question lol...obv ill use that if it needs that,

lolol...i think you miss read my question as defiant...was simply a question lol...obv ill use that if it needs that,

No, it can be confusing with all the different threads and lots of misguided opinions. I only meant some in the previous threads have said it wasn't needed and they've run 50K miles without issue, and that may be true, but I'd just, for $5, not want to take that chance. H55 ain't cheap.

No, it can be confusing with all the different threads and lots of misguided opinions. I only meant some in the previous threads have said it wasn't needed and they've run 50K miles without issue, and that may be true, but I'd just, for $5, not want to take that chance. H55 ain't cheap.
sure aint cheap. have you done the H55 swap? worth it? lotta money...if i keep hearing "amazing" ill actually get er done lol

sure aint cheap. have you done the H55 swap? worth it? lotta money...if i keep hearing "amazing" ill actually get er done lol
Worth EVERY. DAMN. PENNY.

Far and away the single best modification Ive done to my 62 (well, had done. @torfab did the swap for me with a tranny and case from Georg @orangefj45).

Worth EVERY. DAMN. PENNY.

Far and away the single best modification Ive done to my 62 (well, had done. @torfab did the swap for me with a tranny and case from Georg @orangefj45).
did you have an automatic?? I think those were worse than my 4-speed manual...but only guessing.

I've done it twice on my own rigs and helped a couple of people do theirs.

I might be a minority opinion, but I think the H55f is a great upgrade if you wheel or do a lot of off-road driving or even paved highway. I opted not to do the H55 for an 87 I had and it was mostly an around-town truck (Los Angeles, that is, where it seems like there's a stop sign or stop light every 50ft) and the 4spd was way easier on the legs and far less shifting than the 5 spd in my '85. I was very glad I listened to a local LC guru and kept that truck 4 spd. Toyota knew what they were doing for an 'Estate Wagon' which is what the purpose was in the States, at the time.

The H55f driving consideration aside, is a very robust, heavy-duty transmission. If you need a low 1st gear, you'll love it. If your avatar is your normal environment, I'd say you need it.

I might be a minority opinion, but I think the H55f is a great upgrade if you wheel or do a lot of off-road driving or even paved highway. I opted not to do the H55 for an 87 I had and it was mostly an around-town truck (Los Angeles, that is, where it seems like there's a stop sign or stop light every 50ft) and the 4spd was way easier on the legs and far less shifting than the 5 spd in my '85.

The H55f driving consideration aside, is a very robust, heavy-duty transmission. If you need a low 1st gear, you'll love it. If your avatar is your normal environment, I'd say you need it.
ohhhhh this is a totally different perspective than ive read (and ive read evrything I cld find) My rig lives at 9700' ish in Colorado so ya, its my normal environment. What exactly does "low 1st gear" mean? Would that mean it has the ability to stay in 1st longer? Because im outta 1st gear in my 4 speed just about immediately...lotta times i just roll from 2nd. Thanks

did you have an automatic?? I think those were worse than my 4-speed manual...but only guessing.
Yeah I had the A440F; stock 62 automatic. It made it 300K miles, but started having overheating issues, even with the added cooler. Had the conversion done early last May and never looked back.

ohhhhh this is a totally different perspective than ive read (and ive read evrything I cld find) My rig lives at 9700' ish in Colorado so ya, its my normal environment. What exactly does "low 1st gear" mean? Would that mean it has the ability to stay in 1st longer? Because im outta 1st gear in my 4 speed just about immediately...lotta times i just roll from 2nd. Thanks

It means you will have more mechanical torque at the same engine RPM. So for when you're carrying a heavy load uphill or want to crawl through a rough spot. Most of the LCs sold in 3rd world have 5 spds with low 1st because of poor road conditions.

I might be a minority opinion, but I think the H55f is a great upgrade if you wheel or do a lot of off-road driving or even paved highway. I opted not to do the H55 for an 87 I had and it was mostly an around-town truck (Los Angeles, that is, where it seems like there's a stop sign or stop light every 50ft) and the 4spd was way easier on the legs and far less shifting than the 5 spd in my '85. I was very glad I listened to a local LC guru and kept that truck 4 spd. Toyota knew what they were doing for an 'Estate Wagon' which is what the purpose was in the States, at the time.

I agree with some of what you're saying ........ On flat ground in constant stop-and-go traffic ( like the insanity of L.A. you call home ), the taller first gear of the H42 could be an advantage. But for 99.99% of 60-series owners that's not their reality and typical vehicle usage. And I'm sure when you're on the freeway cruising along, you sometimes wish you had that 5-speed knob at the end of your shifter.

H55F and upgraded headlights are hands down THE BEST mod for any 6x-series cruiser.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

I agree with some of what you're saying ........ On flat ground in constant stop-and-go traffic ( like the insanity of L.A. you call home ), the taller first gear of the H42 could be an advantage. But for 99.99% of 60-series owners that's not their reality and typical vehicle usage. And I'm sure when you're on the freeway cruising along, you sometimes wish you had that 5-speed knob at the end of your shifter.

H55F and upgraded headlights are hands down THE BEST mod for any 6x-series cruiser.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

That's what I meant, if I didn't state it clearly: For stop 'n go environments, the H42 is 'better' only in less shifting and easier starts. For all other conditions, the H55 is better. That's only my opinion though from driving both 4 and 5 spd FJ60 in the same location over the last 15ish years.

Years ago, when I first installed the H55, I did have this exact same conversation with Marv Spector and his solution was to just start off the line in 2nd gear, with the 5 spds. 🤷‍♂️ AI do that sometime, too.

On the Freeways and open road, there's no comparison, that 5th gear is your friend.

:grinpimp:

Georg @ Valley Hybrids
"upgraded headlights" .... do you sell a kit for this too?

Transfer case changed in 10/82, earlier did not have the 5th gear oiler provision.

readily available from Toyota and Cruiser shops like us.

OEM # 81110-60P70

Georg

Valley Hybrids
also, what makes this upgrade so good? ty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom