FJ80 P/S Box Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

74HogGuy

Lifetime Rookie
Threads
I'm looking to install a FJ80 power steering box into my 40 and coming up short on which Borgeson u-joint I need to connect from the box to the collapsible shaft. I found this below for 60 series boxes and was wondering if anyone knew if they are the same spline size.

"The input shaft on a 60 steering box is 17.5mm x 36 splines. Borgeson doesn't offer offer u-joints in this size, but a 11/16 - 36 u-joint (.001 smaller) which is a stock item from them will fit without problem. "

Thanks!

IPOR in VA has a kit for FJ60 box into a 40, call them they will know the answer. Then message me because I also have an 80
box going into my 40

IPOR in VA has a kit for FJ60 box into a 40, call them they will know the answer. Then message me because I also have an 80
box going into my 40

Lol! I called them yesterday to order the frame bracket, HD tie/relay rods, and flat pitman arm. I’ll call them back Tuesday when they are open (closed today).

should be same same.. Food for thought. Most 60's 80's and most other toyota's in the junkyard have a slip shaft going to their box that will work. I scavenge 60 series shafts to do this conversion. I did however use the info you listed above to get a D D one to go on the steering column portion. And if you want to save even more money by scavenging the 60 parts (or other toyota parts) I believe this portion came out of the tilt of a 60 steering column. Wish i had thought of this Tucker and Roma's 75 FJ40 Restore instead of paying for a custom joint like you reference, Tornado takes the top off 1964 SWB FJ-45 and Tornado takes the top off 1964 SWB FJ-45

and other food for thought which i wish i had known.. Dave at 4plus sells this setup to make your own steering. I need to order a set to have in the garage.
4plus inserts.jpg

I talked to Dave awhile back about these and you just buy 1 1/4" DOM and cut to length. These slide in and weld.
Good to know. I'll keep them in mind.

I am sure you have done your research, if you are using an 80 series box, the pitman arm is slightly curved, any IFS toyota or aftermarket / stock arm for a 60/70/80 will fit. if you order the weld inserts from Dave, the stock 60 relay rod is 21mm and most x-over steering use all 80 ends thus are 23mm. So you might need two FJ60 ends at the pass side knuckle and 2 80 ends, one for the drivers knuckle and one for the pitman arm. So only One 21mm insert and 3 23mm inserts. If you are using all FJ60 stuff then 2 21mm inserts and 2 23mm inserts. Given you are spring under, if you are spring over and using hysteer arms then most use fj80 stuff and utilize 2 stock FJ80 ends on the pass side in different holes.
examples Crossover Pitman Arm | Marlin Crawler, Inc. (Aftermarket 80 style pitman arm)
To get a "female" hole in a stock FJ60 pitman arm and not utilize the ball in socket end you need an insert, example Tapered Pitman Arm Insert | Marlin Crawler, Inc. That will get you to basically the same thing as the 80 pitman arm and allow you to use the 23mm Fj80 end at the pitman instead of the 60 end which is 21mm.
It gets confusing just make sure you order the correct stuff based on the ends you intend to run. I have all 60 tie rod ends as i am spring under.

@tornadoalleycruiser - thanks for the info! I spoke to the guys at IPOR at length and the plan is to run all 60 TRE stuff except at the pitman arm. Mainly because I did the 60 knuckle swap and I have new 555 TREs. If I trusted my welding skills I’d probably go the 4-plus route.

The guys at IPOR are going to tap the tie rods to accommodate 60. And then 60 at one end of the relay rod and 80 on the other. They also gave me a heads up on needing to run a straight 80 series arm that they offered. Hopefully this will keep everything pretty clean.

I'm looking to install a FJ80 power steering box into my 40 and coming up short on which Borgeson u-joint I need to connect from the box to the collapsible shaft. I found this below for 60 series boxes and was wondering if anyone knew if they are the same spline size.

"The input shaft on a 60 steering box is 17.5mm x 36 splines. Borgeson doesn't offer offer u-joints in this size, but a 11/16 - 36 u-joint (.001 smaller) which is a stock item from them will fit without problem. "

Thanks!

I don't know if you have acces to it, but on my 80 box I used the stock intermediate shaft(?). Then I cut the stock column near the firewall, on the engine side. I used a borgenson joint that matched the intermediate spline count and cut a DD on the stock column. Pretty easy and you get the collapsible portion as well. Joint seamed a bit pricey at ~$75, but it was the only "slim" ujoint I found.

I wish I had known about Dave's set up, probably would have saved me some dough. I got the Front Range custom links and tie rods from Cruiser Oufitters. Front Range delivered exactly as I ordered(unfortunately I screwed up the order), but shipping was pretty slow. The second round on these seems to be shipping a lot faster. Cruiser Outfitters is great to deal with and stocks the 555 ends everyone loves.

Following up on this thread for future reference (@447xpro ).

Spoke with the guys at IPOR and they do indeed use the 11/16 36-spline Borgeson joint to fit the 80 steering box.
IMG_1807.JPG

Also picked up the collapsible Borgeson shaft and a heavy duty tie rod and relay rod. The tie rod is set up for 60 TREs on each end and the relay rod (drag link) it set up for a 60 TRE on one end and 80 TRE on the other.
IMG_1806.JPG

As soon as the frame bracket gets in and the 80 TRE I'll post the mock up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom