Front Axle Damper Bracket ripped off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good morning

Today I found the bracket for the damper ripped off. No idea why, I just did the groceries:)

Two questions:

1: you guys think it’s necessary to remove the axle to get it welded? It’s necessary to warm the whole axle to weld it?

2: would it make sense to weld in another little bracket or cornerplate to support the main bracket or will this weaken the axle at the additional welding point?

Ever happenes to someone else?

Thanks

Michael

IMG_4070.jpeg

IMG_4069.jpeg

I have never seen that before. I'd want the advice of a good welder person. +1 for add some gussets to both sides so it doesn't happen again.

I flux core welded half the shock mount on the rear axle of my F150 that was broke - added a gusset. Still there after like 10 years now.

I've had this happen on another vehicle once. Welded it with axles still on vehicle; cause was wrong length of shocks for my application.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot.

I just was at a welder shop which already did some weldings for my old Jipe.
He was surprised but said, he can do that tomorrow morning. I just need to bring a jack, remove the wheel and disconnect the battery.

I asked him about the additional cornerplate and he said, he can do that as well, but then he needs/ wants to warm the axle. In that case I would need to remove it and dismantle it completely.
So I go with the first option and if that happens again, then I remove the axle and design complete new brackets.

The bracket seemed to be predamaged fo a long time.

IMG_4072.jpeg

Last edited:
Shock too long, bottom out is on shock not bump stop, spacers under bump stop or shorter shock.

All original, so it should fit. But I'll have a look, If I can lift one side until the axle touches the bumper and then check the shock-absorber.

There was a long time crack in the mount which stress probably broke. I would investigate the length of the shocks. It should weld on fine without stripping the axle but be sure they cut a good root grove to reattached and not just scab it on with a zap here and a zap there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom