FZJ80 rear axle upgrade (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You can use your current 3rd.

...via IH8MUD app

The only common part is the diff, but you have to take the C clips out. Not sure about the locker, if it will work without the C clips - not personally familiar with that brand.

The fj60 sf third will work just fine in the fzj80 axle housing. Everything else is different AFAIK.

Edit: wow, I'm late to the party. Sorry!

Your third member will drop right in place. If you already have a FF rear the bearings are the same too.

Dyno

Tor or anyone else who has done this modification, what brake line was used? Should I use the 60 series rear hard line with 80 series axle to caliper soft lines? Or can I use all 60 series lines to 80 calipers?

In addition are there other bolt-on rear calipers for this axle? I was planning on grinding them to fit my stock rims, but if there is a smaller profile caliper I while do that instead because I'll probably be able to buy remanufactured.

I used the FZJ80 factory rear axle line on the axle, and then one of my generic metric extended brake lines to go from the frame of the 60 to the union on the 80 housing.

Yeah, what Johnny said

I used all factory 93-97 FZJ80 brake hardware and parts, we take into consideration that new rims will have to be fitted for this conversion. I found that FJ Cruiser wheels had the right offset to sit nicely inside the fender of the 60 body.

Yeah I'd do that but I have 2000 miles on tires I just put on these rims :bang:

I'm not aware of other bolt-on calipers for the FZJ80 axle, but I know there are some 80 guys with FF rear axles that run 15" wheels. Some grinding and maybe a small spacer would allow it to work?

That reminds me of an interesting idea, you can use all JDM parts which I believe will fit 15" rims. Correct me if I'm wrong tough... The only problem there, is you won't find replacements when calipers are due.

That reminds me of an interesting idea, you can use all JDM parts which I believe will fit 15" rims. Correct me if I'm wrong tough... The only problem there, is you won't find replacements when calipers are due.

I've never heard of that! Are the pistons smaller or functionally different? Some P/Ns would be nice :D

Toy calipers can be honed and rebuilt if a seal or boot goes. That'd be the only servicing route.

D'Oh, then it might not be a good time to upgrade to a new rear axle :(

Believe me, this were my inner thoughts the whole time up until it landed on my shop floor.

Interesting idea, I'd like to keep it US for the case of spares.

I tried putting one of my rims on my buddy's 80, they obviously don't fit but it was close, only have to grind about 3/16" off from what I can tell.

I'll definitely pick up 16-17" rims for my offroad tires.

Anyone can share experience how to properly center and space leaf perches on the 80 axle housing. This will be my first conversion so looking for some expert advice.

measure from outside face of a landmark location on the end of the axle to same on opposing end of axle; ie, the backing plate flange face to the opposite backing plate flange face, or a wheel hub face etc, and then do the math and mark it out...mark center then transfer frame dimensions to housing, halving a landmark distance between shackles...if that makes sense.htth

Here you can see the wider stance, which is then offset by the FJ Cruiser wheels. The stance ended up being very balanced with the outer edge of the body.

I would definitely recommend this upgrade to anyone looking for better brakes or a full floating rear axle
Excuse my ignorance. please explain the difference between the 60 rear axel and the floating 80 rear. Txs. Looking to up grade my brakes, front and rear in my 60. Not sure which way to go.
I’ve read about 4Runner calipers, upgrading the master cylinder, but in doing this don’t i have to also go from 15” wheels to 16”?
Is there anything I can do and keep my 15’s”?
Thanks much.

Last edited:
Excuse my ignorance. please explain the difference between the 60 rear axel and the floating 80 rear. Txs. Looking to up grade my brakes, front and rear in my 60. Not sure which way to go.
I’ve read about 4Runner calipers, upgrading the master cylinder, but in doing this don’t i have to also go from 15” wheels to 16”?
Is there anything I can do and keep my 15’s”?
Thanks much.

You should search differences between semi-floating and full-floating axles, rather than have someone spoon feed you info. Numerous threads have dealt with this topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom