Builds "Rednexus" - 2007 GX470 Build Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's not perfect but far better than it was before. A bit of a gamble, but so are the Lseat covers.

$300 for just a wheel is crazy. I used a small little local shop that mainly does leather repair. You might want to get more quotes.
That’s the plan. Apparently, there is a great little shop in New Orleans near my work I need to check out.

Took another gamble and ordered a Borla Touring 5th gen T4R exhaust ($650 on Amazon; same price as an aFe and $150 cheaper than a Magnaflow), based on it supposedly being once of the quietest aftermarket exhausts, some feedback that it should fit a 120-platform vehicle, and it being 304 SS instead of 409 SS like the others. Got it installed last night and it does fit, although 1) a few of the hangers will need to be cut off and re-welded and 2) the tip sticks about 3" past the bumper and will also need to be cut off and shortened. But it sounds really good - nice low rumble, louder than stock but not obnoxious. It has a bit of a 2-2.5K drone at 125 hz that I hope will subside after break in, if not I'll add a quarter-wave resonator in front of the muffler. Tomorrow I'll pull it back off and weld the hangers and tips into the 120-platform locations.
20230127_163819.jpg

20230127_164514.jpg

I’d
The end of Day 2 header update is below. This upgrade is not for the faint of heart. I've been wrenching for over 20 years, this has been the worst job, period. I've re-ringed Subaru EJ25s, done struts/brakes/etc on multiple vehicles, timing belts, adjusted valve lash, replaced cylinder heads, engine pulls and replacements, but nothing compares to this. Technically, it's easy (just bolts), but every bolt is in the worst possible place and they are easy to strip. The best option would be to find a shop that has done this before (which does not exist in my rural area) and pay them to do it. It's possible for a DIY, just hard and time consuming.

1. Removed the old headers by grinding off the rounded nuts very, very slowly with a Dremel grinding wheel and a flexible attachment. It took around 20 minutes per side (and just 1.5 grinding wheels total).
2. The studs easily came out after welding on a 7/8" I.D. nut. I found the trick is to use a nut much larger than the stud, so the weld can wrap around the stud and cover the top. They only took ~30 ft lbs to remove (probably because they had gotten red hot by welding).
3. Do buy Fel-Pro exhaust manifold gaskets. They are made in Japan and exactly the same as the OEM gaskets - must be from the same factory.
4. Don't buy Fel-Pro exhaust studs. The nuts are a M10x1.25 thread (like OEM) but a 5/8" SAE head! Never have I encountered a mixed metric/SAE nut before, what a crazy product. I have hardly any SAE tools and had to buy several sockets and wrenches to get things in.
5. It took around 90 min per side to tighten things up, and there ended up being 1 lower bolt per side that could not be tightened without removing the motor mounts from the block. I'm just going to run it as-is.
6. To-do list for tomorrow is to bolt the headers to the Y-pipe, install the rear O2 sensor spaces, re-install the sway bar, and take it for a spin.

like to hear it after the high idle warm up

Exhaust install is done! I was on the fence this morning (regarding more noise) and took it on a ~35 mile spin. As I suspected, the OEM exhaust was pretty restrictive (especially with my LT headers) and there was a noticeable increase in midrange torque with the Borla on. Not as big as an increase as I got after installing the headers, but it's definitely there. We'll see if the ~2K drone disappears, if not there is room to add a helmholtz resonator in front of the muffler (but not enough room for a quarter wave).

I ended up having to modify every hanger. Flipped the front and rear-most hangers 180 degrees, extended the hanger at the front of the muffler, and shortened the two at the rear of the muffler by half an inch. Then chopped 3" off of the tailpipe, re-welded on the tip, and trimmed the bumper a little bit. The Borla hangers were actually non-magnetic 304 SS, so we'll see how they do long-term with my welds being normal carbon steel. If I add a helmholtz resonator I'll get some actual SS flux core wire and do it right.

Overall, kind of a fun project, but it would have been easier to just buy a 120-platform aFe exhaust.
20230128_140006.jpg

20230128_140011.jpg

20230128_140017.jpg

20230128_135950.jpg

20230128_135942.jpg

Knocked out some more of the "to-do" list on the Rednexus this weekend.

First order of business was replacing all 8 fuel injectors with a set of 1% flow-matched, 12-hole injectors from CS Performance. Can't really tell if they made any difference in power, but it seems to run a bit smoother. I reset the ECU and my fuel trims are now spot-on from bank to bank. Bank 2 always used be 2% richer than Bank 1, so this pointed to the old injectors being a bit unbalanced from side-to-side. Definitely a good maintenance item for a higher-mileage GX. This was a 2-hour job, half of which was chasing leaks by removing and re-installing the fuel rail.
20230205_175136.jpg

Next up was pulling apart the rear door to fix the PO's wiring on the backup camera (which wasn't working), replacing all of the bulbs with LEDs, adding a rear inside door release, and another pouch where the OEM tool kit was located. Plenty of room for cooking/eating stuff now.
20230205_175107.jpg

Lastly, my drawers were a bit loose due to being held down with cinch straps. I made a bottom platform out of 1" pine boards, bolted it to the OEM anchor locations in the cargo area, and then attached the platform to the drawers with a brad nailer. This provided a perfect spot to store long, flat things, so I used some carpet padding and made cutouts for quite a few emergency tools. This saved even more space on the sides and I was able to remove nearly 100% of my tools/recovery gear from inside the drawers.
20230205_175055.jpg

Have that same hatchet in my GX. Love the cutout idea — going to borrow that for when I build my drawers

This evening (rainy, cabin fever day) I set out to answer the question most of us don't want to ask....how much money have I actually spent on my GX? Turns out the answer was within $300 of my initial, off-the cuff guess. I have a log book of all purchases and saved receipts, but just had not added things up. I did all of the work myself with the exception of alignments/tire installs and repairing the interior leather, so this is parts only. Probably more than is a good idea to ever put into a 16-year old vehicle, but it kind of snowballed and here we are :)

Vehicle Purchase
ItemDescriptionCost
Lexus GX4702007, 135k miles$10,700.00
TOTAL$10,700.00
Maintenance
ItemDescriptionCost
Fluid changes7 oil changes, 3 differential and TD fluid changes, 1 transmission fluid flush, power steering fluid flush, filters and misc washers.$891.94
EnginePCV valve, 1 downstream O2 sensor, 2 upstream O2 sensors, reman 12-hole, flow-matched fuel injectors, exhaust bolts, springs, flange gaskets$679.90
UndercoatingWoolwax and fluid film$99.49
Tires/alignment2 alignments, 2 tire rotate/balances$180.00
SuspensionFront alignment cams, new front LCAs, near rear LCAs and UCAs, new sway bar end links, new sway bar bushings$589.41
TOTAL$2,440.74
Repairs
ItemDescriptionCost
Starter replacementDenso reman starter, crossover pipe gasket, pipe O-rings, replacement heater and radiator hoses, thermostat and gasket, Toyota coolant$337.72
CV axles/rebootingTwo NAPA/Cardone reman axles, warranty replacements on both, All-Pro high-angle CV boots, three sets of wheel bearing seals$458.97
ExteriorReplacement wheelwell splash guards, front inner fender liners, DS tail light$228.98
EngineNew MAF sensor and MAF sensor pigtail$78.78
SteeringReman steering rack, high-pressure PS hose, PS reservoir$518.97
BrakesReman front brake calipers, PowerStop SS brake line kit$283.24
ElectricalReplacement battery$141.18
InteriorRefresh front and rear leather seats, steering wheel, shift knob$325.00
TOTAL$2,372.84
Upgrades
ItemDescriptionCost
Wheels and tiresFalken Wildpeak 265R70/17 tires, Vors VE37 wheels, McGard lug nuts, wheel mounting, new 17" steel spare wheel, new Kenda Klever spare tire and mounting$1,662.20
LightingLED headlights, tail lights, turn signals, brake lights, ditch lights and switchgear, puddle lights, reverse lights, marker lights$466.70
ArmorARB skidplates, SRQ Fabrication recovery points, Apex rock sliders$1,306.49
InteriorWeatherTech floor mats, cargo area sound deadening and outlet, switchgear$424.50
EngineDT LT headers, aFe cold air intake, Borla exhaust, 1/4 wave resonator, SAIS bypass kit, O2 sensor spaces, exhaust manifold bolts and gaskets$2,395.34
DrivetrainWAT Nomad valve body and lockup kit, Hayden transmission cooler, extended rear differential vent$2,321.24
TowingOEM Toyota CLass IV hitch, Redarc elite brake controller and harness$526.17
ExteriorPlast-dip emblems, black belt molding, spindle-style grille$357.19
SuspensionIronman FCP Stage 2 lift kit, DuroBumps F/R bump stops, panhard bar correction kit$3,065.00
DrawersSHW drawers, finishing materials, sleeping platform, and carpeting$1,192.25
Misc.Onboard air, MaxiTrac awning, rear door table$504.00
TOTAL$14,221.08
GRAND TOTAL$29,734.66

Needless to say my build is entering it's final stages. Additional upgrades are probably going to be limited to a replacement dash, 33's when my 32's wear out, and potentially a rear-gear and lockers, which will push it close to the $40K total investment mark. Goes to show you just how expensive this hobby is. Had I paid for labor it would have been an easy $10-15K additional cost, and I probably have a few hundred hours of my own time in the GX.

Last edited:
This evening (rainy, cabin fever day) I set out to answer the question most of us don't want to ask....how much money have I actually spent on my GX? Turns out the answer was within $300 of my initial, off-the cuff guess. I have a log book of all purchases and saved receipts, but just had not added things up. I did all of the work myself with the exception of alignments/tire installs and repairing the interior leather, so this is parts only. Probably more than is a good idea to ever put into a 16-year old vehicle, but it kind of snowballed and here we are :)

Vehicle Purchase
ItemDescriptionCost
Lexus GX4702007, 135k miles$10,700.00
TOTAL$10,700.00
Maintenance
ItemDescriptionCost
Fluid changes7 oil changes, 3 differential and TD fluid changes, 1 transmission fluid flush, power steering fluid flush, filters and misc washers.$891.94
EnginePCV valve, 1 downstream O2 sensor, 2 upstream O2 sensors, reman 12-hole, flow-matched fuel injectors, exhaust bolts, springs, flange gaskets$679.90
SuspensionFront alignment cams, new front LCAs, near rear LCAs and UCAs, new sway bar end links, new sway bar bushings$589.41
TOTAL$2,440.74
Repairs
ItemDescriptionCost
Starter replacementDenso reman starter, crossover pipe gasket, pipe O-rings, replacement heater and radiator hoses, thermostat and gasket, Toyota coolant$337.72
CV axles/rebootingTwo NAPA/Cardone reman axles, warranty replacements on both, All-Pro high-angle CV boots, three sets of wheel bearing seals$458.97
ExteriorReplacement wheelwell splash guards, front inner fender liners, DS tail light$228.98
EngineNew MAF sensor and MAF sensor pigtail$78.78
SteeringRemain steering rack, high-pressure PS hose, PS reservoir$518.97
BrakesReman front brake calipers, PowerStop SS brake line kit$283.24
ElectricalReplacement battery$141.18
InteriorRefresh front and rear leather seats, steering wheel, shift knob$325.00
TOTAL$2,372.84
Upgrades
ItemDescriptionCost
Wheels and tiresFalken Wildpeak 265R70/17 tires, Vors VE37 wheels, McGard lug nuts, wheel mounting, new 17" steel spare wheel, new Kenda Klever spare tire and mounting$1,662.20
LightingLED headlights, tail lights, turn signals, brake lights, ditch lights and switchgear, puddle lights, reverse lights, marker lights$466.70
ArmorARB skidplates, SRQ Fabrication recovery points, Apex rock sliders$1,306.49
InteriorWeatherTech floor mats, cargo area sound deadening and outlet, switchgear$424.50
EngineDT LT headers, aFe cold air intake, Borla exhaust, 1/4 wave resonator, SAIS bypass kit, O2 sensor spaces, exhaust manifold bolts and gaskets$2,395.34
DrivetrainWAT Nomad valve body and lockup kit, Hayden transmission cooler, extended rear differential vent$2,321.24
TowingOEM Toyota CLass IV hitch, Redarc elite brake controller and harness$526.17
ExteriorPlast-dip emblems, black belt molding, spindle-style grille$357.19
SuspensionIronman FCP Stage 2 lift kit, DuroBumps F/R bump stops, panhard bar correction kit$3,065.00
DrawersSHW drawers, finishing materials, sleeping platform, and carpeting$1,192.25
Misc.Onboard air, MaxiTrac awning, rear door table$504.00
TOTAL$14,221.08
GRAND TOTAL$29,734.66

Needless to say my build is entering it's final stages. Additional upgrades are probably going to be limited to a replacement dash, 33's when my 32's wear out, and potentially a rear-gear and lockers, which will push it close to the $40K total investment mark. Goes to show you just how expensive this hobby is. Had I paid for labor it would have been an easy $10-15K additional cost, and I probably have a few hundred hours of my own time in the GX.
Thankfully mine isn't as high. Probably around $25k all in.

Thankfully mine isn't as high. Probably around $25k all in.
Bigger-ticket and kind of unusual items like engine and transmission upgrades definitely drove up the total build cost.

Bigger-ticket and kind of unusual items like engine and transmission upgrades definitely drove up the total build cost.
Yup. For me it was the wheels+tires, metal bumper, radiator replacement and coolant valley plate gasket repair.

Thanks for posting the cost numbers, I appreciate the numbers to help in my own planning!
No problem! A build can certainly be done cheaper, but it's also pretty easy to under-estimate just how much things cost.

I decide to look at it another way. What if I had purchased a 2023 TRD Pro 4Runner instead, done none of the repairs, and skipped most of the suspension/armor upgrades that the TRD comes with stock. It comes in at $66K, or more than 2X what I have in my 470. The 470 has the benefit of a much more powerful V8 and more towing capacity, the 4Runner has a rear locker and is much newer. I can say I am glad I don't have $66K in my off-roader :).

Vehicle Purchase
ItemDescriptionCost
TRD Pro 4Runner2023, Brand New$57,000.00
TOTAL$57,000.00
Maintenance
ItemDescriptionCost
Fluid changes7 oil changes, 3 differential fluid changes, filters$350.57
TOTAL$630.06
Upgrades
ItemDescriptionCost
Wheels and tiresFalken Wildpeak 265R70/17 tires$750.18
LightingDitch lights and switchgear$175.00
ArmorSRQ Fabrication recovery points, Apex rock sliders$834.70
InteriorWeatherTech floor mats$215.92
EngineDT headers, aFe cold air intake, Borla exhaust$1,966.23
Misc.Onboard air, MaxiTrac awning, rear door table
TOTAL$7,981.69
GRAND TOTAL$65,611.75

I was able to un-bolt the handle and remove the factory pipe from the head, then install the M12x1.00 to 1/4" NPT adapter from there. So the rest of my setup is all normal 1/4" NPT - I used a flex hose and tire inflator with a gauge from Harbor Freight. This was partially due to where I mounted it, so the hose would not interfere with the strut on the hood, but also allowed me to add in a pressure shut-off switch. If you mount it lower or somewhere else you can keep more of the factory compressor parts.

There are a couple of problems with this compressor, including that it gets HOT. This past weekend it got so hot that a small hole melted in my flex hose when I was blowing up an inflatable kayak. The QD was too hot to touch as well. I've modified the setup a bit to account for that and will post a picture in a few days. The other is the wiring - it actually has a wire nut connecting the battery leads to the compressor motor (inside the compressor, under the switch area). I wasn't comfortable with a wire nut in an area that might get wet so I removed it and replaced it with a 10 ga heat shrink butt splice.

If you do want to wire it to the battery, it's not particular difficult and is probably safer that using the provided cables, as you get a better connection and have less of a chance of shorting something out when hooking/unhooking. I added the 40-amp circuit breaker on the positive side, a few inches past the battery, just to keep my GX from burning down if there is an electrical issue between the battery and compressor.
I think I've seen ARB air filter that can be plumbed in (attached to firewall?)...
And I was thinking of a blade disconnect as my on-board air switch. This or similar (not Necessarily mounted to battery terminal).

Last edited:
I think I'be seen arb air filter that can ne plumbed in... And I was thinking of a blade disconnect as my on-board air switch. This or similar (not Necessarily mounted to battery terminal).
Blade disconnect would be a nice fail-safe. I have not added in a filter as I just use the compressor when the GX is parked (for airing up), when it's usually not very dusty. For more regular use (like lockers) I'd definitely want a filter.

After quite a bit of trial and error, the drone issue seems to be resolved with my GX. I initially tried a quarter-wave resonator, built out of 1.5" 304 SS tubing, but just didn't get much of a difference out of it despite a lot of fiddling with the length (24.5-33") via a slip joint. I think the tubing resonator pipe diameter was too small relative to the 2.5" catback. I also tried a Helmholtz chamber instead (using cheap mild steel), but had similar results. I could only get a slight reduction in sound at 1,500 rpm and below. I should have used 2" or 2.25" tubing for the resonator.

I finally gave up and put a Vibrant Ultra-Quiet resonator in front of the Borla muffler. The highway drone is now mostly gone (around a 7 db reduction) and it's now only slightly louder than stock around town. Still sounds mean at full throttle, and still has quite a bit more power than with the stock exhaust. Overall I like the end product. However, solving the drone issue was a pain - I'd only recommend this mod if you aren't particularly bothered by drone or if you don't mind slicing up your catback to add drone-cancelling devices. I knew this was a risk before buying the exhaust, it was just a bit more difficult to solve than expected. One other silver lining is that I was able to successfully weld the 304 stainless through my HF Titanium 125 with some Amazon SS flux core wire (after reversing the polarity and doing some grinding of the welds :)).
20230211_095852 (1).jpg

20230217_184520 (1).jpg

After quite a bit of trial and error, the drone issue seems to be resolved with my GX. I initially tried a quarter-wave resonator, built out of 1.5" 304 SS tubing, but just didn't get much of a difference out of it despite a lot of fiddling with the length (24.5-33") via a slip joint. I think the tubing resonator pipe diameter was too small relative to the 2.5" catback. I also tried a Helmholtz chamber instead (using cheap mild steel), but had similar results. I could only get a slight reduction in sound at 1,500 rpm and below. I should have used 2" or 2.25" tubing for the resonator.

I finally gave up and put a Vibrant Ultra-Quiet resonator in front of the Borla muffler. The highway drone is now mostly gone (around a 7 db reduction) and it's now only slightly louder than stock around town. Still sounds mean at full throttle, and still has quite a bit more power than with the stock exhaust. Overall I like the end product. However, solving the drone issue was a pain - I'd only recommend this mod if you aren't particularly bothered by drone or if you don't mind slicing up your catback to add drone-cancelling devices. I knew this was a risk before buying the exhaust, it was just a bit more difficult to solve than expected. One other silver lining is that I was able to successfully weld the 304 stainless through my HF Titanium 125 with some Amazon SS flux core wire (after reversing the polarity and doing some grinding of the welds :)).
View attachment 3251091
View attachment 3251090
Yeah man!
Props for overcomplicated simple things! 👍🤘😈🤘

T'is a life motto. 🤙🏼

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom