Jeep idiot here with a '97 FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up an FZJ80. Build Thread.

Basics:
40th Annie
2.5in OME Lift (Springs & Shocks)
ARB F&R Bumpers
Slee HD Drag Link
F&R DBA Rotors, Slee SS lines, and Reman Calipers
315/75R16 Duratracs (35's)
Rigid D2s - Driving Pattern
Slee Headlight harness & HIR2-9012 Lows
Warn Winch

IMG_20160306_175844_zpsjudsjidf.jpg

On Deck:

Redo a front brake line
Oil Pressure Sender
Additional Wiring Cleanup
-Dome Light
-Battery Terminals

Source Pass Body Panels & Headlight
Add AUX Battery
-Run AWG 0 to rear (Amplifier, Compressor, Inverter)
-Reconnect Winch
Sliders

COMPLETED:

186,500mi (October 2018)

5W-30 Mobile 1 & Factory (Small) Filter
Tire rotation
Grease driveshafts
No issues

180,000mi (April 2017)
Tire rotation
Grease driveshafts
No issues

175,000mi (June 2016)

Oil Pressure Sender
Clean & Undercoat Front Underbody, Frame, and Wheel Wells
Dome Light wiring cleanup

174,500mi (April-May 2016)
Factory Reman Calipers (Rear)
DS Washer Fluid Pump/Diverter Thingey
PS Brake Hardline
Cleaned & Undercoated Rear Underbody, Frame, and Wheel Wells
Winch Reconnected
Fusible Links replaced
Sunroof Plastic PS Trim Replacement
Clean, coat, and replace rear lift/tail-gate seal
Adjusted rear brake bias gizmo (LSPV)
Tire rotation

172,500mi (Mar 2016)
315/75R16 Duratracs
Viper Remote Start/Keyless
Fixed Pushed Start
Deep interior cleaning

172,000mi (Jan-Feb 2016)

Slee HD Drag Link & Ends
Factory Reman Calipers (Front)
DBA Rotors F&R
J80 Factory Pads F&R
Knuckle Rebuild
Front Diff Fluid
Wheel Bearings

171,000mi (Dec 2015)
Slee Headlight Harness
Upgraded Low Beams (w/ Phillips HIR2-9012)
Rigid D2 Driving Lights

Purchased Nov. 3 2015, Totaled Nov 3, 2015 (Nov - Dec 2015)
Junkyard axle swap.
New control arms.

-----------------------------------------------

Few things...

Lockers/gears
Doesn't have lockers, I'm considering adding a couple powertrax no-slips along with the regear, anyone have experience with these? As for gearing, I'm seeing 4.88's and a much deeper 5.29 from a few websites (nitro), does anyone make a 5.13 set that splits the difference?

Springs
I'd like to move to the OME 3in HD set, I'm assuming I can stick with the current shocks until they need replacement.

12/7 Updated with pictures:
Home for the first time (purchased and promptly crashed on 11/3) from the shop w/ new axle -- no body work done (yet).
IMG_20151204_175826_zpsg51hec86.jpg

Rigid D2s going on while waiting on new brakes.
IMG_20151207_132927_zpsogf564jt.jpg

Last edited:
Also, anything else I should buy?

Random things I already plan on adding are some slee sliders and fabbing some underbelly protection that ties into those.

:flipoff2:welcome!
search the threads, there are a bazillion threads about tires.
tons of photos too.

no middle range gears that i know of. my 5:29's pull with 35's pretty good, but sing pretty loud on the freeway.

no lockers were on mine either, i dropped in ARB's when i regeared.

where you located?

Welcome, my 1st advice is DON'T BE IN A HURRY like was. Do a lot of reading here on mud. All the answers are here. The better threads are the 5 to 10 year old threads. That where all veterans got it all figured out. Below in my signature are to very important links Slee newbie & the 80 FAQ. Keep all your stuff in one thread, this one here is as good as any.
Figure out how you will use your rig 1st then build around it. These 80s are some amazing capable rigs.

My advice, sign off of mud, and don't ever come back. :flipoff2:
Ha! Best advice I've seen yet! The 80 thinks your wallet can clone itself, and it'll convince you the same.

:flipoff2:welcome!
search the threads, there are a bazillion threads about tires.
tons of photos too.

no middle range gears that i know of. my 5:29's pull with 35's pretty good, but sing pretty loud on the freeway.

no lockers were on mine either, i dropped in ARB's when i regeared.

where you located?

Interesting, weird there isn't 5.13s. I'll go with 5.29's then.

I'm between Texas (Austin) and Vermont, the 80 is going to reside in Texas for now.

Welcome, my 1st advice is DON'T BE IN A HURRY like was. Do a lot of reading here on mud. All the answers are here. The better threads are the 5 to 10 year old threads. That where all veterans got it all figured out. Below in my signature are to very important links Slee newbie & the 80 FAQ. Keep all your stuff in one thread, this one here is as good as any.
Figure out how you will use your rig 1st then build around it. These 80s are some amazing capable rigs.

I'll check out the links. Not in a huge hurry, just a few things I want to knock out -- i.e., needs new tires regardless. It's heading off-road ASAP while I work on a front axle swap for my Wrangler this winter (high pinion 1-ton D44 out of a bronco), hence the lockers and regear.

They are certainly very capable, seemed like the more active wheeling groups in NE all rolled Toyotas, went to a few of their events with my Wrangler when it was out there.

Please he said he had a jeep" just each and every penny", the 80's are no more expensive then the heep ,I mean jeep.At least when you put money into your 80 it stays running.In my experience the toyota/lexus is way easier to work on ,even the pesky heater hose beat working on my tj.Selling my fj60 and keeping my Tj rubicon was about as smart as getting married.Both are mistakes I won't do again. Not to worry I'm sure I have a lot more dumb mistakes to make before this life is threw .Welcome to the 80's my friend enjoy its dependability.

I'd let the size tire you plan to run dictate the gears (nope to 5.13's)

Cheap tires are the used ones - check the local CL / whatever other local resources you know & find some there. Heck, I'd check here in the classifieds too.

Search around, take your time - tires will show up & when you figure out the final tire size you plan based on usage, you'll know what gear ratio will suit you.

Cheaper tires are gonna be the 16's ... at least in my experience. 315/75R16 are what most guys seem to run and you don't need re-gear.

Please he said he had a jeep" just each and every penny", the 80's are no more expensive then the heep ,I mean jeep.At least when you put money into your 80 it stays running. [snip] Welcome to the 80's my friend enjoy its dependability.

Two actually, '05 TJ Rubicon and a '98 XJ Cherokee. Haven't had any reliability issues other than those caused off-road, both have been really good to me.

Been wanting an 80 for awhile and needed a new 4x4 project.

Cheaper tires are gonna be the 16's ... at least in my experience. 315/75R16 are what most guys seem to run and you don't need re-gear.

Thanks, that's one of the sizes I was looking at that seemed to be on the cheaper end. I know I don't 'need to' regear but I prefer driving with at least a stock equivalent.

I've been around the jeep and toyota side for some time. Never seen the terms D44 and 1 ton put together... your not gaining much there. Broncos were never 1 ton vehicles.

Sent from my SM-G900V

I've been around the jeep and toyota side for some time. Never seen the terms D44 and 1 ton put together... your not gaining much there. Broncos were never 1 ton vehicles.

Sent from my SM-G900V

It's a high pinion D44 with 3in tubes and I'm building it up with D60 outers and shafts. Like this... ProRock 44/60 Hybrid™ If you had a D60 and swapped out the 60 pumpkin with a 44 it's what you'd end up with.

Not running larger than 37's, just looking for more strength over the D30/44 hybrid currently on my Jeep.

Two actually, '05 TJ Rubicon and a '98 XJ Cherokee. Haven't had any reliability issues other than those caused off-road, both have been really good to me.

Been wanting an 80 for awhile and needed a new 4x4 project.
I drove the exact same two Jeeps you run. An 01 XJ with D44, 5.13's, chromos, lockers, and 37's. An 04 TJ with lockers, D44s, 4.88s, and 35's. They both left me stranded on the trail numerous times. Cracked 0331 head (TWICE), failed water pump, small crack in radiator, failed CPS sensor (numerous times), seized power steering pump. Bent the tie rods and track bars numerous times. Grenaded TRE's numerous times. Jeep takes the approach to put parts on their vehicles that meet the bare minimum to get it road worthy. Toyota puts parts on their cars for worse case scenario in all situations. Totally different approach and it clearly reveals itself on the trail. My Jeeps constantly broke down in stock form with a minor lift and 35's. My 80 never broke down on the trail with a mild lift and 35's. I loved my Jeeps, but I also love spending 90% of my budget on upgrades and 10% on repairs which my 80 provided. My Jeeps were more like 60% repairs and 40% upgrades. You can do a LOT more and go a LOT further with a Yota with the same amount of money spent when compared to a Jeep. You will figure this out pretty soon. Enjoy the 80.

Why not just build 60 and be done with it. I've run through building a jeep all the axles to end up.with 60/14 combo. When I parted my jeep out due to wanting.to keep parts for my next build the guy that bought my front end had you exact set up and was on his 3rd ring and pinion. You beef up.thr axle your going to push it harder. It will find it weak link. That's my $.02

Sent from my SM-G900V

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom