Builds Tucker and Roma's 75 FJ40 Restore (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e7.JPG
e8.JPG
e9.JPG

e10.JPG

We got a new clutch slave cylinder and boot from toyota

b1.JPG
b2.JPG
b3.JPG
b4.JPG

To get some additional clearance between the fan and the shroud we got a new fan in the 2h/12ht variety that is about 1/2'' smaller diameter than the hz fan and still fits the original fan clutch

b5.JPG

we got the good stuff to put into the new transmission and transfer case
c1.JPG

Enough hz oil filters for the first 30-40k miles :)
c2.JPG

New toyota parking brake cable and hardware for an 83 model fj40
c3.JPG

Tub made it back from paint and we took it to line X for their treatment on the bottom side in black. Again we put heat shrink on all of the metal bands to hold the wire harness.
c4.JPG
c5.JPG

c6.JPG

Here is where we had a major problem. We attempted to put the tub onto the frame and the back of the cylinder head would not let the tub sit far enough forward on the frame. We made the mounts with the tub off the frame and i didnt realize how close it would actually be to the firewall. It was extremely frustrating to say the least. We decided to chop roughly an inch off the top of each mount and weld the top off it back on. After spending so much time on the shroud which i didnt take the final photos of it turned into a total waste of time. The drive shafts which were ordered with the engine tilted up a good bit in the front would now also be off and probably will need to besent back to tom woods.

Here is a picture of the mounts after the alteration. With the front of the engine back down relatively level we had plenty of room between the firewall but the fan would now pose another issue in itself.

c7.JPG
c8.JPG
c9.JPG
c10.JPG

After modifying the mounts we got the tub bolted in place with the energy suspension body mounts from the old rig. Now it was time to take a look at the transmission tunnel. We assumed this would be relatively simple since we were using the 40 series factory top cover on the 5 speed.

1a.JPG

The transmission shifter hole kinda lines up but the entire trans tunnel is sitting on the top plate. The transfer shifter is not even close.
2a.JPG

I started by modifying the transfer shifter hole. First I needed to weld up pretty much the entire existing hole.
3a.JPG
4a.JPG
5a.JPG

Last edited:
We decided to use 60 series shifter boots on both shifters so, once I was happy with the placement, I drilled the holes and welded captive nuts for ease of installation and removal.
6a.JPG
7a.JPG
8a.JPG

After I realized how much material actually needed to be removed above the transmission shifter I decided it might just be a good idea to use this spare fj62 cover I had laying around. It is raised on the back side, exactly what I need the 40 cover to do.

9a.JPG
10a.JPG

Last edited:
1b.JPG

In these pictures you can see how i had to cut the trans tunnel cover further and further back to get the cover to the trans. All the 40s with the factory h55 didnt have this issue since 79 and up rigs dont have a removable tunnel cover like this but more off an access panel. 83 and 84 model 40s had a slightly different access cover than the even the 79-82. perhaps all that to accommodate the 5 speed.

2b.JPG
3b.JPG
4b.JPG
5b.JPG

captive nuts welded in place for the shifter boots as well
11b.JPG
12b.JPG
13b.JPG
14b.JPG

After i welded it and cleaned it up we used a body seam sealer on the bottom side between the two edges and also sealed the welds on the top side to give the whole piece a uniform finish
15b.JPG

here is the tub back from line X
d1.JPG
d2.JPG
d3.JPG

The fuel door is positioned up higher so there is no problem with fuel slosh. the interior tank is eliminated and a 23 gallon rear mounted tank will be used. With the fuel sipping hz and 5 speed we are hoping it should have a 420 or so mile range
d4.JPG
d6.JPG

Last edited:
On to the brakes. The late model rear axle with the single wheel cylinder on each side and self adjusting drums is a big upgrade over the original 75 fj40 brakes.

We got a new brake booster from city racer
a1.JPG

to that attached a large bore advics master cylinder from a non abs fj80
a2.JPG
a3.JPG
a4.JPG

We also got an adjustable prop valve for the rear circuit so the pressure can be dialed down. I made a nice aluminum bracket to hold it and made some custom brake lines to finish it off. The prop valve came from city racer as well.

a5.JPG

for the clutch we reused the almost new aisin clutch master and attached it to the slave with a stainless teflon coated line i got from jt outfitters. i used the same one on my diesel conversion. The original 2f has the slave on the passenger side and uses a hard metal line that goes across the firewall. With the diesel the slave is much closer so this makes for a cleaner installation
a11.JPG
a12.JPG

connecting the 60 power steering box to the 40 column.
the factory 40 flange that mounts to the rag joint is cut off leaving as much of the original shaft as possible. We got a flanged bearing from cruiser outfit that fits the steering column tube on the lower portion of the column. This bearing is awesome! If fits in the column with a few gentle taps and the innder diameter is the perfect size for the 40 column shaft.
f1.JPG

Here is the 40 shaft removed. It is easier to install the bearing with the shaft removed.
f2.JPG

Here is the shaft back in the column tube and ready for the first test fit
f3.JPG

The cup on the steering column tube that bolts to the firewall completely conceals the lower column bearing and also assures that it can never fall out.
f4.JPG

This is the upper portion of the 60 column that will be mated to the 40 column
f5.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom