Builds Gerry's Build thread: "If it happens again I'm buying an Abrams" (27 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like my slick-top roof. I do not want a roof rack. I do not like the awnings that hang from them, either.

So I picked up one of these SlumberJack awnings for 'overlanders'.

It's a neat idea, but it's definitely got it's gimmickiness. In my application with the slick roof (awning has clips to secure to a rack) and with the rear spoiler on the hatch, it's a little less than ideal but workable. Opening and closing the hatch results in a change in how taught the poles and guide-lines are. I found that running 4 poles is best.

20210303_141230.jpg

The awning is made to clip to your tires. In my case, I used the quarter hoop on my bumper. This will likely be what I use in the future as it's not uncommon for the wheels to be covered in mud. The following picture shows where it gets clipped. When everything is taught, the clip holds a little further forward on the hoop.

20210303_143727.jpg

Since the roof is slick, this sonuvabitch doesn't want to stay in place. So, I used a bigass suction cup with a clip on it. Worked well. I bought these to mount a square awning to the side of the truck, allowing me to anchor to the roof without a rack.

20210303_143735.jpg

Gives a great amount of covered, waterproof space just off the back of the truck.

20210303_144044.jpg

20210303_143718.jpg

The awning comes with guide-lines, 8 pretty decent stakes, and a pair of collapsible poles (like tent poles, they're connected with a string inside). I also purchased a pair of twist-adjustable poled from Amazon.

Overall I dig it, but I wonder how much use it'll really get. More than likely, it'll replace my EZ-Up for camping due to size, and I'll probably set it up as a standalone, not attached to the truck.

I also bought an Exped MegaMat Duo. The bigger one. It's a PERFECT fit in my truck on the sleeping platform. Now I can't wait to build drawers v2.

Did you consider a standalone pop up awning like ppl use in their backyards? It would be pretty sturday and won't require all the gymnastics you have to do with this one!

We’ve enjoyed ours! More functional than a side mounted awning in my opinion, and it doesn’t take up as much space inside as the big stand up ones! Once you do the initial setup it’s a breeze moving forward. Only thing I might change is adjustable poles, but you’ve got that covered already. I’ve been using it pretty extensively for a year, and it has held up great.

9F94484A-96C2-456E-BD0B-7667185DCED3.jpeg

32CF58FE-C797-4DE4-AA38-44C08BCEA9B2.jpeg

Last edited:
Did you consider a standalone pop up awning like ppl use in their backyards? It would be pretty sturday and won't require all the gymnastics you have to do with this one!

I have an EZ Up that I've used for years. It's bulky though, taking up my full rear seat foot well or laying all the way across my platform. And kind of a pain to set up. Do you know of something cool?

We’ve enjoyed ours! More functional than a side mounted awning in my opinion, and it doesn’t take up as much space inside as the big stand up ones! Once you do the initial setup it’s a breeze moving forward. Only thing I might change is adjustable poles, but you’ve got that covered already. I’ve been using it pretty extensively for a year, and it has held up great.

View attachment 2602428
View attachment 2602438

That's awesome! Does opening/closing your hatch have any impact on it? Do you have either a rear spoiler or roof rack? What do you clip the sides to on the truck?

I have an EZ Up that I've used for years. It's bulky though, taking up my full rear seat foot well or laying all the way across my platform. And kind of a pain to set up. Do you know of something cool?

That's awesome! Does opening/closing your hatch have any impact on it? Do you have either a rear spoiler or roof rack? What do you clip the sides to on the truck?
I'm able to open and close the hatch with no problem. I have no roof rack or spoiler and only have it connected to my rear wheels. It's plenty tight and hasn't had the need to connect the top center strap, even in windy conditions. It's easy enough to just pull the guy lines or wheel straps a little tighter if closing the hatch loosens anything up.

I like my slick-top roof. I do not want a roof rack. I do not like the awnings that hang from them, either.

It's a neat idea, but it's definitely got it's gimmickiness. In my application with the slick roof (awning has clips to secure to a rack) and with the rear spoiler on the hatch, it's a little less than ideal but workable. Opening and closing the hatch results in a change in how taught the poles and guide-lines are. I found that running 4 poles is best.

View attachment 2602277

The awning is made to clip to your tires. In my case, I used the quarter hoop on my bumper. This will likely be what I use in the future as it's not uncommon for the wheels to be covered in mud. The following picture shows where it gets clipped. When everything is taught, the clip holds a little further forward on the hoop.

View attachment 2602279

Since the roof is slick, this sonuvabitch doesn't want to stay in place. So, I used a bigass suction cup with a clip on it. Worked well. I bought these to mount a square awning to the side of the truck, allowing me to anchor to the roof without a rack.

View attachment 2602284

Gives a great amount of covered, waterproof space just off the back of the truck.

View attachment 2602287

View attachment 2602289

The awning comes with guide-lines, 8 pretty decent stakes, and a pair of collapsible poles (like tent poles, they're connected with a string inside). I also purchased a pair of twist-adjustable poled from Amazon.

Overall I dig it, but I wonder how much use it'll really get. More than likely, it'll replace my EZ-Up for camping due to size, and I'll probably set it up as a standalone, not attached to the truck.

I also bought an Exped MegaMat Duo. The bigger one. It's a PERFECT fit in my truck on the sleeping platform. Now I can't wait to build drawers v2.

View attachment 2602277

View attachment 2602279

View attachment 2602284

View attachment 2602287

View attachment 2602289

We really like the Roadhouse Tarp. We got the one with the bug netting. It’s a pretty great solution for us.

We camped last summer on Ocracoke Island, and the strong winds meant I was frequently bringing it down, then putting it back up.
104AB9CF-E3DC-4C2B-BCB4-721D69DE0448.jpeg

We really like the Roadhouse Tarp. We got the one with the bug netting. It’s a pretty great solution for us.

We camped last summer on Ocracoke Island, and the strong winds meant I was frequently bringing it down, then putting it back up.
View attachment 2616443

I'd considered the one with the netting but decided to see how often I'll use it in general before springing. I'm glad you like it!

Did you have to open up your lights to clean them

View attachment 2616641

I haven't yet. I resolved that if I'm going to open them up, I'm going to upgrade them. Upgrading them keeps getting pushed down in priority. They did finally dry out, though that mud stain is still there. Oh, I lost high-beam function after this incident as well. Haven't pulled the buckets out to play with it yet.

I haven't yet. I resolved that if I'm going to open them up, I'm going to upgrade them. Upgrading them keeps getting pushed down in priority. They did finally dry out, though that mud stain is still there. Oh, I lost high-beam function after this incident as well. Haven't pulled the buckets out to play with it yet.
Let me know if I can help in anyway..

FS: Full set of ASFIR skid plates.

Wanted: Full set of steel skid plates.

20210321_135333.jpg

Took Gerry out with some friends to do some wheeling this weekend. Had an amazing trip but added a little character to the truck. Found out at what water depth the truck will float. Almost laid it on its side but @Wermz and @bencallaway saved my ass. We all took some bumps but holy crap what a trip.

IMG_20210321_153718.jpg

Following pics all from @Wermz

IMG_20210321_180255.jpg

IMG_20210321_153714.jpg

IMG_20210321_153711.jpg

Wow! That looks like a memorable day!
I have so many questions: Where did you guys go? Were there any other 100s besides yours? How deep water it too deep? What happened to the ASFIR?

We were supposed to have another 100 there but @sammybones was out of town for business. I had to carry the torch as the only IFS truck there.

Landed hard on that transfer case skid and started hearing my driveshaft U-joints knocking it as I drove. Scared the s*** out of me because it didn't sound very different than when my diff blew up :oops: Happy it was a simpl fix and compared to what @bencallaway had to trail-fix, I was unscathed. Wheeling with a great group of guys who are adept and knowledgeable is hugely valuable. Fun fact, this was the first trip I was able to take my fiancee on with my other hoodrat LandCruiser friends!

Coppinger Cove.
Two 80’s, a Disco and GA’s 470.
This water was too deep.
See first line.

"This water was too deep" :rofl: :cry:

Would love to see more pics and vids of this trip

You and me both! Ryan @Wermz took a ton of awesome footage and I am on pins and needles to see the video. For those who don't already know, check out Big City Offroad on youtube . You'll see lots of very well shot and edited videos with a good bit of 80/100 footage. Some of it featuring yours truly.

Last edited:
That looks like an absolute blast. I think you need more backup lights though :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom