Front tube fender tie-ins (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I'm building up a set of Metaltech tube fenders. I've replaced the outer hoop with 1.5" .120 DOM, and am tying them in with the sliders at the rear of the fenders. I'd also like to tie them in at the front so the rig is tubed all the way around.

I'm wondering if I could do something like in the picture below. The purple line is supposed to run exactly on the outside of the front bib contour. My 40 is down to the chassis right now, so I can't see if my tires will rub or not. I currently have 35x12 MTRs but might go with 37s. I'm also planning on putting a 2" wheel spacer on each wheel. The front is SOA, so I expect the tire could get fairly close to the fender.

I tried mocking up a piece of cardboard cut to the size of a 37" tire, but I'm not sure how sharp you can turn the wheel on a 40. Does anyone know the maximum angle in degrees that you can turn the wheels on a 40, relative to the axle? Thanks.
Tube Fenders idea.JPG

Last edited:
I've never seen or heard of bib clearance being an issue in these situations, so as long as you are using plate stock to tie the tube fender and bib together, you should be good.

And there are these things called bump stops....;p

Best

Mark A.

Thanks Mark. I actually was wanting to tie in the front of the fender to the chassis using 1.5 DOM tubing. I just had wanted it to run along the bib for a cleaner look. This would make the bib 1.5" wider on each side. It should be ok with the 2" wheel spacers but it pays to check before you weld.

Thanks Mark. I actually was wanting to tie in the front of the fender to the chassis using 1.5 DOM tubing. I just had wanted it to run along the bib for a cleaner look. This would make the bib 1.5" wider on each side. It should be ok with the 2" wheel spacers but it pays to check before you weld.

Interesting. A front tie in would definitely strengthen things up, but I don't know about tubing right on the bib. What about running the tube just forward of the bib, with maybe just one tab on each side to reach back and secure it. At that point, you could make it like a hoop and tie both fenders together as well with a spreader just above the seam where the bib and hood meet. I've seen that design before.

BTW, there is a hardcore forum on here where a lot more tube fender guys hang out.;) I've just been talking about a pair for the last seven years, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.:doh:

Best

Mark A.

I've seen that design before as well, and like the idea, except I don't think I'd want to weld in the tube that would go in front of the bib. It would make it too had to get the drive train in and out. Maybe a bolt-in tube?

I posted to hardcore corner as well. My rig might be better suited there...not sure if I can move my build thread there or would have to start a new one.

Well, well, Marky is alive. Hello ghost.

IMO the best solution is to tie the sides together with a bar that runs just behind radiator, sneak it across right on top of the fan shroud. That combined with the frame attachment that comes with the fenders to replace stock fender mount should be strong and protect radiator as well.

I have found that the bib tie in piece tends to not allow enough flex/travel/body movement. The tube fenders seem to need to move more than the stock fender and inner that are all bolted to the bib & skirt & tub.

Incorporating an engine cage or a front radiator hoop/winch gaurd would give some more support and provide more options regarding tieing in the fender tubes.

Another option is to tie it into a front hoop like this. Mine are also braced to the frame in the middle and to the rocker panel. Very stout.

Another option is to tie it into a front hoop like this. Mine are also braced to the frame in the middle and to the rocker panel. Very stout.

I like the way that's set up. I guess I was thinking of doing the same thing, but only using the lower tubes that connect the fender to the chassis. Are the fenders bolted or welded to the front hoop? And is the front hoop bolted or welded to the chassis?

Curious what size tires you're running, too. I guess I'm full of questions today. :)

I tied mine to the front hoop as well, very solid. I am running SUA w/ 36's and I rub the bib right where your tube would be, I think it would be in the way with your setup too.

I tied my together in the center and it does allow for the front to pivot a little when bound up but mounted my batteries first so was second best option. Reinforced bib

ForumRunner_20130903_112427.jpg

ForumRunner_20130903_112458.jpg
ForumRunner_20130903_112427.jpg
ForumRunner_20130903_112458.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom