Got Slow Windows? Here's the Fix. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did this with my old window tracks and motor which made them faster. At the same time I installed new window runs. within the past week on a trip the driver's side started to slow down a little bit over time and then the motor ended up failing.

I just finished installing a new Doorman window track and motor from Amazon.

Anything FAST on a 80 is rather amazing!!!!

The Dorman motor isn't bad.
My brushes crumbled in my Rear Drivers Side Window.
Dorman motor was decently built.
Only had to rewire the connector which is 2 wires.

I did this with my old window tracks and motor which made them faster. At the same time I installed new window runs. within the past week on a trip the driver's side started to slow down a little bit over time and then the motor ended up failing.

I just finished installing a new Doorman window track and motor from Amazon.
I could not find a Dorman window track on Amazon, or anywhere else. Would you mind providing a link?

As for the motor, I'm a bit confused. Assuming this is the same truck, the exhaustive motor cleaning by @SUMMIT CRUISERS only lasted 6 months and now you're buying an aftermarket replacement? So why not skip all of the cleaning and just buy the Dorman motor?

Last edited:
I could not find a Dorman window track on Amazon, or anywhere else. Would you mind providing a link?

As for the motor, I'm a bit confused. Assuming this is the same truck, the exhaustive motor cleaning by @SUMMIT CRUISERS only lasted 6 months and now you're buying an aftermarket replacement? So why not skip all of the cleaning and just buy the Dorman motor?

Not the same truck. The one that was featured on the original post was on Summit Cruisers III's truck. Summit Cruisers JR's truck had the c-clip release from the gear groove, which ended up disabling the motor. That was the reason for the Dorman replacement. Here's the Dorman #: http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-741-796-Toyota-Driver-Regulator/dp/B003SON8CW/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Toyota|76&Model=Land Cruiser|1017&Year=1992|1992&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

Last edited:
Here's the Dorman #:
I was looking for the Dorman glass run Jr used, that's what I couldn't find on Amazon.

Thanks for the clarification on the motor. I'm curious, it's been about a year that you've cleaned the motor(s), how long have they lasted and are they showing any signs of simply wearing-out? That was one of the best write-ups I've read.

I was looking for the Dorman glass run Jr used, that's what I couldn't find on Amazon.

Thanks for the clarification on the motor. I'm curious, it's been about a year that you've cleaned the motor(s), how long have they lasted and are they showing any signs of simply wearing-out? That was one of the best write-ups I've read.

I only used the Dorman motor assembly. I could have fixed my old ones, but the Dormans are still faster.

I used new Toyota runs.

Here's the facts and make your own educated decision:

Motor takes about 30 mins to change including crimping the 2 wires

Dorman Motor is faster and costs <$50.
Factory Motor is $250 unless you buy an unknown condition used one.

Window runs are $137 shipped per pair and take about 30 mins to install.
They are OEM Only.

I'm on the last leg of a total restoration/Isuzu diesel swap and had super slow windows as well. So slow in fact that I had to grab my glass with one hand to help it up. Everyone needs to keep in mind that spraying any type of lube into your run channels will only be a temporary fix. Dust and dirt will stick to that lube in the tracks and only amplify your real problem. Instead try this. Roll your glass all the way down. Pull the rubber window run channels out and use dawn dishwashing liquid and an old toothbrush to scrub the buildup inside of the rubber where the glass rides. Rinse and while still wet the rubbers will slide easily back into the doors. I have been in the auto body business for over 20 years and seen this on hundreds of vehicles. My windows work now effortlessly with speed just like new. Auto manufacturers don't lube the runs at the factory so why would you? Inside this rubber where the glass rides is where all the friction is when the glass moves. Trust me cleaning out years of buildup will amaze you at how well your windows will work again. They may not look dirty but just pull that drivers door rubber out and start scrubbing. You'll be surprised at all of the black mess that comes out of it!
I'm surprised there has been very little talk about removing and cleaning the glass run. Has anyone else tried this? I don't think TNNPIG is very active, so I'm curious about other experiences.

Agree. I been replacing 24yr old OEM parts on my truck since I got it. I figure, if this weatherstrip or switch or grab handle or whatever lasted 24yrs, a new one will last just as long.

For me, that is worth the extra cost of OEM parts.

Cheers

Great write up for those with time and skills

I went the replacement route ....found on Amazon about $100 for both left and right. Not sure what OEM replacements cost but we are talking about an electric motor and stamped steel. How much better could OEM really be.

Lou

Keep in mind that at these ages and miles most of them wont go anywhere near another 250k mi or another 24 Years and wont be driven nearly as much if they do.

Sent from my LG-LS970

Big difference between japanese engineered and chinese copied. Looks like you have 4 japanese vehicles in your sig. Would you buy chinese copies of them?
You make a point, but I'm replying to you on a Chinese-made(likely be an 8 yr old) iPad, which has been flawless in my years of ownership...

hey,

changing the windows runs also fixed my really slow moving windows. done that few months ago...fairly easy thing.....
In the process I cleaned and re-greased the regulators... they all work fine now...

here are the OEM PN:
68141-60010, 68151-60010, 68142-60011, 68152-60011 and they were around 180 USD shipped to my door

Search for Genuine Parts - Amayama Trading

Every 30k windows should be serviced. Every 100k they better be seviced. Toyota uses rubber around the windows to prevent the whistle noise that felt is notorius for. My recommendation is to get Shu etsu window lube. Takes about 30seconds to apply per window and will do everything that you ever wanted with your glass. If you havent tried Shu etsu window lube you are waisting your time. Two minutes is all it takes for glass that goes up and down faster than you can say upanddownshuetsuiloveyoux2 thank you and your welcome.

Nice write up by the way.

This is what I use on all my windows:

pri-1-x525.jpg

I clean the runs first, add the silicon grease, then clean them again after a couple days. The grease softens the rubber and leeches out the gunk that builds up. The difference is amazing.

Ah, the Shin-Etsu Window Lube referenced by tlc1995 looks like it's Honda's Silicone Grease.

Genuine Honda 08798-9013 Silicone Grease
by Honda
Link: http://amzn.com/B00GD49GTS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom