FZJ80 rear axle upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You should search differences between semi-floating and full-floating axles, rather than have someone spoon feed you info. Numerous threads have dealt with this topic.
There are plenty of differences between the two and the main realization is there will be a decent amount of fab to add FZJ80 axles simply due to the fact you will be moving from a leaf sprung suspension axle to a coil over suspension axle. Which means you will need to determine if you are cutting off the CO perches and adding perches for the leaf springs or vice versa. That is just the tip of the iceberg though.

Ok then. Will do.. it I’d rather you GLTHFJ60 use a fork than a spoon when you feed me.

There are plenty of differences between the two and the main realization is there will be a decent amount of fab to add FZJ80 axles simply due to the fact you will be moving from a leaf sprung suspension axle to a coil over suspension axle. Which means you will need to determine if you are cutting off the CO perches and adding perches for the leaf springs or vice versa. That is just the tip of the iceberg though.
Thank you. It’s not in my near future. But I appreciate the initial explanation.ill look it up.

982466F7-12B4-435C-9DD9-D6E4B8B41B90.jpeg

You end up chopping everything off the axle housing from the previous suspension set up. You can kinda see that the top end of the of the photo the axle has had the brackets chopped off. Then you set the pinion angle and burn the new leaf spring perches in.

The hub mounts on the spindle shown on the end of the axle and the axle mounts to the outside end of the hub and slides into the third member. Benefits are tougher design, easier remote servicing and disc brakes (require 16” wheels)

I discovered through internet research that the 60 series (original front) is 4.1111111 with 37/9 but the 80 series (rear swap) is 4.1 with 41/10. Does this cause problems? Will it stress the transfer case if driven on hard surfaces in 4WD?

I discovered through internet research that the 60 series (original front) is 4.1111111 with 37/9 but the 80 series (rear swap) is 4.1 with 41/10. Does this cause problems? Will it stress the transfer case if driven on hard surfaces in 4WD?

No and no

I didn't notice anything. But then I regeared not too long after the swap.

It's a .0026% difference in rotation. That's about a 1/4-inch of the circumference of a 33" tire. Your tires slip more then that going around every corner you drive on.

This is one of the things I plan on having you guys do when I bring you my 62 for the H55F swap. Along with a Harrop E-locker and a shackle reversal. Hoping by then I'll have the OME suspension install done by then. Sure wish I could afford the whole 80 series suspension conversion, but I think I'll still be happy with OME. Anything will be a vast improvement over the condition of my suspension now....

If I do the whole 80 suspension conversion I wont bother putting the time into refreshing my 60 axles. But I need to decide soon since the straight 80 swap needs to hack off the mounts.

I swapped a 4.3 rear end on my 4.1 4runner and it wouldnt even roll on a hill with the transfer case engaged. I drove 4wd on the beach and that was about all I'd risk.

FJ60 gear ratio is 3.70
FJ62 is 4.11.

I have a bj60. 1981

Can someone that has done this please recommend the correct perches to use on this conversion? I don't want to grind them off my 60 axle. THANKS!

2.75" wide spring perches from ruff stuff or anywhere else.

@GLTHFJ60 So the width doesn't matter so much on the stock perches? Mine are 3.5" wide, but the OME springs are 2.75" so it makes sense.
Thanks.

The stock perches are wider because of the stock isolator. All you need to do is match the spring perch and ubolt plate to the width of the actual leaf spring, which is 2.75".

That being said, I've used 2.5" perches with cruiser springs for years because they're more readily available. They work fine.

Moroso 85090 are what we use for SUA applications as they are shorter and rounded on the F/R edges very similar to the originals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom