The Brown Truck - My 1982 Toyota Pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey, if you ever want to part with those old fenders, let me know. I'd like to find a set of early 80 4wd fenders.

Thanks

P.S. I love this little truck

Hey, if you ever want to part with those old fenders, let me know. I'd like to find a set of early 80 4wd fenders.

Thanks

P.S. I love this little truck
I have three pairs of first gen 4WD fenders. What are you looking for in particular?

I have three pairs of first gen 4WD fenders. What are you looking for in particular?

Just a clean-ish uncut set of 4wd fenders for an early pickup. I have a 1983 LWB diesel truck that I got from my dad. It is a 2wd truck and I am pondering doing a restoration on it and converting it to 4wd. I've always loved the lines of the early 80s trucks and this one has some history so would be worth the work.

Just a clean-ish uncut set of 4wd fenders for an early pickup. I have a 1983 LWB diesel truck that I got from my dad. It is a 2wd truck and I am pondering doing a restoration on it and converting it to 4wd. I've always loved the lines of the early 80s trucks and this one has some history so would be worth the work.
The only un-cut set of fenders I have are the brown ones that were on the truck. I haven’t decided what the plan is for those yet so I’ll let you know if I decide to sell them!

So to finish updating this build thread, we have come to the final chapter in the truck's current history. After a great weekend of wheeling at Black Mountain Off-Road park in Harlan, Ky, I had to make the drive home to Winston. This drive was shorter than the drive I had already made from South Carolina so I wasn't too concerned. The first hint that this would be an interesting drive came on a downhill grade. I was trucking along and all of a sudden smoke started coming in to the cab from the passenger floorboard area. Fearing an electrical fire i made quick maneuvers off the side of the highway and frantically jumped out and disconnected the battery and investigated. What I found was not an electrical fire but rather excessive oil leaving the valve cover and burning off the header. I didn't have an answer or a desire to diagnose the issue on the side of a highway to i got back in and kept on trucking. After crossing in to Virginia and hitting the interstate, the drive got bad. I was doing everything I could to keep out of the way on the interstate as I was suffocating in the cab from oil fumes and finally i had been passed by tractor trailers one too many times and i pulled off at a rest stop. At the rest stop I discovered that not only had the oil discharge become a larger issue, but my rearend was now leaking profusely, I decided I would make the rest of the drive home on two lanes even though it meant doubling the time I had left on the road from 2 to 4 hours and I went on down and exit to begin the adventure. I filled up with gas and noticed my gear oil leak left a puddle in the time it took to fill up a 12 gallon gas tank. So I found the nearest auto parts store to address the issue. I bought a couple quarts of gear oil to have extra and put about half a quart in the rear diff. I also bought rags to ziptie around the valve cover breather in hopes that my oil issue was just a matter of a low quality Chinese breather. I hit the road and got onto the two lanes following my GPS. First I was directed up a mountain in Jefferson national Forest and this is when I discovered I had a big issue. I hit the mountain and had very little power. I was making a smoke screen behind me and barely moving in first gear. I pulled off the road and tried to think. I called my buddy who's dad built my engine and talked it over with him. We decided that it was a breather issue so i ditched the rags to open her up more and cleaned up the oil and added some more. I also decided to go a different way. So I turned around and headed back out where I had come from. I started up a different road that was nothing more than a low grade, my truck wouldn't even pull up this so I knew I had a serious issue. I pulled off the road to address the issue and had no cell service. No one would stop to help me so I realized my only option was to find service. I rolled back down and saw a sign for a gas station at a fork in the road. Well of course I went to wrong way at the intersection and up another mountain. I made it up about a mile and realized I couldn't make it any farther. I pulled off the road once again and decided to walk to the gas station, not realizing I was going the wrong way. So I walked about a mile up this mountain, paranoid all my possessions would be gone from my truck when I got back. Now it was dark, and cold, as Virginia usually is in December. And I was on top of an isolated mountain with no cell service. So I walked the mile back down to my truck and got in. I got it turned around and COASTED a mile back down the mountain to the fork in the road. I pulled off at an abandoned building and prayed my truck would start. I got it fired up and thankfully it moved under its own power. So I was able to limp it to the gas station I had seen the sign for 2 miles down the road. Now I can preface this with there was NOTHING where I was. I had gotten off the interstate in Chilhowie vriginia and was now in an unincorporated community off Konnarock road. Thankfully the Konnarock Store & Gas was still open for 30 more minutes when I rolled up to it. I called my dad with their landline and he said to call AAA, fortunately my mother had added me to our AAA plan and upgraded to platinum members because I guess I have a reputation for inconvenient vehicular failure. I call AAA and have a battle with the lady, she is telling me this that and the other about how the driver won't tow me because I have things in the bed of my truck and because its leaking fluid but finally I got her to get me a roll back. She said it would be 45minutes tops before the driver got there, this was at 7:15 PM. The gas station closed at 7:30. So i began sitting in my truck, in the un lit gas station parking lot, in the middle of no where Virginia, at night. You could say I was paranoid at the least. I occupied myself by eating a box of Whales and drinking a coke and planning out how to defend myself when I got mugged. 8:00 P.M. came and went and still no sign of a roll back. And with no way to contact anyone, I just had to wait. FINALLY, after almost 3 hours, the roll back arrives. And let me tell you it was a sight for sore eyes. We got my truck loaded up and hit the road for Winston. I made friend's with the roll back driver and had a much more pleasant ride back to NC. And thanks to AAA premier and 200mi towing coverage, my 150mi tow was free.

I'll catch you up on what turned out to be wrong with my truck afterwhile.

Some pictures from the drive home:
48BA9EF3-6886-42DE-B812-11AAAD333170.jpeg
85D91C57-910B-4FAD-BB9C-D97E0E787131.jpeg
2D46F8F9-7A22-42F2-8BA1-BD4354D93F7F.jpeg
17CC43B8-8A53-4424-8AD7-FEEF25CF7EB1.jpeg

So, for the diagnosis. The strangest part about this was the lack of blow by. You would expect with oil pouring out of the valve cover, for there to be blow by, but the only smoke was from the oil burning off the header, that was until the next day. The next day my buddy brought over a compression tester. I don't remember the exact numbers but i believe it went 150,150,140,50. So it was apparent that there was a large issue on cylinder four. We then started it up for the first time since being towed home and now it was chooching like a train out of the valve cover. Knowing there was only one way to fix this, out came the engine. Upon teardown we discovered that all of the pistons had begun melting. This meant there was either a fuel or ignition issue. When I first bought the truck the ringlands were completely eaten out of the pistons so we deduced the carb wasn't giving enough gas to the engine. I solved this with some large new jets. Based off of the super sooty exhaust it certainly wasn't running lean, so we believe it to be an ignition issue, what exactly the issue is remains a mystery, but the best guess at this point is the distributor was advancing and not retarding. Now with this there should have been lots of detonation, which I never heard nor did anyone else. I had nothing else to listen to when I was driving so if it was detonating my best explanation for not hearing it was i have never heard it before so i therefore didn't notice it, but i'm honestly not sure. And as for the rear-end leaking, it appears the breather got clogged with mud or broke and the housing was pressurizing and it had to go somewhere so it blew out the RTV.

Looking towards the future, these issue happened at the start of my Christmas break for college, I wanted to hone the cylinders, throw new pistons in it, surface the head and slap her back together and figure out the ignition issue, but that was met with the issue of the machine shop fitting, and then me being told I wad not allowed to work on the truck anymore and that I needed to focus on school. So as of right now my truck is sitting in my driveway, on jackstands, no wheels and tires, no engine, with a large piece of plastic ratchet strapped over the cab. Until I get out for the summer in early may, that is her life sadly.

Now for what I plan to do her, that is another story. I had intended to fix the engine I had, considering it had 1200mi on it and I dropped ridiculous amounts of money into it, and I still plan to get her back together, but for now she has been pushed to the back burner. I stumbled into a deal on a drivetrain I couldn't pass up. It was an '85ish 22R, with a G54 transmission, and gear drive transfercase, PLUS brand new in the box Trail Gear 4.7 transfer case gears, for $500. So i scooped it up and have it in my grandfathers work shop now. The engine is 100% original minus the short tube header and in very nice shape, supposedly has only 100k miles on it. I plan to buy a top-shift transfer case, install the 4.7s, throw the case on to the drivetrain, and stick the whole thing into my truck. That way I will be able to sell off the R150F transmission, turbo 22R bellhousing, and chain drive transfercase that are currently installed in my truck. I will stick my Weber carb and header on the engine and run it how she is. And use the coil and condenser that came with the new engine to eliminate all of my old ignition system.

In addition to the drivetrain modifications, I will also be installing some TG 3" springs I bought, my HP FJ80 E-locker diff, as well as assorted shackles, spring hangers, and extended brake lines. And installing some square tube rock sliders I picked up. So I will be locked front and rear, on 35s, with a 75:1 crawl ratio, flexy springs, and rock sliders.

Last edited:
So what part of this is "focusing more on school"? ;)

Sounds like you have a knack for deals... ever think about going into day trading...

So what part of this is "focusing more on school"? ;)

Sounds like you have a knack for deals... ever think about going into day trading...
I certainly can find some deals, but it seems they are all car related haha

Well as it turns out that great deal on that drivetrain was still a great deal, but as usual the curse of the brown truck had to rear its ugly head first. The engine looked great, as did the Tcase. But the trans looked like it sat at the bottom of the ocean. My buddy jacob and I took it apart, it was completely seized. We actually managed to ‘fix’ it. I bought an $80 trans off marketplace as a spare but still wanted to install the rusty one just to see if it would work. But jscob didn’t want to help me pull it again if it didn’t so we installed the $80 one and the rusty one is just a spare now.
BBC39C53-A765-40E8-B2D2-1BAA17C6DD77.jpeg
A2546162-807A-4510-8B70-4F345D90FD1B.jpeg
BE97A063-B82B-432C-A4AB-444F4F48536A.jpeg
59FA228B-E37C-4123-ABEE-466146273CFC.jpeg
27AB5622-E362-4B88-B4DF-A15C2B06BD6B.jpeg

Well as it turns out that great deal on that drivetrain was still a great deal, but as usual the curse of the brown truck had to rear its ugly head first. The engine looked great, as did the Tcase. But the trans looked like it sat at the bottom of the ocean. My buddy jacob and I took it apart, it was completely seized. We actually managed to ‘fix’ it. I bought an $80 trans off marketplace as a spare but still wanted to install the rusty one just to see if it would work. But jscob didn’t want to help me pull it again if it didn’t so we installed the $80 one and the rusty one is just a spare now.View attachment 2296363View attachment 2296364View attachment 2296365View attachment 2296366View attachment 2296367

I count 24 pieces of flair, not bad. But...

1588737495067.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom