fj45 rear bumper ideas (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 67 fj45 pick up with a stock bed. I am looking to find suggestions for some sort of rear bumper other than the frame. i know the box is virtually irreplacable so i want to have something to protect it while offroading but obviously departure angle is already an issue and dont want to make it any worse. I plan on using the vehicle for offraoding and camping and it currently has a 4" lift ith 35's. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mine has a tube rear bumper, i have to put a flat deck on though because the box was too rusted out.

mine has this monstrous thing not bad looking though
my45_4.JPG

I sorta like the modifications that TLC4X4 made to mate a Kaymar bumper/tire carrier to the rear end of a few of their FJ45. Don't know what was involved with that, but I'm sure some cutting was required. No good photos on their website.

Great plans from all. This weekend I will have to shoot pictures of thes beast and hear what nyou think. Thank you again

Here's what I built for mine.
Bumper1.JPG
Bumper2.JPG
Built with 2x4x1/4 tubing. Simple and tough. Figured it suited the stock look I was aiming for. I won't be pulling a trailer so didn't bother building a receiver into it but it would be easy enough to add.

Here are a few shots of my bumper. It was made by a local fab shop. He has made a jig and kept the cad file for future use. It has a class IV trailer hitch built into it and the recovery points are fully intergrated as well.

7A3223A2-7C5B-42F5-821E-A8C4D4061221.jpeg
0ABE2031-7361-4AEC-8F03-3F371A9B6647.jpeg
419E5E93-83B7-4698-9E23-8883F8207E99.jpeg
D9899F78-B808-4240-84A2-289554DE6936.jpeg

I pretty much copied the receiver on the blue 64 -@65swb45

When I bought the truck from Jim, it already had a good bumper, and I added the receiver mid channel. License plate is on the passenger side, flush to bottom of bumper & I’ve dragged the whole thing a few times

How do you winch the spare tire down and up?
A little cut out behind the license plate. Was going to put a hinged license plate on it but didn't like the looks of it so opted for just removing 2 bolts to get the plate off. Not something I expect to have to do a lot since I don't do any serious off roading and I put less than 5,000 k a year on it :)

Here's what I built for mine. View attachment 1794080 View attachment 1794081 Built with 2x4x1/4 tubing. Simple and tough. Figured it suited the stock look I was aiming for. I won't be pulling a trailer so didn't bother building a receiver into it but it would be easy enough to add.
Like the simplicity and usefulness of this bumper a definite plus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom