FJ60 axle swap without outboarding springs (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'd like to ditch wheel spacers in the front on my FJ40 and I need to replace my front axle housing anyway (trashed inner seal surface from too many broken birfs)
I'd rather not outboard the front springs, has anyone done this by notching the passenger side leaf spring into the axle housing?

I'd like to ditch wheel spacers in the front on my FJ40 and I need to replace my front axle housing anyway (trashed inner seal surface from too many broken birfs)
I'd rather not outboard the front springs, has anyone done this by notching the passenger side leaf spring into the axle housing?
How about switching to IFS spindles, hubs, and calipers and keeping an FJ40 axle housing? I think you gain 1.5” per side this way.

Redline sells a complete kit.

The 60 housing mod has been done , search crawlin cruiser on pirate4x4, but that was 20 years ago. a quick google search og 60 axles ina fj40 brings up the links to the old threads.

How about switching to IFS spindles, hubs, and calipers and keeping an FJ40 axle housing? I think you gain 1.5” per side this way.

Correct. 3” total WMS gain to 58”. The FJ60 is 58.5” WMS. I did the IFS route 20+ years ago (no kit) and I’d recommend it, especially if you have the FJ40 axles already.

@RustyNailJustin did this on one of his builds. Baja 45 IIRC.

Last edited:
You Do Not need to change the spindle or the lock out hubs to run IFS hubs.

Last edited:
I run 40 inch tires with IFS hubs and have ZERO problems with my trunion bearings .

Ruff stuff sells a kit with perches designed to install a fj60 axle without moving the springs.
Just ordered! Hopefully this is the ticket.

I'd forgotten about the IFS hub option, but this solves only part of the problem as I am trying to get the tire closer to the turn radius for better handling. Wheel spacers themselves don't really bother me.

Since I am sprung under, the next question I need to answer is whether my 17" rims with 3.75" backspacing will clear the 1-ton TRE's I use on standard steering arms without wheel spacers

I converted a FJ60 axle to a full floater using a flange from FROR, with new front spindles, and front wheel hubs from my front axle and then put new perches on the housing to line up with the FJ40 springs. The flanges from FROR have mounting points for Toyota calipers.

Then got a big brake kit that came with IFS wheel hubs and 13.3 inch Toyota rotors and calipers. The IFS hubs moved the wheel mounting flange out1.5" on each side so the track is close to the modified rear axle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom