Getting to work and "finishing"my 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Keeping the thread going! Been busy but haven't stopped work towards my goal. The flywheel is at the machine shop for resurfacing and i finally have a "garage" to keep the 40 in.

IMG_1275.JPG

Take measurements of your side stippes ... any vinyl shop can recreate them ... unless your thinking of painting them on

Great cruiser !!!

Post up your stripes on these threads .... your not alone :)

Take measurements of your side stippes ... any vinyl shop can recreate them ... unless your thinking of painting them on

Great cruiser !!!

Post up your stripes on these threads .... your not alone :)

Way ahead of you, I was planning on new vinyl pinstripes but painted stripes would have their advantages as well.

Slowly making more progress, ordered two bearings for the t-case and will hopefully install the front output shaft bearing tomorrow. Got the new throw-out bearing ready to go.

I would like to start by apologizing for failing to post my incremental progress in my seemingly endless pursuit of having a running driving 40. But I am also very excited to show the progress i have made. the transferase and transmission are installed into the truck and currently i am just bolting everything up and making sure i didn't forget anything.

IMG_0107.JPG

IMG_0112.JPG

I've also been meaning to ask the mud community about an item on my fj that i have been trying to figure out the purpose of, there is one on each side of the frame just underneath the front floor pan. My 40 has had a past life with a V8 and several questionable additions so nothing would surprise me.

IMG_0091.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

The V8 had fender well headers. Those brackets were for the muffler hangers. You'll probably find the bottom back of inner frt fenders cut or trimmed slightly too.

It's gonna be an awesome feeling when you fire her up and go for a drive! I envy you!:clap:
I did today! threw the fuel tank in her, put in the driver seat, and cruised around my yard and the backroads for a while! it was definitely pure bliss after all the hard work I put into it.

I did today! threw the fuel tank in her, put in the driver seat, and cruised around my yard and the backroads for a while! it was definitely pure bliss after all the hard work I put into it.
That's freakin awesome i'm happy for you!:beer: i haven't driven mine in maybe 12 or 13 yrs and it has been sitting at my (buddies) body shop since Oct with no progress my tub is just a final prime and paint/clear coat from being back in my hands I've pretty much finished everything i can do without the tub i'm so frustrated its even taped off. :bang:

That's freakin awesome i'm happy for you!:beer: i haven't driven mine in maybe 12 or 13 yrs and it has been sitting at my (buddies) body shop since Oct with no progress my tub is just a final prime and paint/clear coat from being back in my hands I've pretty much finished everything i can do without the tub i'm so frustrated its even taped off. :bang:
Thanks Man! now i just have body work to do! i can't even imagine how frustrating that is.

So this weekend will hopefully mean new quarter panels and a rear sill being installed, i'll see how far I get!🤞
Also, a question for any experienced 40 owners, i recently replaced my aftermarket troll hole carb with the rebuilt original Aisin and it has a pretty fast idle, I've tried adjusting it but can only get the idle to increase, any suggestions to troubleshooting/tuning?
IMG_0119.jpeg
IMG_0117.jpeg

Watch this little video, it was a huge help for me to iron out my carb tuning.

First find the idle SPEED and the idle mixture screws. The idle speed one is almost impossible to see on the rear of the carb. That basically sets the stop on the throttle linkage. That‘s the one that you want to find. Also make sure that the choke is not engaged.

Thanks guys for the carb info. unfortunately the 40 is currently parked while i sort out a fuel tank leak. I found it a good time to do a quick repaint and reinstall the transmission hump today. I'm pretty happy with the results, i used closed cell foam strips for sealing to the body and stainless hardware i had laying around to bolt it down. Now i just have to paint the floor....
IMG_0120.JPG
IMG_0121.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom