GX Twin Turbo or LC 250 hybrid engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For me it‘s the LC-250. Less expensive, hopefully the 27-MPG is accurate but only time will tell. I only need it to tow an overland trailer that loaded is maybe 2200lbs. Maybe the occasional utility run for rock/soil but I’d probably use my 80 for that as well as firewood duties. For now it will be my DD and not be built up. I’m keeping my 80 for off-road trips. Family camping we’d probably take the 250, depends on venue.

I agree if you have a trailer/boat over 4000lbs this is definitely not the vehicle for you. (At least in Colorado). Buy something bigger. You can’t have a midsized maneuverable off-roader and tow monster all in one.

If the LC250 actually is rated at 27 mpg combined, I might actually buy one. But I am highly skeptical it will achieve that number. None of the other Toyota truck hybrids are making that kind of gas mileage.

I kind of like the GX550 but am hard pressed to justify making the move from my GX460 for 1 mpg (albeit a bit more power).

It sounds like nitpicking but one of the things I hate about the LC250 is the way the battery pack raises the cargo area floor. Surely they could have found some space underneath for that?

Expand on that.

Why
Purely the engine.

Long term, hoping it follows the current path between Toyota vs Lexus where you end up with the latter being lower priced, better optioned (in some peoples opinions), and many times better service records.

Purely the engine.

Long term, hoping it follows the current path between Toyota vs Lexus where you end up with the latter being lower priced, better optioned (in some peoples opinions), and many times better service records.
Gx 550

65k+

17mpg

$55k

25+mpg

Yeah
I prefer a Lx 600 with a Trail edition…. with a modern diesel and hybrid engine

Yet I prefer to be realistic for overlanding

Hypothetically

Same trim:

$50k Non hybrid 2.4T 26mpg
$53k Single turbo V6 w/320hp/400tq 23mpg
$55k 2.4T hybrid 27mpg

I'm betting the turbo 6 is cheaper than the hybrid to produce. Non hybrids get full cargo room and/or third row.

Which would you choose then?

Gx 550

65k+

17mpg

$55k

25+mpg

Yeah
I prefer a Lx 600 with a Trail edition…. with a modern diesel and hybrid engine

Yet I prefer to be realistic for overlanding
I’ll just say it. I’m biased. The 250 isn’t even a consideration simply because of the engine. I don’t want a hybrid. If it was a hybrid diesel, I’d consider it, but we know that won’t happen.

I’ll just say it. I’m biased. The 250 isn’t even a consideration simply because of the engine. I don’t want a hybrid. If it was a hybrid diesel, I’d consider it, but we know that won’t happen.
Simple
Hybrid isn’t your preference

Yet… To me ,I own one now for years, knows its reliability and Benefits. Definitely my Preference

Not arguing or anything

Just asking… Do you own a hybrid?

Hypothetically

Same trim:

$50k Non hybrid 2.4T 26mpg
$53k Single turbo V6 w/320hp/400tq 23mpg
$55k 2.4T hybrid 27mpg

I'm betting the turbo 6 is cheaper than the hybrid to produce. Non hybrids get full cargo room and/or third row.

Which would you choose then?
That wouldn’t be the prices or mpg

Not realistic

That wouldn’t be the prices or mpg

Not realistic
Hard to guess until the Tacoma pricing is released.

Tundra hybrid nets 1mpg.
Base 4x4 ttv6 tundra CM is $46k 21mpg
Tundra hybrid option is $3500.

My guesses seem to fit the current range. Tundra is a bit more robust vehicle, but a close analog to base TTV6 4x4. Base lc300 is $46k.

What do you think they'd price them at?

Last edited:
Hard to guess until the Tacoma pricing is released.

Tundra hybrid nets 1mpg.
Base 4x4 ttv6 tundra CM is $46k 21mpg
Tundra hybrid option is $3500.

My guesses seem to fit the current range. Tundra is a bit more robust vehicle, but a close analog to base TTV6 4x4. Base lc300 is $46k.

What do you think they'd price them at?
You can’t get a base tundra for $46k, unless it’s the detuned SR model

And a Hybrid model isn’t $3500 additional.

It starts at the limited trim level. So $62,000 plus!

I like your optimism.

Yet That’s like saying a Diesel gets better fuel economy, you just need to buy a fleet of trucks and Bulk Fuel to see the discount.

17mpg of the Gx550 Sucks in 2024
18mph with a hybrid (If like Tundra)ain’t much better for a additional approximate $8000+

Last edited:
Simple
Hybrid isn’t your preference

Yet… To me ,I own one now for years, knows its reliability and Benefits. Definitely my Preference

Not arguing or anything

Just asking… Do you own a hybrid?
Nope, never did buy one. But many thousands of miles in multiple prius’ and a Camry hybrid. Never had any interest in owning a hybrid in a car, and would never dream of an SUV or truck with one. The math doesn’t add up environmentally or fiscally. I’m probably one of those people that will resist it until I’m taxed out of an ICE.

Nope, never did buy one. But many thousands of miles in multiple prius’ and a Camry hybrid. Never had any interest in owning a hybrid in a car, and would never dream of an SUV or truck with one. The math doesn’t add up environmentally or fiscally. I’m probably one of those people that will resist it until I’m taxed out of an ICE.
Personally… seems great to me

I believe even a river crossing ICE delete is a thing

Last edited:
If the LC250 actually is rated at 27 mpg combined, I might actually buy one. But I am highly skeptical it will achieve that number. None of the other Toyota truck hybrids are making that kind of gas mileage

This. I wouldn’t expect to get near 27 as the sequoia/ tundra hybrids are not getting 20 or 20+ as “rated”

Personably I just bought a 2013 LX570 for $30k to have for the next 5-10 years.

I like the 250 but can’t justify the $50k plus price tag for something that will see trail time….

Hybrids may have a place in mini vans, sedans, hatchbacks and cross overs but has no place in a real Land Cruiser. But it looks like the overland wanks ruined this too.

I think the sr engine is probably what we'd get. The 4x4 crewmax is $46k MSRP. A sr5 4x4 with the TRD OR package is $53k. That's probably the closest actual truck. I'd guess the matching Tacoma will be $5-10k less.

I figured they'd be closer to the 350hp version for the V6. TBH I don't think it matters because it's just a tune away from full power.

Just taking a guess based on other similar stuff. Turbo 6 should be less than hybrid 4.

There was a video , that is showing the benefits of the hybrid system and River crossing

It was a Toyota video…. Here on the forum
Gotcha, I was thrown by your wording, sorry. I’ll track it down. I think the last thing I’d want to add into a river crossing would be more electronics. I’d be interested to see a third party consideration of it. Not necessarily trusting of Toyotas version, pushing it so hard to the NA audience.

So I was traveling last week and was given the keys to a brand new Prius. It was either the Prius or a mini-van so the Prius it was.

While the Prius had impressive performance and even more impressive mileage, (I only put 5 gallons of fuel in it after driving 300 miles through the hills of Virginia), the hybrid engine was mildly annoying at times. There was a nearly constant, albeit faint, electro-mechanical sound that I'm certain was the electric motor ready to jump in and do it's thing to keep the drivetrain as seamless as possible and of course the IC engine would turn on whenever it felt it needed to at stoplights. You could also feel when the gas engine kicked in anywhere above 30-50% throttle.

I'm just not sure I like the idea of a 4 cylinder hybrid. The NVH was certainly noticeable when the Prius IC engine engaged. I would hope it will be less noticeable in the new LC250.

Perhaps the new LC will achieve around 27 mpg, but I'm highly skeptical. Pushing air out of the way is the killer of mileage and the LC250 is pushing a lot more wind than a Prius.

I think I'd prefer the likely smoother twin turbo v-6 over the hybrid.

Which engine would you choose if you could get it in either the GX or LC250?
The iforce hybrid system is entirely different than the Prius system. You shouldn’t assume that the iforce system will behave the same way.

The Prius has a full hybrid system, with the engine and the electric motor both driving a planetary gear — it behave like a CVT. In contrast, the iforce system is a mild hybrid with a traditional automatic transmission and the electric motor sandwiched between the engine and transmission.

The GX has always had the larger motor compared to the 4Runner so as to not cannibalize each other too much.
Huh?

The GX470 had the very same 4.7l V8 that was available in the 4th Gen 4Runner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom