Frankenstein Rig Question FJ60/HJ60/HJ61 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Say you own 3 trucks:

85 FJ60 with H55F mated to a 2F
88HJ60 (super clean body) with Hydraulic A440 mated to 2H
89HJ61 with Hydraulic A440 mated to 12HT

Are all these Transmissions/ engines interchangeable without different bellhousings or any major parts or mount fabrications??

would like to end up with the clean HJ60-H55F-12HT engine.

Thanks!

I believe the h55 that mates to a diesel has a different input shaft. But I don’t know all the intricate details.

That ^
The input shaft of the H55F needs to match the spline profile of the clutch disc you’re going to use.

Apparently it’s a length difference in the 4 cyl vs 6.

the input shaft for the H55f from the 2F should fit in the 12HT

Same input shaft. So these two go together fine. Lower engine mount for 12HT required, possibly need 12HT manual trans cross member
12HT goes in a bit crooked, so get ready for that
From some of the build videos I've watched they say the 12ht drops right into a 2h bay... sits lower than a 2f brackets.. is that correct to your knowledge?

12ht and interchange. The input shaft is the same but you will need flywheel and a 2h/12ht bellhousing.
I've heard you may also be able to use a combo of 45 series mount to fit a 2h/12ht into a fj60 I have never tried that though.

12ht and interchange. The input shaft is the same but you will need flywheel and a 2h/12ht bellhousing.
I've heard you may also be able to use a combo of 45 series mount to fit a 2h/12ht into a fj60 I have never tried that though.
So the swap is straightforward and complete if you have three complete trucks? an FJ60, HJ60, HJ61? or is the flywheel/bellhousing for the A440 different than the H55F

Since you're frankensteining… are you also converting the RHD HJ to LHD?

Flywheel and bellhousing are different for the A440. The 2F spec H55 is the same as the 2H and 12HT spec H55. The 3B spec H55 has a longer and finer spline input shaft.

The 2H motor mounts on the frame are very different than the 2F motor mounts. The 2H (and 12HT I believe) both sit kinda angled in the engine bay. Fitting a 2H or 12HT into a FJ60 chassis is as easy as cutting off the frame side engine mounts, bolting the H55 +bellhousing to the 2H/12HT, then locating the whole drivetrain by the transmission mount, resting on the cut off frame mounts that are bolted to the motor mounts (from the donor diesel truck). Tack weld the frame mounts, take the drivetrain back out, finish weld the frame mounts, slap it back in for good.

Thread from last time I did this:

Last edited:
Flywheel and bellhousing are different for the A440. The 2F spec H55 is the same as the 2H and 12HT spec H55. The 3B spec H55 has a longer and finer spline input shaft.

The 2H motor mounts on the frame are very different than the 2F motor mounts. The 2H (and 12HT I believe) both sit kinda angled in the engine bay. Fitting a 2H or 12HT into a FJ60 chassis is as easy as cutting off the frame side engine mounts, bolting the H55 +bellhousing to the 2H/12HT, then locating the whole drivetrain by the transmission mount, resting on the cut off frame mounts that are bolted to the motor mounts. Tack weld the frame mounts, take the drivetrain back out, finish weld the frame mounts, slap it back in for good.

Thread from last time I did this:

Ok, I think I've narrowed this down, will the bellhousing the H55F has hooked up to the FJ work with a 12HT? So I just move the bell housings with all the trannys and they bolt up?

Ok, I think I've narrowed this down, will the bellhousing the H55F has hooked up to the FJ work with a 12HT? So I just move the bell housings with all the trannys and they bolt up?
the only motor swaps on this build are between the 2H and the 12HT, only the H55 is getting taken off a FJ60.

the only motor swaps on this build are between the 2H and the 12HT, only the H55 is getting taken off a FJ60.
You need a 12HT flywheel and bellhousing. If I understand this correctly your two diesels are autos. A 2F bellhousing will not worked with a 12HT. Let me know if you need a bellhousing. I do not have a spare flywheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom