Builds Gerry's Build thread: "If it happens again I'm buying an Abrams" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bet if you posted a want ad on the classifieds here, somebody would have an OEM amp they replaced that you could just swap in.

I bet if you posted a want ad on the classifieds here, somebody would have an OEM amp they replaced that you could just swap in.

I very well may do that. I took the amp out today while I was cleaning the body under the carpet. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll dry out. The stereo did randomly work for a bit the other day, then I turned off the car and it hasn't come back.

Speaking of cleaning under the carpet.. Ugh.. I pulled the door sills and lower B-pillar trim to be able to lift the carpet up from the body. A lot of gentle low-pressure water, my shop vac with nook and cranny tool, and time. And some rags. And sunlight.

20210203_142001.jpg

20210203_145410_HDR.jpg

20210203_151644_HDR.jpg

I also refoamed my passenger side speakers. The front speaker doesn't look clean but I was reluctant to scrub the paper too much.

20210203_154520_HDR.jpg

20210203_154515_HDR.jpg

I also recovered the fabric on the speaker grills to match what I did to the driver's door speaker grill. Looks nice.

The carpet guy will be here in the morning to shampoo.

Last edited:
Oh man oh man!! Just a few minutes of fun and you gotta spend hours cleaning up the mess. Looks like you had fun though! I could have brought over my extractor for that carpet. I guess now it is time to upgrade that stereo!

You know, I was thinking about just buying an extractor vs paying my carpet guy. But I'm not that smart.

I don't think this stereo can really be updated. As far as I know the Mark Levinson is pretty much what I can have. Someone tell me if I'm wrong though.

Stereo can be updated, it's just more complicated with the ML system. Depends on if you want a new amp, new speakers, or both. The 3-way setup of each door obviously adds more parts and cost. A quick search here should yield some ideas on what people have swapped in.

Stereo can be updated, it's just more complicated with the ML system. Depends on if you want a new amp, new speakers, or both. The 3-way setup of each door obviously adds more parts and cost. A quick search here should yield some ideas on what people have swapped in.

I'll do a quick search but updating the system is low-to-no priority. I suppose I could go to the nav delete route but I don't really care enough to put that kind of effort or money into that job. My speakers are all in new condition, I've got seamless bluetooth for streaming, and I hate Android Auto. :meh:

Carpet guy came. Looks much better. The staining you see under the passenger's seat is coffee or something. We couldn't get it out 2 years ago either.

20210204_151340.jpg

20210204_151347.jpg

Last edited:
BTW, is anyone else having issues with attaching photos? Instead of being pictured inline, my pics are just "View attachment 321432" links.

I am able to attach pics. Also, I can't see any of your attachments in the last couple of posts.
Proof:
WheelInstall.jpg

Got Gerry looking more like a finished product this evening. I decided to set up one of the fans on my amp to see if I could dry anything out :meh:

While I was cleaning the door panels before installation, I noticed the thick adhesive that Mr T used to secure the map pockets to the panels had either broken or detached. So I re-hot-glued them. I'm willing to bet this issue is not uncommon, and is probably the cause of some kind of irritating rattle in a few trucks on here.

20210204_164033.jpg

20210204_164037.jpg

20210204_172339.jpg

20210204_182325.jpg

No dice with my amp magically drying out so I dropped it off at a local computer repair shop to see if they can clean it inside or IDK do some electronic magic to it. If not, I'll be out $50 for the attempt.

Wanted: used, known-working ML amp for 2005 LX470.

Sending my amp out to a buddy who has someone that might be able to rebuild my ML amp. This is annoying now.

Over the weekend I got to hang out with @Wermz while he replaced my axle seals and wired up my rear bumper for the lighting. I've got a pair of 3-ways and a pair of dedicated reverse lights. Yesterday, I finished installing the Baja Design reverse lights. They're bright. As fck. I also got the chassis pressure washed, gave the truck a much needed bath, and greased the driveshafts/suspension components.

20210223_155915_HDR.jpg

20210223_155929.jpg

20210223_155946.jpg

20210224_012506_HDR.jpg

Had all 5 tires rotated today, need to change oil later this afternoon when I finish up work stuff. Mileage on the truck is 275,500.

Go park it at a construction site, it is time to get you a new 100! :lol:

Looking good! I’ve been eyeballing the Baja Designs S1. Glad you like them. Leaning towards a PVS-14 though.

Hmmm. That close up photo really amplifies the rot. Pro Tip - make sure you use plenty of PB Blaster anytime you wrench on it.

I'm gonna wax the axle. And you're gonna like it.

Looking good! I’ve been eyeballing the Baja Designs S1. Glad you like them. Leaning towards a PVS-14 though.

I'd actually forgotten I bought the BDs. I ordered some cheapies originally but the fitment was terrible. A buddy mentioned that I had some nice lights and I was like "nah, these are just some cheap ones to fill the hole". Then I went back and found the receipt. Nope, not cheapies!

BTW, is anyone else having issues with attaching photos? Instead of being pictured inline, my pics are just "View attachment 321432" links.
Yes, every now and then mine will have the "View Attachment xxx" link and when I click on it, it gives me an error. It's sporadic but I've been having okay luck lately. Been driving me crazy because I thought it was just me!

Yes, every now and then mine will have the "View Attachment xxx" link and when I click on it, it gives me an error. It's sporadic but I've been having okay luck lately. Been driving me crazy because I thought it was just me!
Same issue last time I posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom