Front Axle Rebuild - For FAQ (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi everyone- hoping some of the SMEs who’ve done this job can review my kit below and let me know if I have everything in terms of gasket or need something. I won’t have much time when I start this to complete it and don’t want to waste time running back to the dealership and waiting for a part to be ordered which is 90% of the case when dealing with 80s. Thanks in advance View attachment 2515031
I know this is a petty suggestion, but the final icing on my bird job was installing the brand new dust caps available at the dealer for a few bucks. Good luck

Hi everyone- hoping some of the SMEs who’ve done this job can review my kit below and let me know if I have everything in terms of gasket or need something. I won’t have much time when I start this to complete it and don’t want to waste time running back to the dealership and waiting for a part to be ordered which is 90% of the case when dealing with 80s. Thanks in advance
I agree with new dust caps, add drive plates mine were in pretty bad shape.
and the obvious 12 cans of brake cleaner, at least a box of gloves, two boxes of shop towels and cardboard to put under it so you don't stain the driveway... (not that I know from experience or anything)

I was able to assemble and fire up my parts washer. As you can imagine, it’s pretty nasty and has caked on grease. How long can I leave the knuckle parts in the parts washer? Is overnight okay? I have almost all of the knuckle soaking

Thanks y’all

C38A8D56-3E55-444E-A902-54D6F52AB9E1.jpeg

B853F92E-B0B4-4523-AEFE-2F80FEF0444C.jpeg

I was able to assemble and fire up my parts washer. As you can imagine, it’s pretty nasty and has caked on grease. How long can I leave the knuckle parts in the parts washer? Is overnight okay? I have almost all of the knuckle soaking

Thanks y’all

View attachment 2521162

View attachment 2521163
You can leave them in there for a year or two.

Depending on what parts washer fluid you use, the pump on your new HF parts washer is good for about 2 weeks with the good fluid. I use the Crown PSC fluid in 5 Gal from Tractor Supply. I ended up buying a new $100 pump and installed it after about two weeks. It's hard to find a good pump that will last. My new pump has now lasted 6 years.

Also buy a parts washer brush and the heavy duty long rubber gloves made for chemical use.

Be careful if using Berryman's Chem-Dip Carb and Parts Cleaner; it contains
Oxalic acid which will remove the yellow chromate/zinc coating on any part
if left in too long. FWIW.

Hey y’all so quick question, I am on the other side of rebuilding my axle and I noticed the birfield having some gouges the previous owner left behind for me.

Seeing this, should I consider replacing? There is a swirl mark on the flat spot as well. It took 4 days of soaking and scrubbing to get all of the caked on grease and dirt off the knuckle. Going from pic 2 to finally pic 3

B8FAB9E6-0CEE-4502-9FCD-F3CB4D089DD7.jpeg

5C6F0B50-6493-4229-A763-308E215ADB83.jpeg

992C9765-2F14-4F9F-9184-07599764BB1B.jpeg

The outside of the Birfield doesn't matter. Where the seals ride on the inner and outer shaft are the most important, so you don't have leaks. Inside the Birfield where the bearings are is also important.

If it were me, I'd try to clean up the face of the knuckle, too. It really should be flat.

If it were me, I'd try to clean up the face of the knuckle, too. It really should be flat.
agree @Malleus , used a brass wire wheel and brake cleaner to remove the 2 decades of neglect. It took 4 days of soaking, which included draining and replacing the solution bath each day in the parts washer with a liberal scrub with the brass brush after soaking and rinsing.

This was day 5 where I was able to touch the bare metal without getting grease on my hands.

42DCC744-A31F-4F49-908B-C1A856C18548.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice work. My knuckles were in bad shape as well. Fortunately the outer axle seal was good so no diff fluid leaks, but the previous owner had someone service them years back and looks like they did a half-ass job. Knuckle was full of a mix of red grease, moly, and probably some whole milk. It took a couple days of cleaning (no parts washer). I got down to bare metal and sprayed the knuckles with some industrial enamel. The knuckle balls themselves were pitted so I wire wheeled them, JB welded them, sanded that smooth and then put a layer of enamel on them. A lot of work but worth it.

Lower trunnion bearings were a mess with rust. Good thing I got that cruiser outfitters rebuild kit 3 years ago and just got enough time/determination to tackle it all.

I think I had 4 of the wiper plate bolts snap. That was after penetrating oil soak for a day and a little heat followed by tighten, then loosen, tighten a little, then loose. The bolts broke like cheese. I had to left hand drill bit them out and clean out the threads with a new tap. I bungled one of them (top bolt on one side) so the replacement bolt is not fully tightened but is applying enough pressure to hold in conjunction with the other 5 that are snug. Rust is the devil.

One thing I did was use naval jelly on the studs and all hardware. I then made sure the mounting surfaces were clean of any rust and flat. 1000 miles later, all good still.

IMG_2192.jpg

IMG_2198.jpg

IMG_2195.jpg

IMG_2201.jpg

image0.png

Does anyone know why there is an orange film inside the axle when your doing a rebuild ? Was this some protection coating ? It was a bright orange but I sprayed it with brake cleaner and most of it came off. @cruiserdan ?
6C4DDED5-FB1B-46AB-BC88-A3D019FBDF71.jpeg

Looks like rust to me.

Kinda looks like orange FIPG. Maybe they put some around the axle seal when they installed it last?
Agree I have to do the other side. I’ll certainly take photos as it was a VERY even coating, def not rust. It’s almost like a protective coating. my truck only has 151k miles, no service ever done other than oil changes. Original brakes etc

This is one of the best threads I have seen so far on IH8. @cruiserdan if you were still selling the kit, it would make our lives so much easier but I understand that it is time to rest.

Question, I'm curoius to know if the Redline CV joint grease would work on the birfield + bearings packing task instead of the lithium base grease, even though the lithium stuff is the oem recommended. Is that a bad idea? Also, what is Mr. T reccomended lubricants aka grease types recommended for the parts that receive grease on this job?

Last edited:
I am not a petroleum engineer or chemist. Use what the FSM states.
The fsm is almost 25+ years old. Lubricant companies have developed new compounds since then and it seems that the CV2 grease would work perfectly on the birfield as they are also a metal joint. My question is more related to the lithium compound that the fsm states.

Companies like Mobil have developed new non-soap based lubricant that uses new substances instead of lithium.

I'm curious to see if someone has found other lubricants that have endured some beating. I'm still thinking about using the CV2 grease and red wheel bearing grease on the bearings.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom