FJ62 Thermostat Refresh (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ChaserFJ60

Owner of CruiserHead.com
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
cruiserhead.com
I was having an issue with my thermostat reading temps of 140F to 160F, never reaching the operating water temp of 180F. A cool engine sounds cool but its really not, Oil only cleans when its at operating temp and the engine is optimized to run at 180F.

I already had drained some coolant when I was repairing my rear passenger floor heater after the valve started leaking. I always keep the rear heater on full heat and just keep the fan switch off. As long as there's no air pushing through the heater core there is minimal heat transfer and I dont even notice it in the summer time. I threw out the old valve and just replaced it with a right angle copper pipe that I soldered to the brass heater core tube. The difference in coefficients of thermal expansion between copper and brass is pretty close so im hoping its okay and will last. So far after a 15min drive its okay.

When removing the thermostat housing to replace the thermostat I broke off one of the bolts and ruined the lower housing trying to extract the bolt. After talking with @ToyotaMatt over at vintageteqparts.com we both determined that a new lower thermostat housing would be best after my damages and the original sensors were all falling apart so I went ahead and got all new sensors.

After seeing how clean a new lower thermostat housing was I went ahead and attempted to clean my upper housing and repair some of the pitting with JB weld. I designed and 3D printed purpose sized scrapers to evenly distribute the JB weld on the needed areas which made for an almost no post cleanup on the radiator neck and the thermostat rubber seal face.
20211222_152516.jpg
20211222_152525.jpg
20211223_142634.jpg

Here we can see a before and after of the repairing I did with JB weld, I forgot to take a picture of the inside but it had a better finish after using my 3D printed scraper. Its not perfect but its alot better than before.

Before installing the new sensors I had to clean the threads out and resurface the mating face of the Cold start timer switch. This is really important as the brass gasket needs a clean and FLAT surface to contact with. I used sandpaper attached to a flat piece of metal to ensure I had a flat consistent new surface when sanding. Again I forgot to take before and after pics but I did take a mid-process picture.
20211222_152520.jpg

Last edited:
One of the most important things about doing a thermostat replacement is the thermostat seal. If you're like me and use an aftermarket thermostat you might notice that the top face isn't a continuous surface, rather it has ridges, For this reason my aftermarket thermostat came with a wider gasket than the OEM one. If this gasket is not perfectly centered on installation you risk coolant bypassing the gasket which is not ideal. To remedy this I placed very small dots of silicone on to parts of the gasket to keep it held in the center of the thermostat for installation. You dont want to glue the gasket down, just keep it centered.
20211223_122916.jpg
20211223_123052.jpg

@ToyotaMatt sensors come with all new plugs and related hardware, Luckily I had a JST crimper on hand so I could make some Klean kirmps. Its REALLY IMPORTANT you put the rubber seals on before you crimp when applicable. Some of the plugs had larger inserts than my JST crimps were made for but I still made it work.
20211222_164846.jpg
20211222_171713.jpg

I found this out the long way, If your new inserts dont easily slide into the plug housing then make sure this yellow cylinder is pulled out, Its a locking mechanism of the sorts.

20211222_171708.jpg

Remember antisieze on the housing bolts! Top half with 4 bolts is 13ft-lbs, Bottom housing with two bolts is 18ft-lbs.

I'm pretty sure my truck was getting bad readings from the old original sensors especially the cold start ones, My truck starts alot easier when its cold than before I did this work.

All these parts can be found at vintageteqparts.com or hit up @ToyotaMatt. He really outdid himself with all new Toyota hardware, Heck, even the BSVS valve's vacuum hose came in a Toyota parts bag.

Last edited:
Well done! I'm tempted to get a new set of sensors and refresh my housing with new thermostat and gaskets when I overhaul my cooling system next summer. New hoses, clamps and a water pump after a @NLXTACY flush are in order as well.

Want to add an update. The only non OEM part on my refresh has failed me, after driving some my temps are reading low again back in the 140F range. I was on the highway running at a nice toasty 180F when my temps just suddenly dropped. I think the top rubber ring on my aftermarket thermostat slipped off letting coolant bypass the thermostat. The aftermarket motorad thermostat is said to be about 1mm shorter than OEM and the aftermarket rubber gasket is thinner than OEM. I'm going to replace it with a correct OEM thermostat and hope that fixes the issue. OEM or bust. :bang:

@ChaserFJ60 Welp, since I'm replacing the thermostat as part of my head swap coming up, you just got me off the fence about OEM vs aftermarket t-stat. Thanks!

You can get an Aisin thermostat for less than oem and it’s the same part.

I used an oem thermostat and gasket set on the 62. Zero issues and the coolant is disgusting. Lots of fluid changes in my future.

B495D92D-2D0A-41EC-928E-C509A1B27521.jpeg

I was right... Unfortunately.
Aftermarket motorad gasket blew in. Letting coolant bypass the thermostat.
20220117_144101.jpg

Here we can see a comparison of the Motorad thermostat VS the Aisin Thermostat with the rubber gasket in the top housing.... picture on the right is the Aisin. Alot more compression happening in that rubber gasket than the motorad when assembled.
20220117_150504.jpg
20220117_150521.jpg

Im wondering also if plugging these bypass ports mayyy have something to do with the gasket blowing in... Mind you I have a 2FE. not a 2F, not a 3FE. I have the head and thermostat housing of a 3FE and the block and water pump of a 2F. Meaning There's nowhere to plumb these ports unless I get a really long cooling hose. My engine stays at a steady ~180F now. But if i connect these two blocked off ports Im afraid i'll just be bypassing the thermostat again.

Left pic is thermostat, Right pic is lower radiator pipe
20220117_160721.jpg
20220117_161642.jpg

All thermostat housings on all engines have a bypass plumbing circuit.
When the engine is cold, the thermostat is closed and won’t let coolant enter the radiator. The coolant (when cold) gets sucked through the bypass pipe directly into the water pump to be circulated around the engine again and again until it gets hot enough to open the thermostat.

Once the thermostat starts opening, it’s also concurrently closing off the bypass circuit, until eventually the thermostat is open and the bypass circuit is closed.

At all times, cold or hot, the coolant is circulating around the engine. It’s never stalled.

All thermostat housings on all engines have a bypass plumbing circuit.
When the engine is cold, the thermostat is closed and won’t let coolant enter the radiator. The coolant (when cold) gets sucked through the bypass pipe directly into the water pump to be circulated around the engine again and again until it gets hot enough to open the thermostat.

Once the thermostat starts opening, it’s also concurrently closing off the bypass circuit, until eventually the thermostat is open and the bypass circuit is closed.

At all times, cold or hot, the coolant is circulating around the engine. It’s never stalled.
Yep. After alot of digging in the 2FE threads I found where to put the hose. Woops :grinpimp:

Yep. After alot of digging in the 2FE threads I found where to put the hose. Woops :grinpimp:

i have TONS and TONS literally of odd ball NOS oem TOYOTA Genuine Parts small bypass type hoses CHASE , hit me up mud PM

ill express mail out overnight one for u once we determine size specs and pre-FORMED bends and shapes status ?

asap , no cost involved brother :popcorn:

s-l1600 (20).jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom