GX460 "Bad " Years (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Im going to toss this into the mix.

I have bought Toyotas all my life: from Corollas to Vibes to Camrys, to an early truck. When I retired we bought a GX470 with 170k miles on it and I was expecting it to run forever. We do light overlanding (dirt roads mainly) and it ran fantastic.

However, I did replace a rear seal, 3 wheel bearings, three CV joints, an alternator, 2 brake calipers and replaced the steering oil (started making noise on a trip one time. The rack seemed fine.). I chose a GX because they are rock solid and "overbuilt to go 300k". I was under it twice out west fixing it at a hotel.

Now I get it. They are reliable. It never left me stranded. They are very easy to fix (7 bolts and the wheel bearing is out. took me 1/2 hour). But I was under the impression that these things were overbuilt and should last 300k before having problems. That is not the case.

So, I think maybe we should tone it down a bit. These are great vehicles, but we need to make sure we explain that they are not trouble/maintenance free. I WAS under that opinion because of what was written on this site and others.

And by the way, is there any documented evidence that these are designed for higher milage than their other cars? I hear that, but has Toyota said it?

(I just want to make it clear, we loved the 470 and now we have a 460. Very reliable but I am not expecting perfection.)
So I have never seen any documentation of where Toyota/Lexus has proclaimed anything about durability of higher mileage. That seems like a claim that could bite them in the ass.

With that said, a truck that takes 9qts of oil is significantly overbuilt compared to even an LS motor most of which are 5-6qts.

I do agree with you, at a part failure rate, I don't find these mid size rigs to be exceptional. And like you, I've never been left stranded by anything other than battery failures.

Better put on your flame suit, some here think the 150/460 is gods gift. Its a normal, but well built vehicle...

I have no misgivings about it being a "gift from god" and bullet proof, but I do use it as a standard for most all other manufacturers.
After having gone wheeling with our 4x4 club for some years now, and how often one of their Jeeps will have issues on a trail, and note I'm not talking hard core rock crawling, but mild trails that I do, it sure makes our rigs look like a give from the automotive god.
The thing that puts me off about Jeeps are little things like have a metal casting welded to the frame for one of the front suspension links which broke. Something like that, Toyota/Lexus would have used a forged attachment. Other things like chronic engine problems that guys with just a couple year old Jeeps complain about.
Even the new Broncos with their from suspension.
But I should probably hold my tongue before I go too far and then wait and see how these new LC's and GX500's fair in their first year.

I see the 25 year discussion framed around the 80, 100, 200, etc. Many point to this blog article that is no longer online but can get cached copy here

When I picked up my 460 seven years ago there wasn't really any service data out there or discussion of any mods. Just dealer trips, car washes, and a little about oil changes. I was on a mission to learn the most about them so I could help myself and others maintain them for as long as possible.

I wanted to see the trends of problem areas and what really never breaks

I see the 25 year discussion framed around the 80, 100, 200, etc. Many point to this blog article that is no longer online but can get cached copy here

When I picked up my 460 seven years ago there wasn't really any service data out there or discussion of any mods. Just dealer trips, car washes, and a little about oil changes. I was on a mission to learn the most about them so I could help myself and others maintain them for as long as possible.

I wanted to see the trends of problem areas and what really never breaks

Scooting all the way down the article to the reliability score, it made my heart leap with joy!

Last edited:
I have no misgivings about it being a "gift from god" and bullet proof, but I do use it as a standard for most all other manufacturers.
After having gone wheeling with our 4x4 club for some years now, and how often one of their Jeeps will have issues on a trail, and note I'm not talking hard core rock crawling, but mild trails that I do, it sure makes our rigs look like a give from the automotive god.
The thing that puts me off about Jeeps are little things like have a metal casting welded to the frame for one of the front suspension links which broke. Something like that, Toyota/Lexus would have used a forged attachment. Other things like chronic engine problems that guys with just a couple year old Jeeps complain about.
But I should probably hold my tongue before I go too far and then wait and see how these new LC's and GX500's fair in their first year.
That wasn't targeted at you at all. I think there were some others that had takes that weren't very nuanced. I agree they are great trucks and are the standard, they are most definitely still a vehicle. When we started I had a number of people ask me if we planned on being out of business due to electric vehicles in 10 years. Little do they know that powertrain in this day an age is less likely to fail, and its everything else.

Reactions: r2m
I am somewhat convinced that if proper PM is taken, and the vehicle doesn't have fatal design flaws, (cam phasers in fords for instance) that any vehicle can be as reliable as a Toyota, and a Toyota on the same note can be a basket case full of issues if is not PM'd correctly.
I saw a private study once where large a very company was debating what fleet vehicles to purchase going forward. (think defense contractors) The were looking at hundreds of vehicles per year. this was back in 06, 07 or so… They took ten new fords and ten new Toyotas, disassemble all ten engines/transmissions, mixed the parts up, re-assembled them with random parts, then ran them 24-7 in a test facility for a few weeks.

4 of ten Fords had major issues in the first week.

All ten Toyotas were still in service a year later.

They weren’t all built the same back then, and I doubt they are now.

So, I think maybe we should tone it down a bit.

No.

but we need to make sure we explain that they are not trouble/maintenance free

Respectfully no common sense thinking logical adult thinks this. This goes without saying, everything needs proper maintenance. And even those of us who have / had unicorns (I've been lucky with getting two) still have routine maintenance and wearables addressed. Anyone that thinks these don't need maintenance and or are 100% trouble free need to toss their drivers license and ride the bus.

I've owned 30 vehicles all varying brands and mileage and nothing, again NOTHING, comes close to my GX460 (or my previous GX470). It isn't even close. I have zero doubt my 460 will go 500k+ easy barring and rust or a write off from an animal strike.

I feel I am a "common sense thinking logical adult" and I certainly didn't think I would be doing the repairs I have had to do. In all my other Toyotas I never fixed any CVJ, bearings, replaced any calipers or alternators. I push my cars to > 200k. So I have had to fix all those things on my GX.

Overall I would agree that Toyotas are bulletproof and well designed, but "The Road Chose Me", Dan Grek always uses a Jeep. He said all the Land Crusisers in Austrailia carry extra alternators because they are so low in the engine bay. When they get wet, they go bad. Jeep Wranglers have them on top of the engine.

Also, there are several videos of guys who buy LandCruisers/GX and have a yearly cost breakdown. They are interesting videos.

My whole point is that I had higher expectations for reliability that never materialized. Part of that was from the web and glowing reliability reviews and part was my own ignorance. Notice I picked Lexus over Jeep and Chevy and Ford. I'm in the Lexus camp. In my experience they are well built with lots of web support, don't seem to rust (check the frame!) and are comfortable and can go absolutely anywhere. And the engines are magnificent.

What I tell people that ask: Lexus engines seem to run forever, but the rest of the vehicle takes a beating and needs a careful eye.

Last edited:
Reactions: r2m
Im going to toss this into the mix.

I have bought Toyotas all my life: from Corollas to Vibes to Camrys, to an early truck. When I retired we bought a GX470 with 170k miles on it and I was expecting it to run forever. We do light overlanding (dirt roads mainly) and it ran fantastic.

However, I did replace a rear seal, 3 wheel bearings, three CV joints, an alternator, 2 brake calipers and replaced the steering oil (started making noise on a trip one time. The rack seemed fine.). I chose a GX because they are rock solid and "overbuilt to go 300k". I was under it twice out west fixing it at a hotel.
There's a lot of variables and unknowns when buying a vehicle with 170k on clock. Toyota or not. I had to replace two wheel bearings, the steering rack, all four calipers (seized) on my old 470. I lived in PA at the time, so winters and salt wrecked havoc. Age and miles will take its toll on any vehicle. Three CVJs sounds strange.

I'm also multiple sets of CVs, all 4 brake calipers, steering rack, starter, front wheel bearings, brake hoses, several sensors, etc in. I have a cost breakdown in my build thread (see here) of what's it's cost me to repair and maintain my GX. Bottom line - it ain't cheap (I'm at $5K right now over 3 years and am about to dump at least $2K more in for dash replacement, HVAC servos, new leather, refreshed seat belts, and a few other interior items). Now that this stuff is done and it should be good for another 175K.

Apples to apples compared to any other 2007 vehicle with 175K on it, it isn't bad however. The engine, trans, TC, and most other drivetrain components (sans the CV boots and rear axle) are bombproof on these. They die due to abuse, not design or quality issues - as evidenced by multiple ones on here eclipsing 300K and making it all the way to 500K. I also only paid $10,700 for my GX470, if mods are out of the equation I'll be at $17,700 all-in on vehicle/maintenance/repairs, which probalby isn't that bad for a totally solid and sorted vehicle. But, I could have got into a 10-13 GX460 at that price point when I bought my 470, and probably skipped a lot of those other costs.

If you don't want to mess with it, it's best to buy a lower-mileage/newer GX460 that isn't going to have the same age/mileage issues as some of the older ones. Even the GX460 will eventually get worn out and need a replacement of most/all of the things I've had to do on my 470. With a newer vehicle that point is just farther out in the future future.

Last edited:
I'm also multiple sets of CVs, all 4 brake calipers, steering rack, starter, front wheel bearings, brake hoses, several sensors, etc in. I have a cost breakdown in my build thread (see here) of what's it's cost me to repair and maintain my GX. Bottom line - it ain't cheap (I'm at $5K right now over 3 years and am about to dump at least $2K more in for dash replacement, HVAC servos, new leather, refreshed seat belts, and a few other interior items). Now that this stuff is done and it should be good for another 175K.

Apples to apples compared to any other 2007 vehicle with 175K on it, it isn't bad however. The engine, trans, TC, and most other drivetrain components (sans the CV boots and rear axle) are bombproof on these. They die due to abuse, not design or quality issues - as evidenced by multiple ones on here eclipsing 300K and making it all the way to 500K. I also only paid $10,700 for my GX470, if mods are out of the equation I'll be at $17,700 all-in on vehicle/maintenance/repairs, which probalby isn't that bad for a totally solid and sorted vehicle. But, I could have got into a 10-13 GX460 at that price point when I bought my 470, and probably skipped a lot of those other costs.

If you don't want to mess with it, it's best to buy a lower-mileage/newer GX460 that isn't going to have the same age/mileage issues as some of the older ones. Even the GX460 will eventually get worn out and need a replacement of most/all of the things I've had to do on my 470. With a newer vehicle that point is just farther out in the future future.
The 460s are ugly as hell. You made the right choice.

You do see far more reported drivetrain and other failures reported on GXOR for the 120/150 series than reported here. The forums here or CL are a minuscule number compared to that owner base which now numbers over 36k so can't rule out concerns if you don't see them reported here. Some only do Facebook, only forums, Reddit, etc... and seemingly most only leverage one source.

I'm also multiple sets of CVs
What do you think caused the CVs to fail? Just curious. CVs are about the only thing that didn't fail on my 470 haha. I never lifted mine though. CVs on my lifted Taco were going strong after 30k on the lift.

What do you think caused the CVs to fail? Just curious. CVs are about the only thing that didn't fail on my 470 haha. I never lifted mine though. CVs on my lifted Taco were going strong after 30k on the lift.
Age on the OEM boots, then being lifted on cheapo Cardone reman boots without a diff drop. They were the "thermoplastic HD" boots but still ripped. On cheapo boots and a lift, I'd count on ripping boots at least yearly. The better All-Pro boots have been great and allowed me to avoid the diff drop which comes with it's own issues.

I didn't try re-booting with OEM boots and just went straight to the All-Pros. I have a spare set in my parts stash for when they eventually rip. It's honestly a very easy job to pull the CVs and reboot them on these rigs, maybe 1 hour per side of work.

CV boots will fail a lot sooner on any lifted vehicle. This should be considered routine maintenance if lifted. Even with a diff drop, you are well outside of factory axle alignment specs unless you only lifted the truck 1". This is a price you pay for IFS.

The CVs on my Prius are original with 160k on them. They are not even dry rotted. Dry-rot is the problem you'll see most with aftermarket Vato-Zone, Cardumb, or equivalent boots because they use cheap ass, low quality rubber. The factory ones are high quality silicon compound, and they cost a lot more for a reason.

On a level surface the ribs of the boot should not be touching. This is how they typically come from the factory; They'll touch periodically with suspension articulation, but when you increase the angle (via lift), the ribs start to contact on flat ground with normal road driving constantly, they also stretch more, and they wear out sooner, no matter which ones you use.

I need to do mine soon, and have the Toyota OE boot kit here ready to go. Having done these on vehicles in the past, it's a very messy job and I'll end up pulling them and paying a shop to reboot (probably CVJ because they are right up the street).

Last edited:
The CVs on my Prius are original with 160k on them. They are not even dry rotted
Almost 180k on my GX460 and no rips, tears or dry rot. They're supple to the touch. It is unlifted.

I need to do mine soon, and have the Toyota OE boot kit here ready to go. Having done these on vehicles in the past, it's a very messy job and I'll end up pulling them and paying a shop to reboot (probably CVJ because they are right up the street).
It's maybe 20 minutes more work per side to do the reboot yourself, probably equal in time to making 2 round trips to another shop and back to drop them off. You just need a set of horseshoe washer pliers and a good set of CV boot clamp pliers.

I used to think that the re-boots would be messy/hard (which is why I used reman axles and replaced them several times as the boots tore) until I tried it and realized how quick it is on these rigs.

FWIW, Subaru CV boots usually last around a decade (mileage does not matter), with the rear CV boots lasting 20-25+ years. I agree it's all about the quality of the boot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom