FJ40 engine max RPM? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guysIm completely repairing my Fj40 1980 2F engine (in last adjustments, pics comig soon), and want to improve the ignition system, im installing an MSD (MSD-6AL ignition control and blaster2 coil) so i want to know wich is the max RPM it can reach?That 'cause this Ingition control has a "rev limiter", wich i have to know to pug it in and prevent engine damage.I want to replace the spark plug wires and coil wire too, but I didnt found MSD 8.5mm universal wires that fit with cruisers, do you know another options?Engine was stock except by the Downey's torque cam,33" tireshope you can help me Regards

If properly rebuilt, you should be able to get 3600 without a problem.

I read Mark W saying your not utilizing the 2F unless its pushed to 5K.

Would depend a lot on what was done with the rebuild. If it has been balanced and given a hotter cam (and breathing to match) >4000 would be very reasonable. I've had my stock 3FE to the 4500 redline, and plan to take my 2FE up there too when situations demand it.

Hi All:

I set the redline on the aftermarket tach on my rig at 4K due to a Mark Whatley recommendation of not going over 4k RPM in a stock 2F.

Regards,

Alan

I read Mark W saying your not utilizing the 2F unless its pushed to 5K.

The factory rates the HP at 3600.... you can push a lot higher than that without giving it a thought.

I shift at 4000 with stock 2Fs every time I run through 2nd gear merging in traffic. EVERY TIME. LOTS of different rigs.

A stock 2F will take bursts to 5000 if it is in nominal condition.

4000 is a good safe redline, and with stock cam that is the sweet spot in the HP band anyway.

If it is built and beefed some it will take more and it will make enough power to make it worth taking it higher.
IIRC Andrew Farmer (RIP) was pushing his built 2F over 6000 routinely... same basic build that a lot of us do. Not sure what Matt McCinnes is pushing his 2FETI up to, but pretty sure he is busting 6K too. I'd keep stock rod bolts under 5500 though.

Mark...

Last edited:
Rev limiter is set to 5500 RPM, it used to be higher but going over that gains very little. Power start to tail off after 5000 shifting gear is a better option for me.

I have the luxury of been able to pull the next gear though :D

Looking forward to Mark having a a taste of her power later this year at ACT2010.

I shift my 2F at 4,000 rpms and have the redline on my tach set there.
Sure, I suppose I could push it higher than that, but even at 4k, the motor sounds like its going to explode (figuratively speaking, of course).

My mental redline for my balanced 2FE is 4000rpm. It frequently sees it too on freeway onramps and playing in the snow.

Max Sustained RPM??

What is the max sustained RPM (highway speed)? Can a 2f safely run at 3600 RPM for long periods of time?

Max Sustained RPM??

What is the max sustained RPM (highway speed)? Can a 2f safely run at 3600 RPM for long periods of time?
This is the question I want answered as well.. im running 4.88's with 37s, but usually cut mine off at 2500rpm because as tigerstripe40 mentioned, it sounds like its going to explode. I only hit around 50 to 55mph usually and I call it quits there.

Max Sustained RPM??

This is the question I want answered as well.. im running 4.88's with 37s, but usually cut mine off at 2500rpm because as tigerstripe40 mentioned, it sounds like its going to explode. I only hit around 50 to 55mph usually and I call it quits there.

I have run mine at 2,800-2,900 rpm for hours at a time on the highway with no problem and no ill effects.

I’m in the same boat as @CruisinGA, except I don’t have a tach. Just shift and put the foot to the floor. I shift based on where I’m driving.

1st = dead stop
2nd = in town driving
3rd = highway

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom