fj45 rear bumper ideas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here is my version that I put together, pretty stout mounted to the frame. I put a new crossmember in the back of the frame1/4” in thickness with the bumper being 3/16” plenty stout

64371C69-8343-4F2A-B726-5CA0B3AE3F26.jpeg

6969331E-C616-496A-983A-E8C1FF7FD735.jpeg

@47coeman I was looking at your bumper and kinda copied your homework for my design.

Hey @crikeymike what ever happened to that BJ74?
Sold it to a fella down south several years back now and he was going to do a full frame off resto on it. I believe he did, but I never heard from him again, and I think he also changed the color too.

I had some good fun with it for a bit over a year, I miss it a lot sometimes too!! Glad to be back in touch with you again.

Back on this project.

Started working on a non-reverse light option with a license plate bracket. I will most likely intergrade a license plate light from an late model FJ40? I am going to make it in 3 pieces that bolt together, so it could be installed without a forklift or a team.

PRODUCTION BUMPER.PNG

fj40 licence plate light for rear bumper.PNG

Don’t have my 45 in front of me at the moment, but IIRC, I mounted the plate close to center with the bottom flush with the bottom of the bumper. Still enough room to drop the tailgate without hitting it.

Here’s a crappy copy of the calendar cover
1634164146420.jpeg

Ditto, let me know where to send funds.

First production style bumper hit the shop floor this morning.

I will come with all mounting the hardware. You will need a tape measure, drill and socket set to install.

FINAL BUMPER.PNG

Options will be:
- add reverse light provision
- add Hi-lift jack provision
- I would use a shackle on the clevis but some may have a safety concerns
- will be the same as the ARB provision with rubber plug
- add bottom slider/ bottle opener.
- add Caterpillar black powder coat

Basic bumper will cost $976.50
- powder coat + $150
- bottom sliders + $50

Odd question I know but the Florida or Georgia location? Cause some of us might drive thru Georgia from time to time, And / or could make for a road trip. Gas in the Prius is the same as shipping on something that large. especially if it is in Georgia.. Florida? Not so much..

and what exactly is the "bottom slider/bottle opener" part.
this? fj45 rear bumper ideas - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj45-rear-bumper-ideas.35465/page-5#post-13924697

And totally boxed in or would one be able to get a nut and or wiring inside? Thinking out loud if I would want to wire up a license plate light or add an external bottle opener? Not a huge fan of a piece of steel on the end that will catch my clothing. But the face looks like the perfect place to add something like a Starr-X or MagCap bottle opener. Also looks plenty stout so one could just drill and tap..

I guess my concerns are an open bottle, a license plate that meets the state inspection requirements, and the tow hitch

Thank you for taking the time to do this for the little motley crew in this sub-forum.

@tornadoalleycruiser thank you for your interest and input.

Bumpers will be manufactured in Orange Park, FL just south of Jacksonville using domestically sourced steel.

Bottom Slider/ Bottle Opener/ HI-Lift jack side mount is what you have linked above.

This design is completely boxed in. It will have weld-nuts TIG welded on the inside for the license plate and frame attachments. ( see image)

weld nuts.PNG

The 1st bumper that we built for the shop truck has reverse light built into the bumper. It has IP66 rated electrical bulkhead on the back side to help seal the electrical. ( I still dumped a can of fluid film in the cavity)
wiring bulkhead.PNG

If anybody requires a license plate light, I would use an OEM light from an FJ40 that is still available and similar style electrical bulkhead on the forward facing side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom