FJ40 questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK I know this has been asked alot I bet but didnt see the sticky on it ... IN the spring selling my 88 Nissan hardbody to get a FJ40 for a DD and light wheeler 33" max tires . etc ... what is the best years to look for and trouble spots etc ...aside from the horrendous rust on the rear quarters that 40's seem to suffer from .

l1978 witha build date of 1/78 or later it the best rig to start with. Unless you want to do an engine swap and still comply with emissions rregs. Then a 1974 model would be the way to go. But only from the emissions legality of it.

Unless you have the bucks to spend for a very nice and seldom wheeled rig, you will want to plan on ongoing repairs and maintenance from the day you buy it.

Obviously watch for body rust. Not just the rear quarters but the doors, front fenders, floor, rear door sill... EVERYWHERE. AL diamond plate over the rear quarters almost always means it's covering up rust. Why else would anyone put that on a rig? Beware of bondo and crap over rust (see the ref to Dave dirtbag below). Look at the rust situation in the rear frame too. Watch for hacked up wiring and poorly done mods. Expect that you will be dealing with wheel, knuckle, pinion and T/C output bearings. Expect that you will have steering were points in need of attention. Expect that the brakes will need at least a little attention (it still amazes me how few people know that they have to manually adjust the drum brakes on these rigs). Be careful believing stories about "recently rebuilt" engines. :(

Be careful buying a Cruiser in Anchorage. Dave Dirtbag is still around and still filling beaters full of bondo, cardboard, chickenwire and cheap paint before he lies his ass off about them and sells them for top prices. I think he has a late model '60 in the paper now. Claiming "No rust no dents" None unhidden anyway. :( :(

Mark...

Actually there are a number of shortcomings with some of the F motors. Most notably an oiling system which pumps debris back to the bearings without filtering it! And the three speed... Well it's too heavy for a paper weight and too light for dog tie out... So what's it good for? ;)

Mark...

Mark W said:
Actually there are a number of shortcomings with some of the F motors. Most notably an oiling system which pumps debris back to the bearings without filtering it! And the three speed... Well it's too heavy for a paper weight and too light for dog tie out... So what's it good for? ;)

Mark...

road block for heeps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom