FJ62 drivers/passenger seatbelt replacement options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently ordered a replacement passenger seatbelt kit from seatbelt planet due to my OEM belt failing at the floor mount.
When the kit arrived I found that the mounting bracket for the canister will not fit without doing some fabrication/cutting.

What’s the best option for replacing the driver and passenger seat belt assembly? Can I send my OEM belt to a shop to have them refurbish it?

safetyrestore.com - not sure of your color, but they don't have dark brown (last I checked). You can request a 'custom color', so maybe that will work. The did a nice job on my FJ40 belt.

seatbeltplanet.com

I’ll check out safety restore. Thanks!
The seatbelt planet belts work just fine and they have a ton of colors to choose from. All you have to do is cut off that little hook-shaped tab on the bracket. Takes about 30 seconds. You may be able to remove the seatbelt planet bracket and use the original one in its place. I can't remember. I converted all my belts to brown seatbelt planet belts three or four years ago with very little drama. I have been completely happy with them.

Belt info is in my build thread about 3 or 4 pages in: The Rushing Turdle

Seatbelt planet can also re-web your original belts too, if you prefer.

Last edited:
The seatbelt planet belts work just fine and they have a ton of colors to choose from. All you have to do is cut off that little hook-shaped tab on the bracket. Takes about 30 seconds. You may be able to remove the seatbelt planet bracket and use the original one in its place. I can't remember. I converted all my belts to brown seatbelt planet belts three or four years ago with very little drama. I have been completely happy with them.

Belt info is in my build thread about 3 or 4 pages in: The Rushing Turdle

Seatbelt planet can also re-web your original belts too, if you prefer.
Hey I like how you were able to do rear shoulder belts while using the non shoulder belt factory trim. My 62 also has the captive nuts on the C pillars. Do you remember what part number you ordered for the rear kit? I'm having a hell of a time figuring out how to go about duplicating the factory shoulder belt trim to put Toyota shoulder belts in my 62, so the Seatbelt Planet kit looks like a good option.

Last edited:
As I said, belt info is in my build thread about 3 or 4 pages in: The Rushing Turdle

Here's the nugget you are looking for on page 4:

I have had several inquiries regarding the seat belts I purchased and where I got them. I bought my belts from Seatbelt Planet. Part numbers are as follows and each part number is one pair of belts (2 seats worth):

Front belts - 5031235 FJ60&62 1983-90 Land Cru Dr/Pass/Dk Brown

Rear belts - 5031335 FJ60&62 1983-90 Land Cru Rear Dr/Pass /Hdw Dk Brown.

As I said, belt info is in my build thread about 3 or 4 pages in: The Rushing Turdle

Here's the nugget you are looking for on page 4:

I have had several inquiries regarding the seat belts I purchased and where I got them. I bought my belts from Seatbelt Planet. Part numbers are as follows and each part number is one pair of belts (2 seats worth):

Front belts - 5031235 FJ60&62 1983-90 Land Cru Dr/Pass/Dk Brown

Rear belts - 5031335 FJ60&62 1983-90 Land Cru Rear Dr/Pass /Hdw Dk Brown.
Damn, looks like the part number for the rear belts is NLA.

Damn, looks like the part number for the rear belts is NLA.
Call them. They can fix you up. I was one of the first to try this and it was four years ago. The part number may have changed.

Call them. They can fix you up. I was one of the first to try this and it was four years ago. The part number may have changed.
Worth a shot. I didn't see it listed in their 60 series section either but I'll give em a ring and see what they say. Frankly given the choice I'd rather stick with the non shoulder belt trim panels. Just seems like a cleaner look to me.

Worth a shot. I didn't see it listed in their 60 series section either but I'll give em a ring and see what they say. Frankly given the choice I'd rather stick with the non shoulder belt trim panels. Just seems like a cleaner look to me.

FWIW, I just put the seatbeltplanet non-retractable rear shoulder belts in my '85 FJ60. I had the captive nuts and they were threaded, luckily. Other than a little cut to the headliner to access the nut, there is no modification needed.

They work fine with booster seats though they are not as seamless to use as retractable belts, of course. You just have to make sure your kid is physically cinching it up each time they get in, or do it for them. This would get annoying if it was a DD but in my case it's not.

I got two of these:

1985-1990 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ60, Rear Driver or Passenger Seat Belt
Item# 50359-V01

image.jpg
Ok, I got a picture of the difference between the seatbelt planet canister and the OEM one. You can see the sharp angle on the new one and that’s what’s keeping it from mounting. Could they refurbish the OEM one?

take off the last 2 digits in your search. they must be for color, but search doesn't pull them.
WELL HEY! There it is! Under $300, too. I like that. Way better than spending $450 for the entire belt and trim set from Cruiserparts.net, especially since I already had factory belts and only wanted trim. An actual new set that looks factory will be a much better avenue I think.

Late 70 series seatbelts have been retrofitted into our trucks and can be had new from Toyota.

View attachment 2091753Ok, I got a picture of the difference between the seatbelt planet canister and the OEM one. You can see the sharp angle on the new one and that’s what’s keeping it from mounting. Could they refurbish the OEM one?
was there ever a solution for this issue? i have an FJ62 manufactured in 1988 for the 89 model year and indeed what i have installed is the one below.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom