2H Into Late FJ60 - Drivetrain Alignment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GLTHFJ60

Rum Runnin'
SILVER Star
Threads
Good evening! I don't frequent this section of the forum, although I should start to. Tons of good info here. I have a FJ60 with a 4BT and dodge/chevy drivetrain, but this thread isn't about my truck, it's about friend's truck (@ontherxs ), which we're in the middle of doing a 2H/H55 conversion on.

We are using the factory late FJ60 crossmember, with the factory transmission mount, on the H55, and have the factory motor mounts (frame and motor side) from the donor HJ60. When the PS frame-side motor mount lip is on top of the frame (as it should be) and the DS mount in the middle of the frame, since it just sits on the inner face of the frame rail, the motor is not parallel with the centerline of the truck and can't figure out why.

I know that the FJ60 transmission crossmember is set up to accomodate the factory tilt that the 3F bellhousing puts on the motor, but I would only expect that to effect the tilt of the motor in the frame, not whether or not it was parallel. I believe that the smaller frame-side motor mount goes on the DS, not the PS, so if I have them swapped, then that would cause this problem. If someone could confirm which side the frame-side motor mounts went on, that would be awesome.

Assuming the frame-side motor mounts are in the correct orientation, what would cause the motor to not be parallel with the centerline of the truck? While I don't think that this problem would cause a bunch of other issues, I'd still prefer for it to be centered. I could cut 1/2" off of the PS mount and add 1/2" to the DS mount, which would likely resolve the issue, but I'd like to explore other problems before that.

Here are some pictures illustrating the problem. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

The lucky owner:

IMAG1699.jpg

IMAG1700.jpg

IMAG1701.jpg

You can see that the transmission output shaft is not pointed down the centerline, but more towards the offset differential.

IMAG1704.jpg

PS (left) mount:

IMAG1705.jpg

DS (right) mount:

IMAG1706.jpg

IMAG1707.jpg

IMAG1708.jpg

IMAG1709-MOTION.gif

2h engines dont run along the centreline if thats what your asking, standing at the front of the truck looking at the engine angles slightly off to your Right, thats how toyota made em.....

Really. I did not expect that answer. I figured they might be off-center, but still in line with the centerline of the vehicle,. I guess not.

Are the FJ60 and HJ60 crossmembers the same?

Well s***, that looks exactly like ours, and you're on the other side of the world! Guess it's supposed to be like that.

Was yours a retrofit or was it like that from the factory?

its factory, and every other one including 12HT appears to be the same. Its a bit of an engineering F'up imo, as output shaft/pinion angles should be the same at static height i.e if your pinion is 3deg up on a diff the trans should be 3deg down to cancel each other out, so having an engine with a 3deg angle off centre line would have to cause some vibration...bit weird but there ya go.

The centre of the engine block is rarely the centroid of the engine. You have to take into account the weight of other things hanging off one side of the engine such as the fuel injection pump

A 2H and 12ht do not sit level and are tilted to the right (if standing in front) as the picture below show.

IMG_2668_zpsccc7d9de.jpg

The bell housing on a 60 & 75 series twists the gearbox the opposite way.

IMG_1619a.jpg

To a certain degree they cancel each other out, you use a HJ47 2H bell housing that does not have this twist but then it follows the line of the engine twist.

The next photo shows the engine not siting evenly in the chassis, this occurs in a 40 series chassis as well as a 60 series chassis. I have over stated this with the yellow line in this chassis but it's there. You can loosen the engine mounts and gearbox mount plus the bracket bolts move the gearbox over to the left to centre gearbox engine combination as there is a little bit of play, tighten gearbox mount & brackets, then engine mounts.

IMG_1619b.jpg

I have managed to get mine pretty straight.

IMG_1772.jpg

IMG_1748.jpg

Last edited:
I Intend putting a similar engine (12HT) into an FJ62. My plan is/was to mark on the chassis and body, the exact centre point of the crank shaft of the existing F engine. I would then then bolt the 12HT with H55F bell housing up to the gear box and then align he engine so that the crank centre is in the same place as the old engine and then weld up the mounts.
Shoot me down. Will I be playing bumpibidy bump with the diff and oil pan??
I noticed that the JF 62 gear box is also off set (Twisted) but word is that this does not worry the H or 12Ht too much and may even help with fan/ shroud alignment.
Please chime in all of you FJ 60 /62 to H2 /12HT convertors.
G

If you welding new chassis mount brackets be careful you don't lower the engine down into the chassis otherwise the sump can get damaged by hitting axle.

Although this 12ht is low in the chassis (first photo) with a 2" lift is ok, but I would be a little worried on tired springs, second photo show correct engine height.

12htswap013.jpg

IMG_3095-600.jpg

Last edited:
I definitely recommend using factory frame-side motor mounts for the 2H or 12H-T if you can get them. The left frame rail mount has one elevation it can work at and the right frame rail mount needs to be right in the middle of the frame rail. Doesn't get easier than that.

not sure on FJ vs HJ, but this is a pic of mine when i put the motor in
Its really weird they did it like this, but it must have been for clearance, once you notice it for the first time it never looks right lol

GarethsSixty, I noticed your running your alternator belt off the air-con part of the harmonic balancer (middle pulley section), instead of the larger rear pulley/

I definitely recommend using factory frame-side motor mounts for the 2H or 12H-T if you can get them. The left frame rail mount has one elevation it can work at and the right frame rail mount needs to be right in the middle of the frame rail. Doesn't get easier than that.

Your build is coming along nicely:cheers:

No, the alternator belt is nearest to the block, then the air conditioner is in the middle, and the PS pump on the outside:

IMAG1696.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom